• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I agree with you on every single bit of that.

My question came from this idea that we shouldn’t believe the rumours. I took it to mean that the club probably had it all in hand and we should just wait and see. If it was simply a comment on the connectedness of a few journalists (and people are using them as a proxy to express the fact that 2 months have passed and we have no top candidate) then I’m totally cool with that - I don’t care about them, I care about the club. And I agree with everything you just said there.

That is what you come to when you assume instead of understanding . But at least you do now seem to accept that was not what was being said. Good to see some progress at least.

That is what you come to when you assume instead of understanding . But at least you do now seem to accept that was not what was being said. Good to see some progress at least.

Oh, you again.

I’m guessing you agree with what Billy said too? That if there was a plan it looks like it has long since out the window, and that unless it’s an ETH level person then it’s hard to rationalise how we’ve taken this search?

Because I definitely got the sense from you that you were asking us not to believe everything we read because you thought the club had it all in hand. If it was just that you really, really hate Twitter, then all is good! We are agreeing!

You accused people of jumping off of a cliff over ‘nothing’. Are you now saying that there might have been some truth to some of those links? Are you in any way concerned about the length of time this is taking?

Because I think people are concerned about the time as much as anything else. You say it’s ‘nothing’, which would indicate you believe the club has it under control. Unless you believe we have been talking to a different basket of managers entirely that has not entirely unreported?

Oh, you again.

I’m guessing you agree with what Billy said too? That if there was a plan it looks like it has long since out the window, and that unless it’s an ETH level person then it’s hard to rationalise how we’ve taken this search?

Because I definitely got the sense from you that you were asking us not to believe everything we read because you thought the club had it all in hand. If it was just that you really, really hate Twitter, then all is good! We are agreeing!

Well you are right about me saying you should not believe every thing you read on the likes of T w ATT er, I have no idea what the clubs plans were but i was not screaming and moaning about what was in on social media as others have said they have to fill their space with news, even if its made up. Getting upset about every thing you read is foolish at best but whatever turns you on i guess. But if you do that you have to expect others to to point out ( like many have tried to do on here for a while) that you may be wrong by doing so.

Whatever floats yer boat i guess.

You accused people of jumping off of a cliff over ‘nothing’. Are you now saying that there might have been some truth to some of those links? Are you in any way concerned about the length of time this is taking?

Because I think people are concerned about the time as much as anything else. You say it’s ‘nothing’, which would indicate you believe the club has it under control. Unless you believe we have been talking to a different basket of managers entirely that has not entirely unreported?

Jumping off a cliff was aimed at folks who were losing their brick over nothing but mainly T w At te r posts. I am not saying i am happy that we have not got a manager yet of course but as NONE of us knows what is really happening i just think s ome are jumping the gun.

Last edited:
Why is howe not being linked to the jobs (not just us)? Especially us if we have a dof.

Yes he got Bournemouth relegated, after bringing them up from league 2 (first season was on -17 points).

Am i missing something?

Well you are right about me saying you should not believe every thing you read on the likes of T w ATT er, I have no idea what the clubs plans were but i was not screaming and moaning about what was in on social media as others have said they have to fill their space with news, even if its made up. Getting upset about every thing you read is foolish at best but whatever turns you on i guess. But if you do that you have to expect others to to point out ( like many have tried to do on here for a while) that you may be wrong by doing so.

I was upset at Poch and Conte stories for different reasons, but I think most people have gone on a bit of a journey with Fonseca and Gattuso that looks something like:

1. Fonseca? The guy Roma just sacked and replaced with Jose?
  2. Actually I’ve looked into him, he seems like a good guy, plays good football and can work with our young players, plus he had rubbish luck with injuries last year.
  3. Looking forward to Fonseca joining!
  4. Gattuso? Wtf!
It’s the sudden nature of the switch, for a manager that has no record that should hold our attention (let alone his political beliefs), after it seemed like we had got deep with Fonseca, who was underwhelming in the first place.

I appreciate what you are saying, it’s not worth getting worked up over everything. But even if we accept Gattuso was never as nailed on as some stories appeared, the Fonseca link was pretty firmly established for almost 2 weeks. I think people just want to feel like the club has it under control, and is working towards a plan in our best interests. The Fonseca links definitely looked more certain, and it calls into question what we are really playing at. Is the club aligned? Are Levy and Paratici? Are we actually an attractive proposition? The sudden nature of the switch away from Fonseca suggests that we are scrambling about a bit. Certainly if we were about to sign him and then could so easily be swayed away, it calls into question the quality of our interview process and decision making.

So in general I can agree with you it’s not worth over reacting about everything. But this whole Fonseca thing I think is fair to say calls into question some of the club’s decisions in the last two months.

I was upset at Poch and Conte stories for different reasons, but I think most people have gone on a bit of a journey with Fonseca and Gattuso that looks something like:

2. Actually I’ve looked into him, he seems like a good guy, plays good football and can work with our young players, plus he had rubbish luck with injuries last year.
  4. Gattuso? Wtf!
It’s the sudden nature of the switch, for a manager that has no record that should hold our attention (let alone his political beliefs), after it seemed like we had got deep with Fonseca, who was underwhelming in the first place.

I appreciate what you are saying, it’s not worth getting worked up over everything. But even if we accept Gattuso was never as nailed on as some stories appeared, the Fonseca link was pretty firmly established for almost 2 weeks. I think people just want to feel like the club has it under control, and is working towards a plan in our best interests. The Fonseca links definitely looked more certain, and it calls into question what we are really playing at. Is the club aligned? Are Levy and Paratici? Are we actually an attractive proposition? The sudden nature of the switch away from Fonseca suggests that we are scrambling about a bit. Certainly if we were about to sign him and then could so easily be swayed away, it calls into question the quality of our interview process and decision making.

So in general I can agree with you it’s not worth over reacting about everything. But this whole Fonseca thing I think is fair to say calls into question some of the club’s decisions in the last two months.

Really mate you have every right to believe what you want ( right or wrong). But we are going round in circles and, you think or seem to be pretty clear that the club have no idea what they are doing ( based on stuff mainy on T w A tt er) and that is fine, personally i believe you assume to much and again that is my belief( right or wrong).

Who is right or who is wrong does not really matter that much, we support our club and we both want the same thing at the end of the day.

Last edited:

4. Gattuso? Wtf!

I get what you are saying and agree with it.

But to play devils advocate watch the tifo video of bielsa.

He started as coach of a university football team. He had trials for 3000 people before selecting his team.

When he took over old boys he divided the whole country into segments and had trials in each.

He was considered a genius.

Spurs interview and look at a lot of coaches, we're considered a shambles.

He started as coach of a university football team. He had trials for 3000 people before selecting his team.

When he took over old boys he divided the whole country into segments and had trials in each.

I would love to believe it’s because we’re methodically interviewing candidates, and will soon select the best one for us.

It just looks from the outside that we are moving through a selection of available managers on a relatively cheap salary, who Paratici seems to know. I think we’ve struggled to attract someone who is both proven at the level we are and aspire to be. And so we seem to be in a position where all of the possible candidates it could be are much of a muchness, all have risks and trade offs, and no one looks remotely proven at the level we need.

And maybe that’s fine. Maybe management hasn’t produced many candidates, when you consider OGS is still in the United job. But it doesn’t look like we’ve been methodical. When we hired Poch, it looked like we had an exact idea of the type of manager we wanted, and we interviewed a group of people, and got someone right for us. Totally fine to not get LVG, not a shambles, because the next choice also exhibited the exact same criteria, and was proven at the things we needed them to do. (Work with young players, use the academy, build a system. LVG was more proven, but Poch had the exact same traits)

I don’t get that same sense with this search. It’s been all over the place, and now there doesn’t look like there is a top candidate who will make the time it has taken be worth it, unless we pull out Ten Hag.

I would love to believe it’s because we’re methodically interviewing candidates, and will soon select the best one for us.

It just looks from the outside that we are moving through a selection of available managers on a relatively cheap salary, who Paratici seems to know. I think we’ve struggled to attract someone who is both proven at the level we are and aspire to be. And so we seem to be in a position where all of the possible candidates it could be are much of a muchness, all have risks and trade offs, and no one looks remotely proven at the level we need.

And maybe that’s fine. Maybe management hasn’t produced many candidates, when you consider OGS is still in the United job. But it doesn’t look like we’ve been methodical. When we hired Poch, it looked like we had an exact idea of the type of manager we wanted, and we interviewed a group of people, and got someone right for us. Totally fine to not get LVG, not a shambles, because the next choice also exhibited the exact same criteria, and was proven at the things we needed them to do. (Work with young players, use the academy, build a system. LVG was more proven, but Poch had the exact same traits)

I don’t get that same sense with this search. It’s been all over the place, and now there doesn’t look like there is a top candidate who will make the time it has taken be worth it, unless we pull out Ten Hag.

Media dramatise stuff. But which coaches are actually off the table? We could still get conte as far as i know. Or someone else.

Levy has always worked to his own timetable. He will go to the last minute of the transfer window if he has to. If he gets it he gets it. Or not.

Yes we hate it. Also think it can hold us back. But he has a different mindset to us.

And you, in turn, should accept that some might point out you might be wrong to dismiss people as promptly as you sometimes do.

An interesting thing to remember on the "daily quota" thing is that the Pitt-Brooks and Golds of this world are very, very transparent about when they are making up the page space with cycling rumours versus laying down a specific set of things heard/fed. They are very different. Ornstein is also very credible.

As for those dismissing the lack of quotes, that will often happen to protect a source.

I think it is far too easy to write it all off as "journos trumping", fanciful even. Let's face it, been pretty quiet the past few days, proving that the feed can cease when necessary and the beat scribblers don't necessarily have to fill space daily.

Why is howe not being linked to the jobs (not just us)? Especially us if we have a dof.

Yes he got Bournemouth relegated, after bringing them up from league 2 (first season was on -17 points).

Am i missing something?

Yeah he's not really that good

It's not a cop out to say we don't know what's happening or to question the validity of what gets printed/posted when it's backed up by nothing more than 'insider info'. Usually that's called being sensible but in the world of football gossip this seems to mark you down as a nut these days, go figure.

We know we're 2+ months down the line from sacking Jose without a manager in place and there's some strong links to certain managers that we've likely spoken to over that time. We also know we've appointed a DoF recently - that's about it. People are using rumours to fill in blanks.

AG & co are little more than glorified ITKs, i have no doubt they get actual info from time to time, same as Jetset and Hercules etc but as we've seen plenty they also they jump on rumours doing the rounds that stem from the likes of Fabrizo Romano so it's foolish to take anything they print as fact.
That's where you're wrong imo. Professional journalists do tend to have more insider contacts and knowledge than soo called itks, and greater limits on what they can say, because they are at much greater risk of being sued.

So comparing a journalist who actually puts their name to what they write versus anonymous itks who use pseudonyms is foolish in my view.

I'm not saying journalists don't make stuff up, but I general they are much more likely to in possession of at least some of the facts than an itk ramdo who won't even put their name to their Internet ramblings.

The article below references a recent cricket case but a lot of the same principles apply to sports journalism in general and the legal risks involved

https://medium.com/mind-your-matter...ace-from-defaming-a-cricket-star-ca076001fdff

Last edited:
That's where you're wrong imo. Professional journalists do tend to have more insider contacts and knowledge than soo called itks, abd greater limits on what they can say, because they are at much greater risk of being sued.

So comparing a journalist who actually puts their name to what they write versus anonymous itks who use pseudonyms is foolish in my view.

I'm not saying journalists don't make stuff up, but I general they are much more likely to I possession kf at least dome of the facts than an itk ramdo who won't even put their name to their Internet ramblings.

The article below references a recent cricket case but a lot of the same principles apply to sports journalism in general and the legal risks involved

https://medium.com/mind-your-matter...ace-from-defaming-a-cricket-star-ca076001fdff
I know our stock isn’t that great but to call being linked with our job a defamation of character seems a little harsh to me :D

I know our stock isn’t that great but to call being linked with our job a defamation of character seems a little harsh to me :D

Criticism of how the club has run it's recruitment campaign could be considered defamatory from a legal perspective if the club were to challenge some of AG's claims about various contacts etc.

Because he had a strategy and we clearly don't. I'm not sure how you could consider our managerial recruitment process anything other than s shambles but seeing as you seem to disagree what do you think is the club's strategy?

Back