• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Surely the team takes the L and not romero solely because of his actions?

I personally would prefer others to stand up for the fight like he does than show the often soft Spurs underbelly which we are oh so famous for
Standing up and fighting is very different from celebrating right in somebodies face after they've scored an own goal. If I was the ref and saw a player do this I would book him for unsporting conduct.

always need someone doing the over the top aggro stuff.
interesting that its another argentinian.
at least this one is a world cup winner...
Do we? Not sure I saw any of Alex Ferguson's Man Utd players laughing right in people's faces when Utd scored? Not sure that Ferguson would've stood for it to be honest. That Man Utd team could mix it with the best of them when it came to a kicking contest but this sort of thing was far more Wenger's Arsenal than Ferguson's Man Utd (and we all know which of two teams was more successful)

Do we? Not sure I saw any of Alex Ferguson's Man Utd players laughing right in people's faces when Utd scored? Not sure that Ferguson would've stood for it to be honest. That Man Utd team could mix it with the best of them when it came to a kicking contest but this sort of thing was far more Wenger's Arsenal than Ferguson's Man Utd (and we all know which of two teams was more successful)

Man united and Fergie just condoned Keane and his teammates making tackles that ended multiple players careers, I know whats worse

Last edited:
My take is that I think it's fine if Romero is more measured with the face-to-face taunting. For example, to act like that while he's winning (whether it's for Argentina or Spurs) only to end up losing or even drawing is kind of embarrassing, tempting karma and all that. I always prefer players in general to show some class and professionalism, and to act like dingdong-holes in retaliation, not as a general policy.
I'm pretty sure Romero sets the tone with his on-field actions rather than getting in opposition players' faces. I've always lauded his aggression even if it means he sometimes gets caught out but I think it's worth the risk.

Again, I think he just needs to be a little more judicious with his winding-up. I get that he's very passionate, but he's clearly in control and can remain calm and focused most of the time. This will probably improve with age too, but if I had to choose between an utter dingdonghead and someone who's overly respectful, I'd definitely rather have the former as a teammate. Someone quick to confront and have your back while also setting the tone right from the get-go that any opposition antics won't be tolerated.

I think we don't have to worry, all the Argentina players looked super hyped for country. Not exactly the same passion for club. Maybe except Messi at Barca.

I expect Romero to be better behaved in the league. The Argentina players support each other so well, the defence can play through the likes of mbappe, giroud and griezman so easily, I wonder how he will feel going back to the current team where he may not look as good.

Also he's on everyone's radar now... Looking further ahead... What's the value of a world Cup winning CB these days?

Standing up and fighting is very different from celebrating right in somebodies face after they've scored an own goal. If I was the ref and saw a player do this I would book him for unsporting conduct.

Agreed again. I like 'fight' (Lamela was a fighter and brickhouse) but Romero could cost us if he continues with needless 70 min fouls through the back and taunting. I think he will need some strong guidance. I hope he remains humble.

Man united and Fergie just condoned Keane and his teammates making tackles that ended multiple players careers, I know whats worse

Spot on.

I think there's a lack of class in behaving like Romero does. I wish it was different in that specific area.

But he also plays with passion and emotion, heart on his sleeve, real competitiveness. Sometimes that can result in behaviour that lacks a bit of class. The vast majority of passionate players are guilty of that, but with various expressions.

I'm not sure one can be removed without the other also being diminished. And in the greater picture taunting opponents when on top really isn't the worst expression this can come out as.

I kinda hope he grows out of it, to some extent at least. He's a young man, young men often do grow out of some of their less classy behaviours. Doing that while keeping the positives of passion and emotion is not an easy thing or quick fix issue.

it is an interesting topic for sure, because yes, the ‘declawing’ of Dele -plus the tactical shift he endured in 2018- definitely did not help him. I appreciate it is a tough balance with Cuti, but he has the potential to be such a colossus for us I really hope he can just even out the white flashes.

For all my defense of him there is certainly a middle ground on it. I do think some jump on his cynical challenges abit too much at times as in some important transitions you have to take the sacrifice to stop the opposition, slow the game, break a dangerous moment and Romero is one of those players who is adept at it and all great teams are good at it, thinking back to city and Fernadinho. Sometimes it's the best of two evils, take the card or the increased danger of conceding

For all my defense of him there is certainly a middle ground on it. I do think some jump on his cynical challenges abit too much at times as in some important transitions you have to take the sacrifice to stop the opposition, slow the game, break a dangerous moment and Romero is one of those players who is adept at it and all great teams are good at it, thinking back to city and Fernadinho. Sometimes it's the best of two evils, take the card or the increased danger of conceding
I don't think it's a tactical fouling issue. I think we are all for that.

Back