• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Why do you keep making the comparison between 5th and 5th, without mentioning how much closer we are to the 4 above us (indeed we were actually 4th in 18/19)? Just makes you seem like someone with an agenda because you’re always choosing to tell half the story.

The picture below is very different to when Levy took over isn’t it, in terms of us being part of the top tier rather than miles behind as the best of the rest?

View attachment 11665

@Finney Is Back I've had a look around and the best comparison data I can find is on the top 20 clubs in Europe in 04/05, from Deloitte. So 3 to 4 years after Levy joined, this is where we were in terms of the PL:

upload_2021-4-21_10-54-39.png

Actually 6th, behind Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and only just ahead of Everton, whose revenue we now more than double. And around half the revenue of Chelsea, who we now almost match.

So I just don't think your comparison of 5th vs 5th tells anywhere near the full story.

How I view Levy in all of this depends upon how much it will end up costing us in pulling out of the ESL. Knowing JPM as I do I envisage some pretty hefty pelanty clauses for the 3 billion or so that they had put up. If we've further damaged our transfer budget paying pelanty clauses as well as the pointless (at best) swapping of Pochettino for Mourinho then I'll take an especially dim view.

If we have been able to pull out at zero cost to the club then my view of our chairman will be unchanged - that he is an adequate chairman who tries his best for the club but desperately needs to put somebody in place between himself and the first team manager and to step away from football decisions.
Nobody is perfect. Your continual nit-picking is a joke, sitting behind your computer telling Levy what he should and shouldn't be doing, like it's easy and you know better.

@Finney Is Back I've had a look around and the best comparison data I can find is on the top 20 clubs in Europe in 04/05, from Deloitte. So 3 to 4 years after Levy joined, this is where we were in terms of the PL:

View attachment 11671

Actually 6th, behind Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and only just ahead of Everton, whose revenue we now more than double. And around half the revenue of Chelsea, who we now almost match.

So I just don't think your comparison of 5th vs 5th tells anywhere near the full story.
There have been mistakes along the way but at the time Levy took over our we were finishing around 8-10th in the decade before. Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Leeds and maybe Villa would been closer to us than the Sky 4, which was gatecrashed by City, giving 2 doped members to the 5. I’d say we have made significant progress compared to those teams.

However we sacrificed our transfer budgets to build the stadium and whilst we still managed to improve on the pitch that is something that feels fundamental to our current malaise. The pandemic coming at a time when we became the club with the highest possible income stream is sexy.

But it feels now this is the final act, the sacrifices have been made but the infrastructure is now in place - Levy is now responsible for hiring the right manager whilst improving the squad. The latter may need a dof to identify the right players and some flexibility with sale prices but if we do get these wrong I can understand why Levy’s position / decisions would come under scrutiny from fans. In terms of his boss though, he might be hitting every single objective he is set and if we’d picked up a couple more trophies but not made CL or infrastructure improvements he could have been removed already!

Last edited:
Why do you keep making the comparison between 5th and 5th, without mentioning how much closer we are to the 4 above us (indeed we were actually 4th in 18/19)? Just makes you seem like someone with an agenda because you’re always choosing to tell half the story.

The picture below is very different to when Levy took over isn’t it, in terms of us being part of the top tier rather than miles behind as the best of the rest?

View attachment 11665
This and the conditions and causes of us remaining where we are.

Chelsea wouldn't be where they are if not for Abramovich. City have overtaken us because of big money injections. The then established top four clubs got a huge head start with CL money. Overtaking that remains a massive challenge, but actually seems doable rather than impossible at it might have done had we not seen that improvement under Levy.

I remember when the top four wasn't just the top four league positions, but a group of clubs that seemed to remain unchanged year in year out. We're the first team to break into that with any consistency without financial doping. Leicester might, but let's see.

That's not something that would just have happened with any owner or chairman.

This and the conditions and causes of us remaining where we are.

Chelsea wouldn't be where they are if not for Abramovich. City have overtaken us because of big money injections. The then established top four clubs got a huge head start with CL money. Overtaking that remains a massive challenge, but actually seems doable rather than impossible at it might have done had we not seen that improvement under Levy.

I remember when the top four wasn't just the top four league positions, but a group of clubs that seemed to remain unchanged year in year out. We're the first team to break into that with any consistency without financial doping. Leicester might, but let's see.

That's not something that would just have happened with any owner or chairman.
Leicester had financial (and possibly other) doping.

Look at what happened to Leeds and Villa too, its possible to spend a lot of money badly and damage yourself.

Balancing the books has been as important as improving the infrastructure.

There have been mistakes along the way but at the time Levy took over our we were finishing around 8-10th in the decade before. Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Leeds and maybe Villa would been closer to us than the Sky 4, which was gatecrashed by City, giving 2 doped members to the 5. I’d say we have made significant progress compared to those teams.

However we sacrificed our transfer budgets to build the stadium and whilst we still managed to improve on the pitch that is something that feels fundamental to our current malaise. The pandemic coming at a time when we became the club with the highest possible income stream is sexy.

But it feels now this is the final act, the sacrifices have been made but the infrastructure is now in place - Levy is now responsible for hiring the right manager whilst improving the squad. The latter may need a dof to identify the right players and some flexibility with sale prices but if we do get these wrong I can understand why Levy’s psi iron would come under scrutiny from fans. In terms of his boss though, he might be hitting every single objective he is set and if we’d picked up a couple more trophies but not made CL or infrastructure improvements he could have been removed already!

If Levy brings in a DoF, gives him autonomy and we start acting in a consistent decisive way with buys and sells then I'll hold my hands up and say well done Levy. I'm not in the 'Levy is terrible' camp, but equally am not in amongst the Levy worshippers. He has done a reasonable job at this football club I think. One thing is quite telling however and that is that we have never ever had the top paid player in the league at Spurs, nowhere near top paid in fact. However we have had the top/second top paid exec in football for umpteen years.

Leicester had financial (and possibly other) doping.
True, but not to the same extent as Chelsea or City.
Look at what happened to Leeds and Villa too, its possible to spend a lot of money badly and damage yourself.

Balancing the books has been as important as improving the infrastructure.
Spot on for me.

Particularly with the stadium build that's been very important.

Not sure if a club should plan for a pandemic or not, but this thing would have hit us as a club a lot harder with quite a few other chairmen.

If Levy brings in a DoF, gives him autonomy and we start acting in a consistent decisive way with buys and sells then I'll hold my hands up and say well done Levy. I'm not in the 'Levy is terrible' camp, but equally am not in amongst the Levy worshippers. He has done a reasonable job at this football club I think. One thing is quite telling however and that is that we have never ever had the top paid player in the league at Spurs, nowhere near top paid in fact. However we have had the top/second top paid exec in football for umpteen years.

Can we afford to pay Kane the top wage in the league?

There are other ownership models in place, I expect that explains why the chairman of the teams above us are not paid in the same way.

I’m the same, I was just tying to balance some of your thoughts, I think as I have been with the ESL stuff I like playing devils advocate even if I share the reservations I am debating against.

100% needs to employ a top DoF.

The difference is that Levy is a part owner of the club, not the same for other executives and it is still less than what the top players are being paid.

Ah yes, footballers. That bottomless source of intelligence...

Well given that we are a football club I’d say it’s not a bad move to employ erm....football experts who know the game better to make erm....football decisions. Every company I have worked for, the MD or CEO has always surrounded himself with as many technical people as possible to run the technical side of the business so the heads of the company can get on with the actual running of the company.

Back