• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Getting slightly more serious, if Daniel does decide to step away from certain aspects of the club, and manage the business through delegating (yes I know it sounds crazy - employ managers and give them responsibility, it will never catch on).... what he might consider is allowing one of the team to do the negotiating, the buying. Buying can be taught - the buyers at a retail business I worked for went on horrible courses which broke them down then built them up again and remade them as bastards. Perhaps what Spurs need now is a Chairman/CEO who sets the overall direction then leaves the experts to accomplish it. Whether Daniel Levy could work that way is another question.

Getting slightly more serious, if Daniel does decide to step away from certain aspects of the club, and manage the business through delegating (yes I know it sounds crazy - employ managers and give them responsibility, it will never catch on).... what he might consider is allowing one of the team to do the negotiating, the buying. Buying can be taught - the buyers at a retail business I worked for went on horrible courses which broke them down then built them up again and remade them as bastards. Perhaps what Spurs need now is a Chairman/CEO who sets the overall direction then leaves the experts to accomplish it. Whether Daniel Levy could work that way is another question.

Goodness. Levy’s whole problem is that he behaves like a retail buyer in an environment where the balance of power and trust is completely different. We don’t need professional buyers who have graduated from poundshop courses in how to be a brick. We need football strategists who anticipate the needs of the team and who navigate sustainable commercial relationships in a rather weird micro-economy.

We need football strategists who anticipate the needs of the team and who navigate sustainable commercial relationships in a rather weird micro-economy.
Though many player purchases are one-offs - you may not deal with that club again for several years, so not sure that it is a case of "sustainable relationships". The micro-managing which Levy is famous for, may work well in commercial property, where he is in his element, but Spurs needs a Chairman or CEO now who acts like a normal CEO- someone with experts reporting to him right across the business.

Goodness. Levy’s whole problem is that he behaves like a retail buyer in an environment where the balance of power and trust is completely different. We don’t need professional buyers who have graduated from poundshop courses in how to be a brick. We need football strategists who anticipate the needs of the team and who navigate sustainable commercial relationships in a rather weird micro-economy.

The first post you have ever written that I agree with. Knew it would happen one day.

We need football strategists who anticipate the needs of the team and who navigate sustainable commercial relationships in a rather weird micro-economy.
Though many player purchases are one-offs - you may not deal with that club again for several years, so not sure that it is a case of "sustainable relationships". The micro-managing which Levy is famous for, may work well in commercial property, where he is in his element, but Spurs needs a Chairman or CEO now who acts like a normal CEO- someone with experts reporting to him right across the business.

Is he famous for micro managing? More than other chairmen? He was one of the first to bring in a dof. For deals like modric it was only when it didn't look like happening he stepped in to get it over the line.

The idea that Levy can't work with a DoF type setup is laughable though, as he practically invented the setup in England. If anyone knows the nuances and what works well and does not with scouts and DoF etc, it is Levy. I am sure it depends a great deal on the manager of the day, how they like to work, and not so much on the job title of the people finding talented players. Whether you call the person a scout, manager, coach etc. it comes down to 1. identifying areas of weakness and 2. identifying players with skill or potential. Pre-stadium I think we were renowned for our transfer strategy and hits. But it is prefaced by having a stable manager in place who wants to work with a DoF type setup - and not one who's making their own transfer decisions.

A lot of people are going on about his involvement on the football side of things.
Genuine question, what exactly is his involvement?

It's been made out that he buys players that the manager doesn't want, yet very reliable sources have said that we didn't buy any players in the summer of 2018 because Poch repeatedly turned down players that Levy told him he could get. So either he listens to the manager and doesn't get players he doesn't want or he forces players on the manager. Which is it? Or are people guessing and taking the side that suits their argument?

A lot of people are going on about his involvement on the football side of things.

It's been made out that he buys players that the manager doesn't want, yet very reliable sources have said that we didn't buy any players in the summer of 2018 because Poch repeatedly turned down players that Levy told him he could get. So either he listens to the manager and doesn't get players he doesn't want or he forces players on the manager. Which is it? Or are people guessing and taking the side that suits their argument?

We know for a fact he picks the managers.

And we sign players late in windows giving them no time to work with the squad and no time for the manager to integrate them before the season so they have to hit the ground running. We also hold on to players for too long because we always want the best price. Not an awful model but it does mean we also end up with players lingering around and collecting wages when we could accept slightly less in a transfer fee and get them off the wage bill.

No one really knows
But it’s a forum so we can speculate
We do know he effectively signs the cheques
We do know there is a transfer committee
Beyond that...
he did personally intervene in the Tanguy thing as that was on Amazon
He does have food when the players do but doesn’t appear to be ingrained with the players
His face mask is apparently not effective so that’s a big black mark for him
But yeah everything else is guess work unless someone is ITK

We know for a fact he picks the managers.

And we sign players late in windows giving them no time to work with the squad and no time for the manager to integrate them before the season so they have to hit the ground running. We also hold on to players for too long because we always want the best price. Not an awful model but it does mean we also end up with players lingering around and collecting wages when we could accept slightly less in a transfer fee and get them off the wage bill.

Which chairman in the premier league doesn't pick the manager? I'm sure lewis also has a say in the pick.

No one really knows
But it’s a forum so we can speculate
We do know he effectively signs the cheques
We do know there is a transfer committee
Beyond that...
he did personally intervene in the Tanguy thing as that was on Amazon
He does have food when the players do but doesn’t appear to be ingrained with the players
His face mask is apparently not effective so that’s a big black mark for him
But yeah everything else is guess work unless someone is ITK
Yup, speculate. But it's constantly stated that he's too involved in the football side of things as if it's fact.
Maybe he is, but I don't see where, mainly because I haven't a clue what really goes on behind closed doors.

Yup, speculate. But it's constantly stated that he's too involved in the football side of things as if it's fact.
Maybe he is, but I don't see where, mainly because I haven't a clue what really goes on behind closed doors.
No one has that clue
So we can just guess

Who would you have choose the next manager then?

If you say a dof, who choses the dof?

Ideally a sporting director or DOF. I’m actually not that enamoured with the DOF methodology but if it’s preferable to have an actual football person picking the managers than Levy. He’s the chairman so he would pick the DOF.

Back