• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

It doesn't really matter if we increase wages if the 5 richer teams are able to raise them quicker (it's not the levels it's the differentials), worried about all the flimflam sponsorship deals they can achieve. Man u have an official tractor partner, Liverpool have an official Chinese water partner and an official doughnut partner.

Will take a good few years of competing to catch up

Good sense.

agree - but it will take a long time before we get near, we will be raising our wages throughout but for those that think that we wont have a Danny Rose situation in the future because we are paying more will be disappointed as he does not think he is underpaid now, just underpaid compared to his rivals - which is a different thing (IMO).

The other thing is the cap on how much you can actually increase your wages by per season.... I think it was £20m per annum

Not sure why anyone (including pundits and ex-players) keep try to advise/critique Levy on the economics of the club/league.

Proven - he has in his time at the club, consistently improved the finances of the club, while improving the facilities (training ground/stadium/area) and getting better results on the field (almost a linear progression).

Yes, we would all like to see Spurs in the same light as Pool/City/United/Scum, but we are not there yet, and I'd trust Levy with money decisions more than any other chairman in the world.

The other thing is the cap on how much you can actually increase your wages by per season.... I think it was £20m per annum

I thought the permitted increase was a % of the wages a club had paid in the previous season, and any extra had to be funded from player sales or other commercial revenues. But it is not so straightforward it seems (and why would anyone expect FFP to be straightforward).
This is the best explanation I have found. It applies to the season before last, but I don't think the rule has changed for PL teams since then. Interestingly, TV revenue is excluded from the permitted revenue streams taken into account when assessing permitted levels of wage increases.

Premier League Short Term Cost Control Rules 2015/2016 season

PL%20Short%20Term%20Cost%20Control%20201516.jpg.opt602x621o0%2C0s602x621.jpg

I thought the permitted increase was a % of the wages a club had paid in the previous season, and any extra had to be funded from player sales or other commercial revenues. But it is not so straightforward it seems (and why would anyone expect FFP to be straightforward).
This is the best explanation I have found. It applies to the season before last, but I don't think the rule has changed for PL teams since then. Interestingly, TV revenue is excluded from the permitted revenue bodies of running water taken into account when assessing permitted levels of wage increases.

Premier League Short Term Cost Control Rules 2015/2016 season

PL%20Short%20Term%20Cost%20Control%20201516.jpg.opt602x621o0%2C0s602x621.jpg
i don't get the first one.... What if last season's player costs were already more than £60 million?

i don't get the first one.... What if last season's player costs were already more than £60 million?

Yes, there is a stage missing. I assume if that applies then you are already at the step where the 'own revenue' box not the right comes into play. It's the clearest explanation I've found (for me, in any case) but still not overly transparent. Maybe that's deliberate.

Not sure why anyone (including pundits and ex-players) keep try to advise/critique Levy on the economics of the club/league.

Proven - he has in his time at the club, consistently improved the finances of the club, while improving the facilities (training ground/stadium/area) and getting better results on the field (almost a linear progression).

Yes, we would all like to see Spurs in the same light as Pool/City/United/Scum, but we are not there yet, and I'd trust Levy with money decisions more than any other chairman in the world.

This!!!

This absolutely.

I hear a lot of pundits over here (Ireland) having a pop at Levy for not spending money the way other clubs are spending.

What they don't seem to take account of is that, right now, we can't afford it. Levy could do what Leeds did and gamble our future away but if he did that he'd be pilloried because we'd effectively still be in a 6 horse race but the price of failure would be catastrophic.

No other English club has improved organically as much as we have in Levy's time and what he's building with the stadium, the facilities and a clear philosophy on transfers and playing style is something that should be lauded. What Levy is building is sustainable and I'm amazed at how many pundits don't seem to realise that.

This absolutely.

I hear a lot of pundits over here (Ireland) having a pop at Levy for not spending money the way other clubs are spending.

What they don't seem to take account of is that, right now, we can't afford it. Levy could do what Leeds did and gamble our future away but if he did that he'd be pilloried because we'd effectively still be in a 6 horse race but the price of failure would be catastrophic.

No other English club has improved organically as much as we have in Levy's time and what he's building with the stadium, the facilities and a clear philosophy on transfers and playing style is something that should be lauded. What Levy is building is sustainable and I'm amazed at how many pundits don't seem to realise that.

Could not agree more, however it saddens me when i see/hear some SPURS fans can not seem to realise this either. I expect nothing from most pundits as they are only trying to fill papers, blogs, tv shows and earn money ( and they will say anything to do that). However fans who must have seen our progress over the last decade or so still accuse him of no ambition, showing no progress, tight fisted, only in it to fill his and Lewis pockets etc, etc.

This absolutely.

Sorry but I think the whole doing a Leeds thing is surely old hat. We have had no nett spend at all , we have the lowest nett spend in the PL over a 5 year period. We would not go bust if we loosened the purse strings a little.

Yes Levy is good is getting a few quid more for players and yes we have had a couple of brilliant signings Bale and Ali. But we have not won anything , Arsenal have won 3 FA Cups in the last 4 years , while we have won just One LC in the Levy's 17 years. That should put things in perspective a little more.
If we build on our current position and win something or even sustain a PL challenge then yes all can be forgiven.\but it could easily not happen

On the whole I agree Levy is a brilliant chairman and we are lucky to have him. But at the same time, this ain't the third reich mate. People are entitled to question or critique certain aspects of his modus operandi. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

It makes no difference to me what ex pundits who weren't Spurs players have to say about Levy. But when it comes to ex Spurs players or Spurs fans, then I believe all of them (Sol Campbell excluded) should be allowed to give their opinion. We're all grown up and intelligent enough to form our own opinions and don't have to agree with something just because someone says it's true or because the hierarchy at our club believe their operating methods when it comes to transfers is the only/best way.

And I know you haven't mentioned the Leeds thing, but it does get a bit tiresome when people trot out the "do a Leeds" line every time someone suggests we could do SOME things differently at times.

Sorry but I think the whole doing a Leeds thing is surely old hat. We have had no nett spend at all , we have the lowest nett spend in the PL over a 5 year period. We would not go bust if we loosened the purse strings a little.

Yes Levy is good is getting a few quid more for players and yes we have had a couple of brilliant signings Bale and Ali. But we have not won anything , Arsenal have won 3 FA Cups in the last 4 years , while we have won just One LC in the Levy's 17 years. That should put things in perspective a little more.

If we build on our current position and win something or even sustain a PL challenge then yes all can be forgiven.\but it could easily not happen

Have you been watching our last two seasons or?

On the whole I agree Levy is a brilliant chairman and we are lucky to have him. But at the same time, this ain't the third reich mate. People are entitled to question or critique certain aspects of his modus operandi. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

It makes no difference to me what ex pundits who weren't Spurs players have to say about Levy. But when it comes to ex Spurs players or Spurs fans, then I believe all of them (Sol Campbell excluded) should be allowed to give their opinion. We're all grown up and intelligent enough to form our own opinions and don't have to agree with something just because someone says it's true or because the hierarchy at our club believe their operating methods when it comes to transfers is the only/best way.

And I know you haven't mentioned the Leeds thing, but it does get a bit tiresome when people trot out the "do a Leeds" line every time someone suggests we could do SOME things differently at times.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it helps if its grounded in something other than click-bait headlines or completely stupid brick like Levy is just cheap or here for a quick profit (16 fudging years later). I don't believe under Levy we are ever going to be even close to a Leeds (and think the reference is as silly as the above brick about quick profit).

Here's my personal opinion, as its how I would look at the business.

- How good are we as a team? - best team in terms of total points in last two seasons in all of PL -> i.e. no need to panic
- Do we have finances to pay more, buy additional players -> yes, I absolutely believe we could spend more
- Is the result of that spending significantly more money = any guaranteed result change on field?

I think the last piece is where people get confused (to me this is just risk management), Citi/Manure/Pool/Scum/list goes on significantly outspent us last season and didn't match our on field results, hence us spending more money (for the sake of it) means nothing and could hinder the right move at a later point.

Our biggest issue is not directly money (my personal opinion, everyone is free to disagree), and this is the conversation I don't hear. Our biggest problem is there aren't many players in the world better than Erikson, Son, Kane, Toby, Dele, etc, the ones that are will go to Real/Barca/PSG/Bayern/etc where money & almost guaranteed silverware will be, the ones that are in the ballpark, won't necessarily want to sit on the bench (e.g. the Morata conversation) behing players like Kane/Eriksen/etc.

A month ago, everyone was posting how we were going to buy nobody, how stupid we are, blah, blah. Now it looks highly likely we will have a very promising CB talent to help the system (3 at back), a possible upgrade on Walker and two future investments, is that really so bad?

The last think I will mention is the "this is our one chance to take advantage" if it doesn't happen now, we will fade to middle table, be mediocrity. Guess what, I've heard that yearly for the last decade, when we sold Kean/Berbs/Bale/Modric, when we got rid of BMJ/Harry, when we missed out on CL to Chelsea, yet every time we recover and actually improve. That is down to how this club is managed .. So if we don't win this year, if we sell Eriksen, Dele in years to come, I'm confident we will still continue to be the real deal, a true top 4/6 club.

Have you been watching our last two seasons or?
I have - but I am judging him over the last 17 seasons . The last two could be a blip and we did not even win anything in the last two.

When I hear he is a " brilliant chairman" I think what would he be called if he actually won something.

It has taken 17 years to have a better season than Arsenal and even then we didn't ( FA Cup).

Once again we are having a last day scramble for players. Putting in bids for possibly the managers 7th choice. Trying to hijack other deals.

Poch is brilliant - but his success kind of comes in spite of Levy ( see this window).

If we pull of some great signings today then great - but it is a very risky strategy . Last year it brought us Sissoko when we hijacked the Everton deal.

In my personal opinion, he could loosen the purse strings a bit, I agree and I think he'll have to in order to hold onto players especially around wages.

However, we can't compete financially right now with the likes of City, Chelsea and United and that's what I'm hearing pundits say we should do. If we suddenly started spending 70 or 80 million each on 3-4 transfers and allowed wages to go to 250k per week for our best players and the inflation that would bring for our other players, the possibility of doing a Leeds would become very real.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it helps if its grounded in something other than click-bait headlines or completely stupid brick like Levy is just cheap or here for a quick profit (16 fudging years later). I don't believe under Levy we are ever going to be even close to a Leeds (and think the reference is as silly as the above brick about quick profit).

Here's my personal opinion, as its how I would look at the business.

- How good are we as a team? - best team in terms of total points in last two seasons in all of PL -> i.e. no need to panic.- This is kind of a moot point in all honesty. Yes we did get the most points over the last two seasons but what good is quoting a stat like that if we didn't win the league in either of those seasons?
- Do we have finances to pay more, buy additional players -> yes, I absolutely believe we could spend more - Agreed
- Is the result of that spending significantly more money = any guaranteed result change on field? - No one is saying it is a guarantee but I have to think it would increase our chances of success

I think the last piece is where people get confused (to me this is just risk management), Citi/Manure/Pool/Scum/list goes on significantly outspent us last season and didn't match our on field results, hence us spending more money (for the sake of it) means nothing and could hinder the right move at a later point. - We have spent smart and wisely. Other than when we signed S Club 7 with the Bale money, we have tended not to splash out hundreds of millions in just one window. It's about quality more so than quantity, although we do need to get more bodies in at the same time.

Our biggest issue is not directly money (my personal opinion, everyone is free to disagree), and this is the conversation I don't hear. Our biggest problem is there aren't many players in the world better than Erikson, Son, Kane, Toby, Dele, etc, the ones that are will go to Real/Barca/PSG/Bayern/etc where money & almost guaranteed silverware will be, the ones that are in the ballpark, won't necessarily want to sit on the bench (e.g. the Morata conversation) behing players like Kane/Eriksen/etc. - It's not easy competing with the likes of the Manchester clubs and Chelsea but there are still plenty of other players available who would come to us. Would we get the likes of Dybala or Mbappe? Probably not, but there's a chance we could land someone like Isco for example. We are going to have to buy players that the likes of United, Chelsea etc don't want in most cases, but that doesn't mean you can't sign quality.

A month ago, everyone was posting how we were going to buy nobody, how stupid we are, blah, blah. Now it looks highly likely we will have a very promising CB talent to help the system (3 at back), a possible upgrade on Walker and two future investments, is that really so bad? - You are right in the respect that we still could sign players. I think some people, myself included were a bit disappointed/baffled that we went into the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game with a 20 year old, raw right back who had played 0 minutes of Premier League football and were short of options in that position for example. I take comfort in the fact that the rules will eventually be changed so that the window closes before the season starts, it makes too much sense for it not to happen in the future. Then we won't be having this conversation anymore.

The last think I will mention is the "this is our one chance to take advantage" if it doesn't happen now, we will fade to middle table, be mediocrity. Guess what, I've heard that yearly for the last decade, when we sold Kean/Berbs/Bale/Modric, when we got rid of BMJ/Harry, when we missed out on CL to Chelsea, yet every time we recover and actually improve. That is down to how this club is managed .. So if we don't win this year, if we sell Eriksen, Dele in years to come, I'm confident we will still continue to be the real deal, a true top 4/6 club. It's a bit different now than say 5 years. We have a better team and manager than we did even under Redknapp. We have not been this close to the title since the 80s![/QUOTE]

See my responses in bold

This absolutely.

This is the weird thing, he really should be recognised and lauded as an EXCELLENT chairman, and the success at Spurs should be all credit to him. And this is not the case at all.

This is the weirder thing. He is made out instead as a pantomime villain, laughed at, made fun of - and Spurs achievements are barely recognised at all.

How fudged up is that?

This is the weird thing, he really should be recognised and lauded as an EXCELLENT chairman, and the success at Spurs should be all credit to him. And this is not the case at all.

This is the weirder thing. He is made out instead as a pantomime villain, laughed at, made fun of - and Spurs achievements are barely recognised at all.

How fudged up is that?

Seems harsh, but people won't fully recognise him until we win trophies on a regular basis.

Back