• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Understand how some people question this, however its easy to forget that title winning teams generally don't have 11 top players in their first 11, let alone top 4 teams.

I mean, was Liverpool's midfield last year top class? None of them on their own are great, but fitted their system. Same with Emirates Marketing Project's CBs before this season. Same with Man U's full-backs or CMs in recent years. Leicester's title winning team! And you could pick out loads more going back through the years.

So say we add two CBs...I can understand people saying our RB wouldnt be top 4 standard, and possibly our RW (depending on where we end up with that), and maybe even LB given Reguilon has been inconsistent this season, but I dont think that's any different to other top 4 teams

I do agree with the bolded bit about having 11 top players, but we need 11 players who do not drop gonad*s in every game and that is what we have had from most of them this season. We do not have to have the best players but we need players who do not fudge up as many times as s ome of ours have.

I do agree with the bolded bit about having 11 top players, but we need 11 players who do not drop gonad*s in every game and that is what we have had from most of them this season. We do not have to have the best players but we need players who do not fudge up as many times as s ome of ours have.

So...I know this will likely not bring a smile of agreement to your face, but there looks to have been a drop-off in physical standards at the club. On the one hand, we have had fewer injuries than for many a season. On the other, we have dropped 18 points from winning positions, which suggests a lack of physical fitness to play the necessary game to hold onto leads. It makes sense. His gameplan was based around containment and striking on the counter. Pressing sides tend to be fitter and stronger; we once were. I think the players have been mismanaged on several levels, this being a major one.

Understand how some people question this, however its easy to forget that title winning teams generally don't have 11 top players in their first 11, let alone top 4 teams.

I mean, was Liverpool's midfield last year top class? None of them on their own are great, but fitted their system. Same with Emirates Marketing Project's CBs before this season. Same with Man U's full-backs or CMs in recent years. Leicester's title winning team! And you could pick out loads more going back through the years.

So say we add two CBs...I can understand people saying our RB wouldnt be top 4 standard, and possibly our RW (depending on where we end up with that), and maybe even LB given Reguilon has been inconsistent this season, but I dont think that's any different to other top 4 teams
For me point about Liverpool and having players that aren't top players, but fit the system is a good point, but not necessarily a point for or against a bigger turnover this summer.

For quite a while now we've had an unbalanced squad, too many players that don't fit into whatever system we're playing at the time. Too many players that don't fit together into a cohesive unit playing a particular style.

If a new manager can develop the players a bit, find a system that fits more of them, get a couple of changes in key areas, that will do.

There's also the chance though that quite a few of the players still won't fit. The usual suspects essentially. That the new system, whatever it is, isn't a good fit. Then we'll need more of an overhaul.

Some big decisions to be made.

For me point about Liverpool and having players that aren't top players, but fit the system is a good point, but not necessarily a point for or against a bigger turnover this summer.

For quite a while now we've had an unbalanced squad, too many players that don't fit into whatever system we're playing at the time. Too many players that don't fit together into a cohesive unit playing a particular style.

If a new manager can develop the players a bit, find a system that fits more of them, get a couple of changes in key areas, that will do.

There's also the chance though that quite a few of the players still won't fit. The usual suspects essentially. That the new system, whatever it is, isn't a good fit. Then we'll need more of an overhaul.

Some big decisions to be made.

Yes, I was just responding to someone who said "we need more then two CBs players to give us a first 11 which is top 4 standard. imo"

I think the squad turnover speed is a practical one - when money is tight there will be more sequencing needed in transfers (ie between incomings and outgoings), as well as positionally (i.e. we only well a CB if we know we have one coming in). Great if we could do that quickly, but I think it'll take 2-3 summer windows

Just a thought on the mistakes - I wonder how much that was actually down to Mourinho's approach, which rather than making the players feel 10ft tall actually resulted in them being cats on hot tin roofs...

It is possible to create an atmosphere of fear at a club and once its there something drastic needs to change before it will be erased.

Its the same principal as the one above about a team being greater than the sum of its parts - if everyone is confident and slightly over performing, you will get results. If everyone is sh*tting it that they are going to make a mistake each game, that is contagious too.

First Time Post (really enjoy reading the contributions)

I have watched the Enic/Levy era with a combination of hope, replaced by despair on so many occasions.

The Stadium and Training Ground are great achievements BUT I want to see the team waving a trophy on an open top bus – that’s the goal of every club and our successes under Enic have been pitiful – one trophy in 20 years!

For a club that is in the top ten revenue earners in Europe that is really appalling.

And I put that down to Levy’s operating style on transfers. How many times have we seen him wait until the last day of the transfer window to see who he can swoop up in a “bargain”? That’s not a measured transfer strategy – its bargain hunting, but ends up saving a few £m and losing out time after time on some exceptional players.

How many times have we heard our Managers ask for new players to come in early and be part of pre-season training but Levy sails on with his last day transfer plan when he seems to suddenly wake up and make an effort?

From Moutinho – who could have been the midfield general we needed – to Sane, who has performed extremely well for Liverpool, to Grealish, where he hung on because he thought Villa would have to sell cheap and new owners arrived to put paid to that, to Fernandes, where he thought, having bought Lo Celso and Ndombele, we didn’t need him, to Skriniar, who I think Jose had identified as the back line leader – he fails the needs of the team and the manager time and time again.

Now what Manager worth his salt would want to come here and try to work with Levy’s approach – the club is becoming a Manager’s career graveyard? He burnt out Pochettino, who spelt out what was needed – more ambition, more focus on the next level of player up (not always looking to buy a Deli Alli at £5M who becomes a £50M asset – you can’t achieve that sort of return very often).

So we are in the mucky stuff – scratching around for a Manager, virtually forcing Harry to stay because of his contract and continuing a completely failed transfer strategy.

Don’t blame the Manager – they are just the next cab on the rank – doomed to fail under this daft transfer approach.

As you can tell am I at the desperate end of the spectrum L

I have watched the Enic/Levy era with a combination of hope, replaced by despair on so many occasions.

The Stadium and Training Ground are great achievements BUT I want to see the team waving a trophy on an open top bus – that’s the goal of every club and our successes under Enic have been pitiful – one trophy in 20 years!

For a club that is in the top ten revenue earners in Europe that is really appalling.

And I put that down to Levy’s operating style on transfers. How many times have we seen him wait until the last day of the transfer window to see who he can swoop up in a “bargain”? That’s not a measured transfer strategy – its bargain hunting, but ends up saving a few £m and losing out time after time on some exceptional players.

How many times have we heard our Managers ask for new players to come in early and be part of pre-season training but Levy sails on with his last day transfer plan when he seems to suddenly wake up and make an effort?

From Moutinho – who could have been the midfield general we needed – to Sane, who has performed extremely well for Liverpool, to Grealish, where he hung on because he thought Villa would have to sell cheap and new owners arrived to put paid to that, to Fernandes, where he thought, having bought Lo Celso and Ndombele, we didn’t need him, to Skriniar, who I think Jose had identified as the back line leader – he fails the needs of the team and the manager time and time again.

Now what Manager worth his salt would want to come here and try to work with Levy’s approach – the club is becoming a Manager’s career graveyard? He burnt out Pochettino, who spelt out what was needed – more ambition, more focus on the next level of player up (not always looking to buy a Deli Alli at £5M who becomes a £50M asset – you can’t achieve that sort of return very often).

So we are in the mucky stuff – scratching around for a Manager, virtually forcing Harry to stay because of his contract and continuing a completely failed transfer strategy.

Don’t blame the Manager – they are just the next cab on the rank – doomed to fail under this daft transfer approach.

Welcome on board

Just a thought on the mistakes - I wonder how much that was actually down to Mourinho's approach, which rather than making the players feel 10ft tall actually resulted in them being cats on hot tin roofs...

It is possible to create an atmosphere of fear at a club and once its there something drastic needs to change before it will be erased.

Its the same principal as the one above about a team being greater than the sum of its parts - if everyone is confident and slightly over performing, you will get results. If everyone is sh*tting it that they are going to make a mistake each game, that is contagious too.

You could put that down to Jose ( if you want) if that is the case what about those same players who were making mistakes under Poch? What is the blame for that?

So...I know this will likely not bring a smile of agreement to your face, but there looks to have been a drop-off in physical standards at the club. On the one hand, we have had fewer injuries than for many a season. On the other, we have dropped 18 points from winning positions, which suggests a lack of physical fitness to play the necessary game to hold onto leads. It makes sense. His gameplan was based around containment and striking on the counter. Pressing sides tend to be fitter and stronger; we once were. I think the players have been mismanaged on several levels, this being a major one.

You did bring a smile to my face mate ( but not for the reason you tend to suggest), Why were some of the same players making the same mistakes at the end of Pochs time, had he run down there physical fitness then. I am sure you will object to that though. :D

You did bring a smile to my face mate ( but not for the reason you tend to suggest), Why were some of the same players making the same mistakes at the end of Pochs time, had he run down there physical fitness then. I am sure you will object to that though. :D

Some were worn into the ground for sure. I have no doubt the uncertainty at the club did not help either. This season, we simply have not been as physically fit. There were cuts to some of the programs that have been well documented.
It has certainly been a horrendous season, and time, that much is for sure. And true enough, it is not all down to one -or even two- people...

Super post.

Mourinho was only a (relatively small) part of problems which are integral to the club. Plenty of our managerial targets can see that. Quite rightly, they are thinking coming to us isn’t worth the risk.

Have I missed something? Who has said that?

Rodgers is happy where he is, according to his comments on the radio this morning. Ten Hag has signed a new contract at Ajax. Nagelsmann has gone to Bayern. All candidates who apparently couldn’t wait for us to approach them if you read back through the New Manager thread on here.

Rodgers comments are particularly loaded, with their emphasis on how Leicester is run as a club.

I’m amazed at how our supporters have turned so quickly. Sure Mourinho was a bad appointment, and the squad needs direction, a good manager, and a clear out. But why all of a sudden the Lucknow faith in Levy. I just don’t get it. It’s like fans what to lynch and blame someone. Can’t be the manager anymore, and so they brick on him. Teams go through cycles. Spurs need direction a fresh positive manager and a clear out of the deadwood. I don’t think I’d have more faith in any other chairman to do that. And levy will do it without costing the earth, giving Spurs more money for transfers. No one is ever perfect, but give El Capitan a break, he’s a highly effective live chairman. Let him get on with it.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Hard to argue with most of that but it is a somewhat one-sided take.

One could argue that it's also Levy's skill at bargain-hunting that has helped lift Tottenham up out of the doldrums. He has pulled quite a few rabbits out of the hat. Players that took us to another level for relative peanuts and were sold on at a handsome profit only when it proved futile to try to hold on to them, eg Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Carrick, Walker. Other top players who gave us or are still giving us their best years include Van Der Vaart, Keane, Dembele, Defoe, Lennon, Wanyama, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Rose, Alderwiereld, Lloris, Dele, Son.

Levy also deserves much credit imo for championing our tradition for flair football. Okay you could argue that Jose Mourinho fell some way short of that standard but in his case the over-arching priority was to win us trophies. Maybe if Levy had got him Skrinier rather than Bale, JM might just have been successful, but it's still only a 'might.'

The problem for so many fans today is this pre-occupation with silverware. Suppose having witnessed Spurs win a total of 14 trophies in nearly 70 years supporting the club I can count myself lucky, but I'd much rather watch Tottenham come close playing exciting football than win cups playing the sort of turgid stuff Jose was serving up at times.

But, hey ho, each to their own, eh?

Hey Spur of the Moment,

I didn't say that Levy was completely terrible BUT results in terms of trophies have been and I believe it is down to his determination to haggle the life out of ins and outs and miss the bigger picture - like getting players in early in a transfer window for instance.
Now I started supporting Spurs in the Double year when I was ten years old. Spurs for life, but just completely fed up with how close we might get without kicking on. So like you I have wonderful memories and the team does need to play in the Spurs way rather than scraping a trophy - no argument. I just think Levy won't change and in 20 years we have simply not achieved our potential in terms of trophies - which really is what the game is about and you and I have been lucky in seeing some great wins/years. Many posters on here may never have seen us win a pot :(
Now I really think top managers are shying away from the job as they have seen Poch (in particular) and Jose fail. I think we might end up with Eddie Howe - somebody who wants the opportunity to prove himself rather than a top and proven Manager and we will have hope for a couple of years until he is sent packing an we go on the merry go round again.
What's the common denominator? Mr Daniel Levy - coming up to his eleventh manager now - they weren't all crap :(

Great post on F365 on Levy: https://www.football365.com/news/daniel-levy-spurs-jose-mourinho-opinion

He's absolutely made a clusterfudge of the football team, which is the heart and essence of the club. When we had steady footing and should have progressed, Levy slammed us into reverse.

I do think we need to go back to a DoF type structure - someone that understands the difference between business and football and can balance the two.

If the Ralph Ragnick rumours are true, that could be a good balance instead as he understands both.

Back