• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

The point is Levy made those decisions with forethought, but your critique is with hindsight.

Well yeah as I said, football is a results business. That’s how chairmen, managers and players are ultimately judged. What was the forethought in going for AVB who had underwhelmed at Chelsea just months earlier to the say the least? Or Jose who plays football that our fans detest and the game seems to have passed him by? Or handing Mason the caretaker role just days before a cup final? That is Levy’s job to make big calls like that. Many people have called for him to relinquish control of the football side, even some of his staunch supporters don’t find this viewpoint unreasonable.

His best decision by far was getting Poch. Wasn’t a sure thing but it worked out great for us and we became a well-oiled machine to such an extent that missing out on the top 4 would have been extremely disappointing despite the manager not consistently being given the appropriate tools to do his job.

The worst case scenario is that the many whinges like Dubai and Finny who must be frustrated by something in their lives actually make levy think fuk this for a laugh, and he actually does sell up to some American consortium who knows zip about football. They pump in 100m, then lose interest and use Spurs to fund an NFL side or themselves.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
We can but hope!

Yes US owners who use Spurs to fund an NFL team or themselves are a slim possibility (i think 2 of the 20 PL owners are doing this). I’d happily take my chances at only a 10% likelihood of getting somebody worse.

Any idea why we were the only home team to stick their returning fans in the Gods section of the stadium? For £60 a ticket too (that section doesn't cost £60 for a Category match vs Villa)?

Lot of rumours about Levy needing to keep sponsors on show on the bottom tier with their banners around? Wouldn't surprise me. See no valid reason for that to have been the case? We didn't do that vs Arsenal on the return earlier in season?

Any idea why we were the only home team to stick their returning fans in the Gods section of the stadium? For £60 a ticket too (that section doesn't cost £60 for a Category match vs Villa)?

Lot of rumours about Levy needing to keep sponsors on show on the bottom tier with their banners around? Wouldn't surprise me. See no valid reason for that to have been the case? We didn't do that vs Arsenal on the return earlier in season?

Maybe to avoid a pitch invasion after the game with the anti Enic protesters?

It was Levels 2 and 3 in the South, and level 5 everywhere else.
Those bottom banners aren't sponsors though, they are club banners, slogans etc.
I suspect it was as @Yiddo says, to lower the risk of pitch invasion and to protect the players.

To be fair I’m fine with that (the sponsors thing).... although £60 was a bit of a p!ss take. Saying that though I was in the very back row of the east stand and impressed that the view from there is still very good.

It was Levels 2 and 3 in the South, and level 5 everywhere else.
Those bottom banners aren't sponsors though, they are club banners, slogans etc.
I suspect it was as @Yiddo says, to lower the risk of pitch invasion and to protect the players.

Deffo a William Hill banner on the bottom tier, so think there's some dotted around. Maybe not entirely, but certainly some.

I thought this when buying my ticket before the game and noticed Palace had fans behind the goal so it was definitely something we chose to do.

To be fair I’m fine with that (the sponsors thing).... although £60 was a bit of a p!ss take. Saying that though I was in the very back row of the east stand and impressed that the view from there is still very good.

I was on the NE corner, upper tier, quite far back - view was great tbf

What was the forethought in going for AVB who had underwhelmed at Chelsea just months earlier to the say the least?
We couldn't afford the very best, so we were looking at value and potential in the market - there was a chance that he failed at Chelsea because of that club, rather than himself. Wouldn't of been my choice of manager, but I can see why Levy did.
Or Jose who plays football that our fans detest and the game seems to have passed him by?
It was Levy's long term ambition to have the best stadium and the best manager in the world. Unfortunately, by the time we were in a position to get him, he was on the decline. Man U won a couple of cups with arguably a weaker side. Virtually every fan was clambering to win something ASAP. Who's to say Jose wouldn't have repeated that with a better defence. Wouldn't of been my choice of manager, but I can see why Levy did.
Or handing Mason the caretaker role just days before a cup final?
Virtually every fan was clambering for Jose to go ASAP. Same with Jol. There are plenty of times when Levy does exactly what he thinks the fans want.
His best decision by far was getting Poch. Wasn’t a sure thing but it worked out great for us and we became a well-oiled machine to such an extent that missing out on the top 4 would have been extremely disappointing despite the manager not consistently being given the appropriate tools to do his job.
None of them are, that's the point. I'd say Levy getting about 50% of his appointments right is a pretty good success rate.

I was east upper too and the view was much better than I thought, quite a lot steeper than othter stadiums I think.

Did make me appreciate my seat in the South lower though, much easier for a quick exit when you have the hump about the game!

I was east upper too and the view was much better than I thought, quite a lot steeper than othter stadiums I think.

Did make me appreciate my seat in the South lower though, much easier for a quick exit when you have the hump about the game!
The London Stadium suddenly makes sense!

In the Top 100 FTSE companies, you know how many CEO/Chief Execs have been in their role as long as Levy? 3.

You know why? Because eventually, you need new leadership to progress and move forward. Obviously that won't happen with Levy being part owner, but pretty telling seeing as we're "a business".

- How many of those companies said CEO bought the company for initial investment of £20M (total ended up being <£50M) and turned it into a £2B asset?
- How many of those companies have moved into top 10 valuable in their field for the first time under said CEO
- How many of those companies have increased their brand recognition by factors of ?

This is the disconnect most people on this thread just are not making

- Spurs as a business is doing a brilliant job (long term view, covid challenges aside)
- A real argument could be made that the business is a better long term indicator of success, with money, on field success will come more times than not
- Another argument could be this slump is just the hiccup that happens (Ramos after Jol e.g.), a good appointment next fixes a lot.

Most fans are measuring success in a way that no one in the board is
- Fans see on field success right now as the only measure
- The board/ownership will see that as one measurement in a set of objectives over 3-5 year periods

Again
- I'm not saying Levy didn't make mistakes or isn't accountable ultimately for the failure of Jose and this season
- what I am saying is if you (not you specifically but like the Trust did) go to the board/ownership/whoever and made the assertion that Levy is a failure, they would have a good laugh and be convinced that like most supporters, you don't have a clue.

We can but hope!

Yes US owners who use Spurs to fund an NFL team or themselves are a slim possibility (i think 2 of the 20 PL owners are doing this). I’d happily take my chances at only a 10% likelihood of getting somebody worse.

Not sure about statistics. Maybe you have reality in reverse? Two clubs - City and Chelsea - are doing what the cheat mode fans would like. Funding the club year in and out to buy success. Of the rest I don't think you'd swap their realities for ours, would you? Leicester are not sustainable, the moment the family of the deceased owner decides things aren't working out, they will implode with their circa 100% wages to turnover.

Not having a season ticket its fun to try all the different viewpoints. And there isn't a bad one really. For all your moaning, you have to credit slap head for this at least?

Not sure about statistics. Maybe you have reality in reverse? Two clubs - City and Chelsea - are doing what the cheat mode fans would like. Funding the club year in and out to buy success. Of the rest I don't think you'd swap their realities for ours, would you? Leicester are not sustainable, the moment the family of the deceased owner decides things aren't working out, they will implode with their circa 400% wages to turnover.
That's not actually the case with Chelsea. They are largely self sustaining these days (made a profit last year even with covid for example).

Back