• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Ings - Burnley's Number 10

Well, 'Pool generally play with two strikers, and another player right behind them as an AM/trequartista: I'd wager Ings thinks he'll be one of the starters beside Sturridge. Austin's undoubtedly grateful to have hit the heights he did, but I think he'll want to try to stay in that England side, which by extension means wanting to play regularly somewhere. And with the news about Soton being the prime movers in his case, it isn't like he's only got the option of a bench role for a bigger team or a starting role for a smaller one: he could be starting week in, week out for one of the better teams in the land, with good options up front and a crying need for a physical centre-forward exactly like him to complement those options.

I would hope that against lower table teams, at home, we will play with two strikers as well; plus European and cup games... that's easily 35 games a season!

I would hope that against lower table teams, at home, we will play with two strikers as well; plus European and cup games... that's easily 35 games a season!

I can't see us chopping and changing formations next season. Poch has a preferred way of playing and I would imagine that his priority this summer is getting in more players who are suited to that, rather than buy players to fit several systems.

I can't see us chopping and changing formations next season. Poch has a preferred way of playing and I would imagine that his priority this summer is getting in more players who are suited to that, rather than buy players to fit several systems.

I would be very disappointed if that were to be the case... the best coaches in the world are characterised by their ability to tweak (not change) their sides to gain maximum advantage. Seeing as we are also rans in terms of finances and transfer draw, we can only compete by being better than them tactically. If Poch cannot be that, then we have no hope in hell of getting into the promised land of the CL.

I would be very disappointed if that were to be the case... the best coaches in the world are characterised by their ability to tweak (not change) their sides to gain maximum advantage. Seeing as we are also rans in terms of finances and transfer draw, we can only compete by being better than them tactically. If Poch cannot be that, then we have no hope in hell of getting into the promised land of the CL.

Which coaches do you have in mind when you say that? I may well be wrong but I would have said that there are not many top coaches currently who chop and change.

Which coaches do you have in mind when you say that? I may well be wrong but I would have said that there are not many top coaches currently who chop and change.

Guardiola, Mourinho, Van Gaal just to name a few. Even Rodgers last season.... though maybe least said the better in his case :); Ferguson was a master of the formation tweak and then of course I give you the guru of them all... Arrigo Sacchi!

Guardiola, Mourinho, Van Gaal just to name a few. Even Rodgers last season.... though maybe least said the better in his case :); Ferguson was a master of the formation tweak and then of course I give you the guru of them all... Arrigo Sacchi!

I don't see Guardiola or Mourinho changing formation very often

That tailoring and adaptability hasn't done much to help Borini, Lambert, Aspas and Balotelli fit in at Liverpool. All signed under Rodgers, all essentially flops. Even if you don't count Aspas as a striker that's 3 misses for the one his (Sturridge) of the strikers signed under Rodgers. I struggle to see how that makes a good argument for his ability to tailor and adapt.

Well, look at the difference between his approach at Swansea and in his most successful season at Liverpool: He used a 4-3-3 formation in 37 games at Swansea in 2011-2012, but the 2013/2014 season saw him employ a diamond in midfield and two men up front, which legitimately got the best out of every player in that side. I'd say that's being superbly adaptable, even as the basics of his playing style (pass and move, quick transitions, high press) translated nicely from one club to the other.

I don't see Guardiola or Mourinho changing formation very often

I haven't seen enough of Guardiolas teams to really comment on him, but your wrong about Jose, he will make in match changes in formation ( 2 or 3 times if needed). One of the things I enjoyed about him vs Benitez is the fact that they would both change formations make adaptations in game, to counter each other.

I haven't seen enough of Guardiolas teams to really comment on him, but your wrong about Jose, he will make in match changes in formation ( 2 or 3 times if needed). One of the things I enjoyed about him vs Benitez is the fact that they would both change formations make adaptations in game, to counter each other.

Mourinho certainly changes players and tactics but I don't recall him departing from 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 often.

Mourinho certainly changes players and tactics but I don't recall him departing from 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 often.

That's too simplistic of a view. Its about what the players in the formation do, changing from standing off to high press for example. Driving at the opposition, then slowing it and passing to affect the opposition shape, then take it too then again, catch them off guard.

That's too simplistic of a view. Its about what the players in the formation do, changing from standing off to high press for example. Driving at the opposition, then slowing it and passing to affect the opposition shape, then take it too then again, catch them off guard.

I get that but the conversation started from MF's call for us to start two strikers against weaker opposition and using Mourinho as an example of a manager who chops and changes formations like this, I don't see that.

Good luck to him
He has gone to a club that really needs to find its identity again and a manager who appear to be a bit of a space cadet.
He may step up and become a hell of a player or he may just plod along

Good luck to him, would have liked us to have signed him but I guess he wanted to go to Liverpool. Will be interesting to see how it pans out for them next season.

Liverpool are signing players who are used to the league, I think that will help them, If they are good enough to push them into the top four remains to be seen.

oh what a surprise :rolleyes:

iirc this deal was agreed privately back in Jan, Spurs were never ever in with a chance. No-one was, he wanted to join Liverpool and he has got his wish

Back