• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Excellent feature here
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...n-Tour-wins-claims-2009-return-was-clean.aspx

particularly this part

"Verdict from part one of Winfrey interview:

Using Twitter as a barometer for the sentiment of fans and the media, there has been little sympathy thus far for Armstrong. Many have pointed out the implausibility of his claims to have raced clean in 2009, 2010 and the early part of 2011, using USADA’s report, his published blood values, his abandoned anti-doping programme with Don Catlin and the half hour delay an AFLD tester had to tolerate when he arrived at Armstrong’s then-French base in early 2010 as the basis for that.

Armstrong’s insistence that he didn’t have a failed or suspicious test in 2001 has also been regarded with doubt, as have his assertions that he didn’t meet the head of the Lausanne anti-doping lab, despite that particular official and the UCI confirming that was the case.

Those inconsistencies have meant that there is some scepticism about his sincerity in the first half of Winfrey’s interview, even if his performance was polished, seemed self-critical and contained the first-ever admission that he had cheated for much of his career.

Some of his supporters may however choose to applaud his belated decision to finally admit both his faults and his breaking of the rules.

It remains to be seen if the interview will earn him some sympathy with the general public or with disillusioned Livestrong supporters, who may not have the same knowledge of the background details or of the sport itself.

Whatever opinion people have formed, many will tune in to Winfrey’s second show on Friday night, watching and weighing up what Armstrong has to say about the loss of his sponsors and standing down from his Livestrong Foundation, the reactions his mother, his children and others have had to his admission to them, his reported desire to compete again and whatever other questions and answers arise."

7 count them 7 punctures in 3 and a half weeks completely fudged off with the roads round chichester right now, if i see anyone dropping a bottle in the road and cutting the brick out of my tyres with the broken glass i will seriously flip out.

It's soul destroying when you're half way into a big ride, and end up walking home

He'll be claiming that was the top clean rider during his comeback and the real winner next.

I don't understand the statute of limitations claim for only admitting doping up to 2005. He was just stripped of his 2000 Olympic medal and, of course, they stripped him of the seven tours only about six months ago. Clearly the sporting limit is longer.

There is the seven years limit for perjury in some US jurisdictions, which might mean he is in the clear for the Texas court case where he lied to force the insurance company to pay him ($6 million?).

I'm still unsure why he is doing this. He has these legal cases where he is effectively defending himself from a multi-million dollar fraud charge. His admission makes him guilty in these cases, whereas before he had a chance in the courts as some of the USADA evidence might not pass rules of evidence. And he still has his apologists on the web who would continue to promote the myth that he was persecuted.

These apologists have already moved on and are now they are parroting the line that everyone was doing it and he just took drug for a level playing field and he cured cancer. He will obviously have a best selling book soon and it will be of interest to supporters, ex-supporters and "haters". His decision to make an Oprah-confession would make more sense if he already has a deal on potential prison charges.

Andy Schleck riding n the Tour Down Under this week for the first time. Should be good to see how he goes. Stage on Thursday rides down the end of my street.

Andy Schleck riding n the Tour Down Under this week for the first time. Should be good to see how he goes. Stage on Thursday rides down the end of my street.

Speaking of Schleck

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/schleck-i-believe-lance-was-clean-on-comeback_271906

Andy Schleck (RadioShack-Trek) says he believes Lance Armstrong was clean when he returned to cycling in 2009.

The proof? Schleck says it comes with the fact that he finished ahead of the banned Texan in the 2009 Tour, won by Alberto Contador. Schleck was second in that race, with Armstrong third.

“I am confident that he was clean when he came back,” Schleck said Saturday ahead of the Tour Down Under. “I know that because I was always a clean rider. And how could he finish behind me if he was doped? As Lance said, a lot of has changed with the biological passport. I have to believe he was clean in his comeback. I was clean in 2009.”

Armstrong raised some eyebrows during his two-part TV interview with Oprah Winfrey this week by insisting that he was clean when he returned in 2009.

Despite evidence suggesting that Armstrong continued to blood dope in his comeback, Armstrong claims the last time he “crossed that line” by doping came in 2005.

Absolute flimflam there from Schleck.
Schleck's brother tested positive in the 2012 tour.

Perhaps this should have gone in the tennis thread.

Spain accused of a doping cover-up as doctor implicated in cycling's Operation Puerto scandal goes on trial

The Spanish government has been accused of suppressing evidence linking footballers and tennis stars to a notorious doctor who will go on trial in Madrid next week and has been described as a “one-man Wal-Mart” of doping.

By Nick Hoult
The Telegraph
11:00PM GMT 21 Jan 2013

Detectives in Spain have been gathering evidence from all over Europe about Dr Eufemiano Fuentes since first raiding his offices in 2006. The investigation, known as “Operation Puerto”, has revealed one of the most extensive drug rings in sports history.

When Fuentes finally appears in court next Monday charged with public health offences, it will mark the start of a trial expected to last two months and at which cycling’s rampant culture of drug use will be exposed again, just days after Lance Armstrong’s dramatic confession on US television to Oprah Winfrey.

But despite Fuentes freely admitting to working with professional footballers and tennis players as well as cyclists, the Spanish authorities have ruled that the case will only cover his involvement in cycling.

The failure to explore in court Fuentes’s work outside cycling has infuriated the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and led to accusations of a cover-up to limit the impact on Spain’s sporting reputation.

“We have been banging our heads against a brick wall to get access to the evidence that was gathered,” Dave Howman, WADA’s director general, said. “It is not only frustrating and disappointing but it also means that many athletes who might be dirty have been allowed to compete.”

When police sifted through evidence at Fuentes’s office they found fridges filled with bags of blood and labelled with code names such as Bella, Son of Ryan and Zapatero as well as extensive written records. Fifty-four cyclists were implicated in the doping ring and star names such as Tyler Hamilton, Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich were eventually suspended, but many others were cleared.

“We were always told that the patients this man was treating were across a number of sports so it was disappointing that cycling was the only sport isolated,” Howman added.

One of the cyclists whose career was ended by Operation Puerto, Jorge Jaksche, said Fuentes boasted about his work with other sportsmen and that German police suspected Fuentes may have been working with footballers at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

“Yes, for sure he was involved [with other sports] and when he talked about it he was quite proud,” said the German rider, who is due to give evidence in the trial. “If you watch the videos made by the police during the raid at one stage they open the fridge and pull out blood bags. They have certain code names written on them [identifying the athletes] but these names never appear in the report and I think there is a big cover-up by the Spanish government. There is no interest from on high in too much information coming out.”

Fuentes has admitted working with football teams in Spain’s first and second divisions as well as tennis and handball players. Spanish police are believed to have unearthed evidence in his vast database revealing names of Fuentes’s clients but these have never been made public. Police authorities across Europe co-operated on the case and the trail led to Germany. Investigators questioned Jaksche over whether Fuentes had treated him in Frankfurt in 2006.

“I said no because normally he would only go to Germany if there was a stage of the Tour de France there but I think the truth is in 2006 there was the soccer World Cup in Germany and the German police knew something about it but didn’t have the whole information.”

Before the Operation Puerto case, Spain was something of a wild west frontier for doping, as it was not illegal in Spain at the time. In his book, The Secret Race, Hamilton compared Fuentes to the massive American chain Wal-Mart and that “even being conservative, Ufe [Fuentes] was making millions” from supplying doping programmes to athletes. However, because of the legal situation at the time, Fuentes is not being tried for doping offences. He is facing charges of breaking public health laws, with the authorities alleging that the transfusions were not carried out with the appropriate medical facilities.

Reports in Spain have said that Fuentes is not denying that the transfusions took place, but his defence will state they were done with top-of-the-range equipment.

Dozens of riders whose names were found in his files will give evidence at Fuentes’s trial including Tour de France winner Alberto Contador. A court has cleared him of being the person given the code name “AC” in Fuentes’s files.

The International Cycling Union (UCI) has expressed disappointment in the past that only cycling was investigated. “Fuentes said it himself, 30 per cent of his clients were cyclists. Where’s the other 70 per cent?” UCI president Pat McQuaid said when the case was reopened in 2009.

Frank Schleck has been given a one-year ban and will miss the tour.

Rasmussen has just admitted to doping. Press conference later.

Frank Schleck has been given a one-year ban and will miss the tour.

Rasmussen has just admitted to doping. Press conference later.

did schleck confess?

rasmussen was always dodgy anyone could see that, i remember one tour where him and the austrian khol i think it was just flew up the mountains was so obvious.

No one is more anti doping then me but i do wonder how much extra it gives people. Im pretty fit and i have a few days cycling down in the alps this summer, im getting my weight lower then it has ever been but i wonder how much extra epo would give me. Im not saying i would do it i just wonder what extra % it gives cyclists.

Anyone doping should be banned from all sports for life and face prison time.

Guardian sport @guardian_sport

Danish cyclist Michael Rasmussen admits to doping from 1998-2010, quits sport …

did schleck confess?

rasmussen was always dodgy anyone could see that, i remember one tour where him and the austrian khol i think it was just flew up the mountains was so obvious.

No one is more anti doping then me but i do wonder how much extra it gives people. Im pretty fit and i have a few days cycling down in the alps this summer, im getting my weight lower then it has ever been but i wonder how much extra epo would give me. Im not saying i would do it i just wonder what extra % it gives cyclists.

Anyone doping should be banned from all sports for life and face prison time.

Luxembourg ADA went easy on him. They reckoned he unintentionally consumed a small amount of a banned substance. CAS give Contador a 2 year ban for the same thing.
Its up to the UCI or WADA now to appeal that and try to get a longer ban.

Sorry if this was posted aeons ago, I haven't read the thread to be honest

Armstrong: "From hopping on trains 100 years ago to EPO now. No generation was exempt or ‘clean’. Not Merckx’s, not Hinault’s, not LeMond’s, not Coppi’s, not Gimondi’s, not Indurain’s, not Anquetil’s, not Bartali’s, and not mine."

What a pointless 'sport'!

Sorry if this was posted aeons ago, I haven't read the thread to be honest

Armstrong: "From hopping on trains 100 years ago to EPO now. No generation was exempt or ‘clean’. Not Merckx’s, not Hinault’s, not LeMond’s, not Coppi’s, not Gimondi’s, not Indurain’s, not Anquetil’s, not Bartali’s, and not mine."

What a pointless 'sport'!

Lance Armstrong...you are a ****!

I have no doubt in my mind that LeMons was sparkling clean.

Reports now that Armstrong paid off competitors to allow him to win the triple crown and $1M bonus in 1993

Back