• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I've never been more ashamed of my club than hearing them reverse a sensible business decision because a few financially illiterate, half-witted busybodies whined and bitched loud enough.

That's one way to speak about our players

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...lough-non-playing-staff-admit-fans-RIGHT.html

"Tottenham have reversed their decision to use government money to furlough non-playing staff after their players expressed their fury at the club's controversial call."

I’m not convinced he has turned it purely for PR reasons, even though the statement implied that was the driver. I think we could have weathered the PR. I am hoping the reversal is a pre-cursor to an announcement of an agreement with the players around a pay cut (rather than just a deferral) in the coming days.

Levy is trying to negotiate a wage deferral or cut with the players right now.
The players are receiving abuse for getting thousand a week while the same company is furloughing low wages employees.
I'm sure the players demanding the ending of furloughing at the start of the negotiations.
Levy doesn't care about PR. This is about saving the club money by getting the players to take a cut.

I think that's a bit strong but I fully agree with you. I'm amazed Levy has rowed back on this because having made the decision, he'd taken most of the flak over the last two weeks. It was a sensible business decision that's been reversed purely for PR reasons. I didn't think Levy was the type to give in to that.
A monetary value can be put on good/bad PR. In this instance I would guess that Levy felt the monetary value of the PR was starting to get close to and looking like it would exceed the £1 million or so that he would've been saving by doing this.

I’m not convinced he has turned it purely for PR reasons, even though the statement implied that was the driver. I think we could have weathered the PR. I am hoping the reversal is a pre-cursor to an announcement of an agreement with the players around a pay cut (rather than just a deferral) in the coming days.
Daniel Levy said today "I'm delighted to announce that our first team playing squad have agreed to a 0.5% reduction in pay for the months of April and May to cover the salaries of non playing staff. I'm aware that it can't be easy financially for the players at this time with the increased electricity bills they are likely to incur due to spending more time at home playing Xbox and the increase in grocery bills due to no longer being able to have a free lunch at the training ground canteen. I would therefore like to thank them for the huge sacrifice that they have made to ensure that the club remains viable and our 550 non playing staff can continue to live their lavish lifestyles"

First team captain and spokesman Harry Kane said today. "It goes against every fibre of our being to accept a pay cut and it is with great reluctance that we have agreed to undergo this serious financial hardship. Several players have had to cut their online monthly vintage Cristal order by a bottle or more and at least 3 of the first team squad have said that they will now cut down the number of times they have their Lamborghini cleaned from 7 times to 6 times a week. Poor Ryan Sessegnon now says that he might even have to do without the alloy scrub. Hopefully this only goes on for two months, otherwise we might have to resort to the food banks..... They do that Nando's sauce at food banks right?...... "

Last edited:
That's one way to speak about our players

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...lough-non-playing-staff-admit-fans-RIGHT.html

"Tottenham have reversed their decision to use government money to furlough non-playing staff after their players expressed their fury at the club's controversial call."
The players who stand to make millions each in signing on bonuses if the club folds?

Or the players which whom you could fill a pitch and still have a cumulative IQ below that of a binman?

Or the players who could have avoided this with a pay cut of a fraction of a percent?

The players who stand to make millions each in signing on bonuses if the club folds?

Or the players which whom you could fill a pitch and still have a cumulative IQ below that of a binman?

Or the players who could have avoided this with a pay cut of a fraction of a percent?

Any player that is just interested in money doesn't sign a contract to play for Daniel Levy.

Looks like Woolwich players have agreed a 12.5% cut in wages up until March next year, with Cheatski players looking at a 20% cut (period not stated).

Arsenal players have become the first in the Premier League to take a pay cut after agreeing to lower their wages by 12.5 per cent until March of next year.
The Times has learnt that Chelsea’s players are also in advanced talks about a pay reduction of up to 20 per cent.
The Arsenal squad has performed a U-turn since voting against the proposal last week, thanks largely to the intervention of Mikel Arteta, the head coach.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1587145049

Can't read any more due to the paywall.

Hopefully this will encourage our players to do similar. Right now we are apparently negotiating with Poch about reducing the severance pay for him and his team.

Looks like Woolwich players have agreed a 12.5% cut in wages up until March next year, with Cheatski players looking at a 20% cut (period not stated).

Arsenal players have become the first in the Premier League to take a pay cut after agreeing to lower their wages by 12.5 per cent until March of next year.
The Times has learnt that Chelsea’s players are also in advanced talks about a pay reduction of up to 20 per cent.
The Arsenal squad has performed a U-turn since voting against the proposal last week, thanks largely to the intervention of Mikel Arteta, the head coach.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1587145049

Can't read any more due to the paywall.

Hopefully this will encourage our players to do similar. Right now we are apparently negotiating with Poch about reducing the severance pay for him and his team.
continued...
The decision came as a surprise yesterday given that Héctor Bellerín, who has been leading the talks on behalf of the players, had been told not to agree to the wage cut by the Professional Footballers’ Association.

The players’ union has been advising every representative of the 20 Premier League clubs and the deal agreed by the Arsenal squad is likely to affect similar negotiations at other clubs, such as Tottenham Hotspur.

Arsenal’s player wage bill is about £16 million a month and Mesut Özil, who earns about £350,000 a week, is the club’s top earner. Arteta, who earns about £5 million a year, is expected to follow the same deal.

The players will be reimbursed all the money if they qualify for the Champions League next season, with a £100,000 bonus. The pay cut will fall to 7.5 per cent if the club qualify for the Europa League next season. However, the players will have a second chance to recover the money if they qualify for the Champions League for the 2021-22 season. Players who are sold this summer will be reimbursed but capped by the “accounting” profit on their move. Arsenal’s executive team have also taken a pay cut of about a third.

Senior Chelsea players are willing to reduce their pay temporarily by about 10 per cent but the club are thought to have pushed for nearer double that amount. However it is believed an agreement is close. Chelsea’s wage bill rose to £286 million last season with N’Golo Kanté the club’s highest earner on about £290,000 a week.“

BBC gossip yesterday:
Tottenham Hotspur
have approached former manager Mauricio Pochettino to take a wage reduction on his £8.5m salary to help ease the club's financial concerns. The Argentine was sacked in November and is currently on gardening leave. (Daily Heil)

continued...
The decision came as a surprise yesterday given that Héctor Bellerín, who has been leading the talks on behalf of the players, had been told not to agree to the wage cut by the Professional Footballers’ Association.

The players’ union has been advising every representative of the 20 Premier League clubs and the deal agreed by the Arsenal squad is likely to affect similar negotiations at other clubs, such as Tottenham Hotspur.

Arsenal’s player wage bill is about £16 million a month and Mesut Özil, who earns about £350,000 a week, is the club’s top earner. Arteta, who earns about £5 million a year, is expected to follow the same deal.

The players will be reimbursed all the money if they qualify for the Champions League next season, with a £100,000 bonus. The pay cut will fall to 7.5 per cent if the club qualify for the Europa League next season. However, the players will have a second chance to recover the money if they qualify for the Champions League for the 2021-22 season. Players who are sold this summer will be reimbursed but capped by the “accounting” profit on their move. Arsenal’s executive team have also taken a pay cut of about a third.

Senior Chelsea players are willing to reduce their pay temporarily by about 10 per cent but the club are thought to have pushed for nearer double that amount. However it is believed an agreement is close. Chelsea’s wage bill rose to £286 million last season with N’Golo Kanté the club’s highest earner on about £290,000 a week.“
Seems like a fair deal really

Yet according to some of our "fans" Levy doesn't know what he's doing ..

Those numbers can make for an interesting conversation, some things that pop for me
- Top 6 is leagues ahead of everyone else
- Chelsea and Scum have lost a lot of ground in recent years
- Not there, but it would be interesting as our stadium/training facilities investments have contributed heavily to our value, where does it leave clubs (Chelsea, Pool, United) who still have significant infrastructure upgrades to make (in the Covid/post Covid economic environment and potential multi-month/year loss of certain income streams)?

I'm starting to feel Spurs got lucky for once in our history, if this crisis had happened mid project, while we were still in Wembley, it could have been a disaster ..

Those numbers can make for an interesting conversation, some things that pop for me
- Not there, but it would be interesting as our stadium/training facilities investments have contributed heavily to our value, where does it leave clubs (Chelsea, Pool, United) who still have significant infrastructure upgrades to make (in the Covid/post Covid economic environment and potential multi-month/year loss of certain income streams)?

I'm starting to feel Spurs got lucky for once in our history, if this crisis had happened mid project, while we were still in Wembley, it could have been a disaster ..
Or the cost of building may have crashed due to economics... lots of unknowns

I still say having something built is better than nothing at all

Way too soon to count chickens.

None of us has a clue how things will pan out in the long run. What happens if, after relaxing the lockdown, the pandemic takes off again? That could lead to even tighter lockdown than what we have now.

If that happens we could be looking at an empty £1bn stadium for many many months, maybe right through to December or even beyond, which in turn could take us to the brink of disaster, no?

Way too soon to count chickens.

None of us has a clue how things will pan out in the long run. What happens if, after relaxing the lockdown, the pandemic takes off again? That could lead to even tighter lockdown than what we have now.

If that happens we could be looking at an empty £1bn stadium for many many months, maybe right through to December or even beyond, which in turn could take us to the brink of disaster, no?
Why would it be a disaster ?
Our model is TV money driven with the stadium the icing on the cake and a differentiator
As long as TV money is incoming we’re fine

That is quite interesting. Something to consider though is that our figure is inflated due to the record income last year (from reaching CL final. Remove the £90 million difference between that and (probably) no European football next year and the valuation number is likely fluctuate quite a bit (especially as the wage to turnover ratio 'W' value at the end would also rise. Arsenal would lose their Europa revenue of £30 million and see the W value worsen. Chelsea would gain probably 40 to 50 million of CL revenue compared to their Europa win and improve the 'W' ratio. It would be good to see the actual figures numbers behind each letter.

It still could be a disaster with us now having £650 million of stadium debt. Of course with interest rates at a record low this isn't of great concern. I do have a fear that the only way countries around the world will be able to pay the huge amount of debt that is taken on as a result of covid will be to inflate it away and that would mean some serious interest rate rises - but that's for another discussion (probably on a non football forum). Another potential issue that could be on the horizon (irrespective of interest rates) is the potential for our corporate revenue to fall quite significantly due to the forthcoming pretty deep recession.

Back