• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

How do you build success with the lowest wage to turnover ratio in the league by an incredibly susbstantial margin?

Every PL club runs on a minimum of nearly 50% wages to turnover, Tottenham's is 39%? So how's all this funding we receive improving THFC?

We were running such low expenditure years before the stadium build, during the build, and now after. Even Arsenal still managed transfers during this time. Why can't we?

We started from so far back we are now having to 'build'. Once we level off after COVID (fingers X'ed) we will see the benefits.

If the club was less well run, the debt that we've taken on to pay for the stadium would be costing us a lot more. ENIC's payday comes when they sell the club, the way that they maximise their return there is to leave us in a healthy position both on the pitch and off it.

Not arguing the financial health of the club, that is clear for all to see.

The issue has never been about Spurs not having money, it's about investing in the team. Whether by transfers or wages, we come practically bottom in both, and have done for years and years and years.

A lot of defensive people here

but if anyone wants a grown up discussion, why do we continually accept low spending on wages and transfers (given the expenditure we as fans seem to pay in such as highest ST prices) to see some success at our club compared to other similarly placed teams? Is it because we got a new stadium, does that give our board a free pass?

The issue has never been about Spurs not having money, it's about investing in the team. Whether by transfers or wages, we come practically bottom in both, and have done for years and years and years.

In which case you have misunderstood what I was saying. If a significantly higher amount of our turnover was spent on wages, the debt we have taken on would've been more expensive. The club would be in a weaker position overall and the value of the club lower.

In which case you have misunderstood what I was saying. If a significantly higher amount of our turnover was spent on wages, the debt we have taken on would've been more expensive. The club would be in a weaker position overall and the value of the club lower.
It does come down to us vastly overspending on the stadium however. I shudder when I think what would've happened if we hadn't lucked out on Pochettino. The plan apparently was to qualify for the CL when we arrived in the new stadium. Poch got us there against the odds in all of the 3 seasons before that. Without that additional income and exposure we would've had a debt level £200 million plus higher and now be running with more than £1 billion's worth.

It does come down to us vastly overspending on the stadium however. I shudder when I think what would've happened if we hadn't lucked out on Pochettino. The plan apparently was to qualify for the CL when we arrived in the new stadium. Poch got us there against the odds in all of the 3 seasons before that. Without that additional income and exposure we would've had a debt level £200 million plus higher and now be running with more than £1 billion's worth.

I'm kinda pleased that we didn't do it on the cheap. It wouldn't have been the same if we'd built on a brownfield site miles away from Tottenham.

A lot of defensive people here

but if anyone wants a grown up discussion, why do we continually accept low spending on wages and transfers (given the expenditure we as fans seem to pay in such as highest ST prices) to see some success at our club compared to other similarly placed teams? Is it because we got a new stadium, does that give our board a free pass?
Or is because it was clear the money we had was being invested in the ground, which in turn was going to make us richer to reinvest in the players
The new stadium doesn’t give anywhere a free pass, but it does give clarity as to why we didn’t try to bankrupt ourselves by buying players we couldn’t afford
Similarly the wages thing I always think is farcical.... just because another club chooses to pay a player more it doesn’t mean should or even the next club should. We pay more money in wages for our players than most clubs do, but we don’t pay ozil wages for example. And most of our players are on performance related pay which is important in a performance driven industry

I'm kinda pleased that we didn't do it on the cheap. It wouldn't have been the same if we'd built on a brownfield site miles away from Tottenham.
I’m 100% pleased we didn’t scrimp on it, it’s a once in a lifetime investment, we needed to do it right, not another identikit bowl like Wembley, Emirates or Stadium of brick. Essential it remained in Tottenham as well.

Or, Levy saw that we got into the CL several times and adjusted the spec of the stadium as he could now afford the gold taps he coveted.

Just wanted to bump this back again rather than starting a new thread.

That CL run was the greatest thing to happen in many of our lifetimes, and likely ever will be. Levy's priority is, and always will be ENIC.

Yes we have a shiny new stadium, that wasn't built for the fans, it was built for ENIC.

It was built for AJ to box there, the NFL to play there, it was not built to fund THFC.

We have the lowest (by a substantial way) wage to turnover ratio. We are not run to be successful, we are run to extrapolate the most amount of money feasible.

The building of the stadium and its potential to increase income was to enable us to compete with the bigger clubs, not now maybe but certainly in couple of years time and to be able to do it well into the future.
The fact poch and that squad came along and had elevated us to that before the stadium was ready to help maintain us at that level is about as sexy as it gets.

Imagine having the revenue from the stadium to go out and add players of the calibre of dybala, fernadez (two players we were in talks with) along with a RB and DM to the squad when we were at our peak.

The building of the stadium and its potential to increase income was to enable us to compete with the bigger clubs, not now maybe but certainly in couple of years time and to be able to do it well into the future.
The fact poch and that squad came along and had elevated us to that before the stadium was ready to help maintain us at that level is about as sexy as it gets.

Imagine having the revenue from the stadium to go out and add players of the calibre of dybala, fernadez (two players we were in talks with) along with a RB and DM to the squad when we were at our peak.

Are you referring to Bruno Fernandes? Come on, in for him and Dybala? Behave yourself. By in for them do you mean throwing a silly bid in that had no hope of being accepted to make it seem like we were "in for them?"

tenor.gif

It's like the old days of Championship Manager, you know when you bid something with £100M in add-ons that are unachieveable in the hope the computer falls for it and sells you the player?

Sporting Lisbon Club President Frederico Varandas: "We prepared for his sale by putting a fair price on his worth, and we had bids, but only a Tottenham one that was €45million plus €20m in objectives - winning the English League and the Champions League".

Banter.

Are you referring to Bruno Fernandes? Come on, in for him and Dybala? Behave yourself. By in for them do you mean throwing a silly bid in that had no hope of being accepted to make it seem like we were "in for them?"

tenor.gif

It's like the old days of Championship Manager, you know when you bid something with £100M in add-ons that are unachieveable in the hope the computer falls for it and sells you the player?

Sporting Lisbon Club President Frederico Varandas: "We prepared for his sale by putting a fair price on his worth, and we had bids, but only a Tottenham one that was €45million plus €20m in objectives - winning the English League and the Champions League".

Banter.

Because that was our budget then.
Ignoring the covid melt down, our massively increased stadium revenue would allow us to up the ante on this level of player.
. Just my understanding of it all of course.

tenor.gif

Banter.
Well Fernandez went to United for £47m plus add ons to United... the same deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51301424

Great article in The Athletic here from end of last week: https://theathletic.co.uk/1890318/2020/06/27/tottenham-liverpool-pochettino-klopp-signings/

I didn't write the piece but it's verbatim the points i have made for last 5 years. When you get the chance to go for greatness, you absolutely have to go for it, and looking at teams like United or Arsenal, it should have been obvious to Levy the risks of not pushing on.

"That, ultimately, is the difference between Tottenham and Liverpool. Tottenham never made those final steps in the market, and Liverpool did. Both Klopp and Pochettino built good sides, but only one of those two men was backed enough to push for greatness. And now Jose Mourinho has to try to relaunch a very different looking Tottenham team back towards where they used to be.

This might be a lesson to the growing teams of the 2020s, who builds to the point of being on the brink of glory. Whether that is Everton or Manchester United or Arsenal or Wolves. These windows of opportunity only come along rarely. So clubs have to take advantage if they can, backing the manager, buying the right players, trying to make that step from good to great. Because when they are shut they do not re-open fast"

Great article in The Athletic here from end of last week: https://theathletic.co.uk/1890318/2020/06/27/tottenham-liverpool-pochettino-klopp-signings/

I didn't write the piece but it's verbatim the points i have made for last 5 years. When you get the chance to go for greatness, you absolutely have to go for it, and looking at teams like United or Arsenal, it should have been obvious to Levy the risks of not pushing on.

"That, ultimately, is the difference between Tottenham and Liverpool. Tottenham never made those final steps in the market, and Liverpool did. Both Klopp and Pochettino built good sides, but only one of those two men was backed enough to push for greatness. And now Jose Mourinho has to try to relaunch a very different looking Tottenham team back towards where they used to be.

This might be a lesson to the growing teams of the 2020s, who builds to the point of being on the brink of glory. Whether that is Everton or Manchester United or Arsenal or Wolves. These windows of opportunity only come along rarely. So clubs have to take advantage if they can, backing the manager, buying the right players, trying to make that step from good to great. Because when they are shut they do not re-open fast"
We took that chance and used it to build the stadium
That now gives us the chance for long term greatness
And of course pools investments cost money with most being almost record buys in each position.... so not sure how we would have funded that with the new ground and wages needed too (their wage bills has always been about £1,5m a week more than ours and growing).
Liverpool also increased their ground capacity but having been it’s actually made the ground worse IMO
Everything needs foundations but it also needs finishing touches too, to differentiate
People say at pool it was the keeper and van dijk... I’d argue it was Robertson and TAA as their the creative outlet for that team more and more
There is a better article that got repeated this weekend about pool and the return of a coach who failed as manager in Holland. Klopp and him had a call and he told klopp what he was doing wrong (conceding midfield). They sold coutinho, brought this coach back, started packing midfield with NO plans for that midfield to do anything other than be functional and they got better as a side

i wonder what day/year it will be when the penny drops and people realise this wonderful investment that's due to come from the money from the new stadium does not materialise into big spending power like the other big clubs.

I imagine people will still sing about Levy saying "soon, soon".

i wonder what day/year it will be when the penny drops and people realise this wonderful investment that's due to come from the money from the new stadium does not materialise into big spending power like the other big clubs.

I imagine people will still sing about Levy saying "soon, soon".

maybe you could be right
It’s odd that out first start to a season in the new ground coincided with is spending the most we have ever spent... but maybe that was to keep certain fans happy and nothing to do with investment and new incomes and revenues
I mean with all the money ENIC take out of the club to buy new yachts for uncle joe who can blame them

Back