• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I think, with respect Bill, you are looking at it wrongly. It is not looking for someone to blame but more looking at the club and analysing dispassionately the possible reasons for our failure to win trophies. That is important given talk of break away leagues. Trophy success tends to be proportional to revenue increase. Which is why I get exasperated with the "let's celebrate organic growth" mob.
Why is not winning trophies considered a failure for us when it's actually the norm for anyone but the original Sky 4 and money doped clubs?

I don't think a single poster has failed to acknowledge the good things Levy has accomplished. Why does the discussion have to become so polarised?

That was more in reference to comments that Levy got "lucky" with Poch, and in turn all that we achieved in that period, rather than give him credit for identifying, hiring and enabling Poch to do the job he did.

I'm not going to drag others into this via quotes but there are posters who claim that ENIC haven't done anything special and that we are where we would be under any other ownership.

I wonder how a club progresses on the pitch like we did over the 10s without showing any ambition?

Could not agree more, i am amazed that there are SOME fans who can not see just how far we have come since Levy arrived here. It seems to me that no matter what Levy does or does not there will always be SOME fans who can not, will not see the bigger picture.

That was more in reference to comments that Levy got "lucky" with Poch, and in turn all that we achieved in that period, rather than give him credit for identifying, hiring and enabling Poch to do the job he did.

I'm not going to drag others into this via quotes but there are posters who claim that ENIC haven't done anything special and that we are where we would be under any other ownership.
I don't think Poch is a good example of Levy brilliance. I absolutely believe he got lucky with Poch and what he achieved. In fact, on the contrary I think he didn't back Poch as much as he should have. For reasons of course that were to a large extent understandable given the stadium build.

There is always a serious problem when you can't find who's accountable for it. I think Levy, the CFO and whoever can't see the problem. I valued Mourinho mostly for that - to show management that our transfers suck. But it looks like the transfer committee won and do not realise that they themselves are the problem. Levy has to take full responsibility for this but he seems oblivious and makes no mention about it. High time that someone - a journalist, a blogger or even the THFC Trust or even the BBC give us an inside view of how our transfer committee works and why no one has claimed any responsibility for decisions (both good and bad).

???

Mourinho just requests Mendes players, like Redknapp used to do with Willie Mckay ones. Doherty and Vinicius weren't transfer committee recommendations, they were 'favours'.

???

Mourinho just requests Mendes players, like Redknapp used to do with Willie Mckay ones. Doherty and Vinicius weren't transfer committee recommendations, they were 'favours'.
Agreed. I think it's quite obvious that our transfer strategy has changed with different managers and that this tells us that the various managers we've had have had quite a lot of influence on the transfers being made.

That being said, a top quality DoF into the mix would be very much welcome in my opinion.

Agreed. I think it's quite obvious that our transfer strategy has changed with different managers and that this tells us that the various managers we've had have had quite a lot of influence on the transfers being made.

That being said, a top quality DoF into the mix would be very much welcome in my opinion.
It’s as important as the manager IMO, we quite clearly need an overhaul of the squad.

Could not agree more and i am amazed they are those who do not think we do.
The problem is that we might not have the money for that overhaul, especially not with proven players or even semi proven ones.

I wonder whether we may need to accept that we'll have two years where we finish outside of the top 6 or 7 as we build a new, young team? Would the owners (or the fans) accept that?

We're fortunate that there are a lot of good players with only a year left on their contracts this summer as well as some good free transfers.... Even there though I wonder whether we have room on the wage bill to do that sort of business?

Wheeling and dealing will be the buzz words of our summer I think.

Could not agree more and i am amazed they are those who do not think we do.

I'm not sure that there's many at all who think that the quality of the squad is up to standards - I think the differences are where some people think that the first 11 is devoid of any quality whatsoever and what is meant by overhaul and the timing of the squad.

For me the absolute priority is two new CBs to replace any two of Toby, Sanchez and Dier. Add those two and then you have a very capable first 11 which is top 4 standard IMO.

Beyond that, there is a lot of upgrading needed in our squad (ie non first choice) players, but that's likely to be a 2-3 year process. Some would be more urgent (e.g. getting a back-up for Kane) but then there's say 6-8 other squad players (Hart, Sissoko, Winks, Moura, Lamela, Doherty, Davies etc) who need improving. Some of that depends on the new manager's formation and tactics, some of the sequencing partly depends on whether people like Skipp and Sessegnon are loaned out again, some depends on what other youth players might emerge

I'm not sure that there's many at all who think that the quality of the squad is up to standards - I think the differences are where some people think that the first 11 is devoid of any quality whatsoever and what is meant by overhaul and the timing of the squad.

For me the absolute priority is two new CBs to replace any two of Toby, Sanchez and Dier. Add those two and then you have a very capable first 11 which is top 4 standard IMO.

Beyond that, there is a lot of upgrading needed in our squad (ie non first choice) players, but that's likely to be a 2-3 year process. Some would be more urgent (e.g. getting a back-up for Kane) but then there's say 6-8 other squad players (Hart, Sissoko, Winks, Moura, Lamela, Doherty, Davies etc) who need improving. Some of that depends on the new manager's formation and tactics, some of the sequencing partly depends on whether people like Skipp and Sessegnon are loaned out again, some depends on what other youth players might emerge
I agree. Overhaul isn't exactly a tightly defined term so probably being used in different ways by different people.

There's quite a bit of work to be done in the transfer market to be sure. And a lot also depends on if we can keep our existing best players happy, assuming we're not forced to sell.

Will be some interesting months, I will feel quite good about the season being over...

I think the disconnect for most people is squad vs. first 11 (outisde of the people who somehow think we will sell/buy 15 players)

The core of Kane, Son, Lo Celso, Ndombele, PEH, Reguilon. Lloris is fine, add Lucas, Bergwijn, Rodon, Tanganga, Skipp, Sessegnon and you have a good start

The squad (mostly non first 11) is the place for clear out - Sanchez, Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Dele, Doherty, Davies, Rose, CCV, Foyth

Levy could

Sell/release 10+ players with very little first team impact (two max)
Spend most of that money on a CB, add a RB and another midfield option

Combine that with a manager that will get us to play forward (our real quality is in AM/ST roles), you should challenge top 4, enough to buy you time for full stadium revenue and another window or two for long term needs like Lloris replacement.

You do make some good points but i can not agree with the bolded bit, we need more then two CBs players to give us a first 11 which is top 4 standard. imo

The problem is that we might not have the money for that overhaul, especially not with proven players or even semi proven ones.

I wonder whether we may need to accept that we'll have two years where we finish outside of the top 6 or 7 as we build a new, young team? Would the owners (or the fans) accept that?

We're fortunate that there are a lot of good players with only a year left on their contracts this summer as well as some good free transfers.... Even there though I wonder whether we have room on the wage bill to do that sort of business?

Wheeling and dealing will be the buzz words of our summer I think.

You make two good points and why we may have to sell Alli ( who should still bring a decent fee) I think our main problem may be getting rid of players who have bombed under two managers now and what kind of money we can get for them. Its going to be a interesting summer for sure.

You make two good points and why we may have to sell Alli ( who should still bring a decent fee) I think our main problem may be getting rid of players who have bombed under two managers now and what kind of money we can get for them. Its going to be a interesting summer for sure.
There would be buyers for most of our players at the right fees. The deals may have to be sweetened for the players somewhat with pay-offs to make up for reduced wage offers but there's pretty much always a way when there's a will.

Unlike some I'd rather keep Dele instead of giving up on him. I think he has far more talent than Lo Celso for example.

Sanchez and Dier should be replaced first I think. Both of them could do OK at another club, paired alongside the right partner but I think both need a move away from Spurs for their own interests as much as ours.

After that I'd move on all of Winks, Lamela and Sissoko and replace with a proper central midfield player who can dominate the middle of the pitch. If we didn't do a single other pieces of business this summer then I think we'd be ok just with that (along with Skipp and Sessegnon coming back).

Last edited:
As i say IF we are going to make progress next season we have a lot of work to do, ( i really do not see how s ome think we only need a couple of changes) Can not agree about Alli as i think his mind is not really on his game at the moment, after Kane and Son i believe he would bring in the highest fee and we need to spend money if we decide to have that overall. Of course a lot will depend on Kane and if he stays or goes ( at the moment i am 50/50 on what he will do) But if he does decide he has had enough and wants to win things then we may be able to do more of a overall with the fee he would bring.

As you say IF we can get offers for Sissoko and Lamela we should take it i would also add Aurier, Toby, Sanchez to the list of changes we need to make. A lot of work but i believe it has to be done.

As i say IF we are going to make progress next season we have a lot of work to do, ( i really do not see how s ome think we only need a couple of changes) Can not agree about Alli as i think his mind is not really on his game at the moment, after Kane and Son i believe he would bring in the highest fee and we need to spend money if we decide to have that overall. Of course a lot will depend on Kane and if he stays or goes ( at the moment i am 50/50 on what he will do) But if he does decide he has had enough and wants to win things then we may be able to do more of a overall with the fee he would bring.

As you say IF we can get offers for Sissoko and Lamela we should take it i would also add Aurier, Toby, Sanchez to the list of changes we need to make. A lot of work but i believe it has to be done.
I think Toby stays as his age and wage will deter any suitors.
Dier, Sanchez, Doherty, Davies, Lamela, Winks, Sissoko, Foyth CCV.
There might be as much as £70 to £80 million for that lot and that could go a long way to the transfer fees of 2 CBs and a 1CM.
On top of those Doherty is replaced with Tanganga, Davies with Sessegnon, Winks/Sissoko with Skipp

At the wage we've been paying Bale this season we could probably even afford Deepay on a free transfer (though I think richer clubs than us will get in there ahead of us).

What we do need however is our chairman to be pragmatic and decisive with sales. We cannot be going into the last week of the window still haggling over a few hundred grand as the new manager deserves clarity on what his squad will be and decent time to work with them.

You do make some good points but i can not agree with the bolded bit, we need more then two CBs players to give us a first 11 which is top 4 standard. imo

Understand how some people question this, however its easy to forget that title winning teams generally don't have 11 top players in their first 11, let alone top 4 teams.

I mean, was Liverpool's midfield last year top class? None of them on their own are great, but fitted their system. Same with Emirates Marketing Project's CBs before this season. Same with Man U's full-backs or CMs in recent years. Leicester's title winning team! And you could pick out loads more going back through the years.

So say we add two CBs...I can understand people saying our RB wouldnt be top 4 standard, and possibly our RW (depending on where we end up with that), and maybe even LB given Reguilon has been inconsistent this season, but I dont think that's any different to other top 4 teams

I think Toby stays as his age and wage will deter any suitors.
Dier, Sanchez, Doherty, Davies, Lamela, Winks, Sissoko, Foyth CCV.
There might be as much as £70 to £80 million for that lot and that could go a long way to the transfer fees of 2 CBs and a 1CM.
On top of those Doherty is replaced with Tanganga, Davies with Sessegnon, Winks/Sissoko with Skipp

At the wage we've been paying Bale this season we could probably even afford Deepay on a free transfer (though I think richer clubs than us will get in there ahead of us).

What we do need however is our chairman to be pragmatic and decisive with sales. We cannot be going into the last week of the window still haggling over a few hundred grand as the new manager deserves clarity on what his squad will be and decent time to work with them.

This last bit is really crucial, and, sadly, I fear that it won’t happen. Levy would rather stick someone in the reserves, rather than be seen to take a hair cut on a player. I do wonder sometimes if his stubbornness (see: Heurelho Gomes) isn’t so much the money he fears losing on this particular trade, so much as that he fears that any willingness to come down on one player’s price will cost him in all future deals, because future buyers will expect similar consideration.

Back