• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

The kid wanted to play for his country against their biggest rivals. In a world cup qualifier. The club gave permission. Other clubs didn't.

It's not his fault there's a pandemic on or that fifa couldn't arrange it better.
No it's not his fault in the same way as it's not my fault.
Evrybody on the planet has had to make massive sacrifices and curtail certain things. He's in a wildly privaliged position and has just earned a big money move to the Prem but awww he wants to play with his mates.
Not good enough for me and the pair of them have taken the tinkle out of the club and the fans.

No it's not his fault in the same way as it's not my fault.
Evrybody on the planet has had to make massive sacrifices and curtail certain things. He's in a wildly privaliged position and has just earned a big money move to the Prem but awww he wants to play with his mates.
Not good enough for me and the pair of them have taken the tinkle out of the club and the fans.

No he wants to go to the world cup to represent his country. He refuses to play in the qualifiers that puts it at risk.

It might not be good enough for you but it was good enough for spurs and they let him go.

Reactions: DTA
No he wants to go to the world cup to represent his country. He refuses to play in the qualifiers that puts it at risk.

It might not be good enough for you but it was good enough for spurs and they let him go.
It really shouldn't have been good enough for Spurs and I think it's embarrassing that there was an arrangement made with the players when 7 Brazillians from the big clubs, our direct rivals, didn't travel.
My guess would be that it was made clear to our players that we didn't want them to go but decided coming down hard wasn't the way to play it, that for me was a mistake and sends a message that Spurs are small time when compared to the clubs that didn't let their players go.
Saying all that it doesn't excuse Romero, who having signed has basically made himself unavailable to the club that pays his wages and doesn't make a good impression before he's really even kicked a ball.

They went against the clubs wishes, no?

Saw this yesterday, but no idea as to its validity :

It could be that was deemed a compromise, it would still mean missing Palace and Rennes but could be worse.
Stretching here, but perhaps there's an agreement that we let them go to this one, but keep them back from the next round of internationals - which our rivals might find more difficult to do a second time?

Edit - just realised that tweet is probably referring to an agreement with the Brazilian authorities rather than between Tottenham and the AFA.

Saw this yesterday, but no idea as to its validity :

It could be that was deemed a compromise, it would still mean missing Palace and Rennes but could be worse.
Stretching here, but perhaps there's an agreement that we let them go to this one, but keep them back from the next round of internationals - which our rivals might find more difficult to do a second time?

Edit - just realised that tweet is probably referring to an agreement with the Brazilian authorities rather than between Tottenham and the AFA.
Been differing reports on that, but no agreement made public and I think the Argentinian manager said he expected the players to be there for the last game too.

Would be good (or better at least) if true, but not holding me breath. Guess we'll find out today or tomorrow at the latest.

You don't get to pick and chose if you go to international matches, you are called up. End of. Don't turn up and you will be sanctioned.
Was there such ire over harry kane playing in a meaningless 3rd place game at the wc after he'd slogged his guts out all season?
Romero is just in the door and it seems some have the knives out already.

You don't get to pick and chose if you go to international matches, you are called up. End of. Don't turn up and you will be sanctioned.
Was there such ire over harry kane playing in a meaningless 3rd place game at the wc after he'd slogged his guts out all season?
Romero is just in the door and it seems some have the knives out already.
I agree. Yes the club 'pays his wages' but also sign him knowing full well that international football will take these players away from time to time. It's hardly a new thing and actually written clearly into the rules.

In this situation though I'm surprised that no-one along the line (including Tottenham officials) has not flagged up that the Brazilian covid entry requirements are just as clear, and would lead to a period of 14 days quarantine when entering Brazil, rendering the whole trip pointless. (And fancy lying on an passenger entry form, you're a visible prem footballer FFS)

Whether the Argentine FA had an agreement with their Brazilian counterparts I'm not sure (and this has been reneged on?) but it would be weird if they did, considering all Brazilian prem based players stayed away, why would Brazil give Argentina an advantage?

It's a mess that WE are badly effected by, but hopefully some kind of 'sorting out' will come from this embarrassing event.

I agree. Yes the club 'pays his wages' but also sign him knowing full well that international football will take these players away from time to time. It's hardly a new thing and actually written clearly into the rules.

In this situation though I'm surprised that no-one along the line (including Tottenham officials) has not flagged up that the Brazilian covid entry requirements are just as clear, and would lead to a period of 14 days quarantine when entering Brazil, rendering the whole trip pointless. (And fancy lying on an passenger entry form, you're a visible prem footballer FFS)

Whether the Argentine FA had an agreement with their Brazilian counterparts I'm not sure (and this has been reneged on?) but it would be weird if they did, considering all Brazilian prem based players stayed away, why would Brazil give Argentina an advantage?

It's a mess that WE are badly effected by, but hopefully some kind of 'sorting out' will come from this embarrassing event.

I'd assumed the reason the Brazilian PL players didn't travel was because of the quarantine requirements in the UK, having returned from/visited Brazil, rather than any Brazil quarantine requirements? You'd have thought if it was Brazil quarantine rules someone over here would have picked up on that.

Separately, according to Ally Gold, Lo Celso, Romero and Sanchez are all going to be fined by the club for going without club permission.

I'd assumed the reason the Brazilian PL players didn't travel was because of the quarantine requirements in the UK, having returned from/visited Brazil, rather than any Brazil quarantine requirements? You'd have thought if it was Brazil quarantine rules someone over here would have picked up on that.

Separately, according to Ally Gold, Lo Celso, Romero and Sanchez are all going to be fined by the club for going without club permission.
Brazil's Covid rules are the same as ours (if not harsher eg not even accepting direct flights)...from gov.uk...

Aircraft passengers who have been in the UK, South Africa or India in the 14 days prior to arriving in Brazil must quarantine for 14 days.

Brazil has temporarily suspended all direct flights from or via the UK, and has temporarily suspended permission for foreigners who have been in the UK during the previous 14 days to board flights to Brazil. There are exemptions, including for resident foreigners, close family members of Brazilian nationals (partners/spouses, children, and parents/guardians), accredited government officials, and professionals working for international organisations. This exemption is subject to a requirement to quarantine on arrival in Brazil for 14 days. Some British nationals have been denied boarding by airlines. You should check with the airline before buying a ticket to confirm you will be allowed to board.

So, someone (or many people) are ignoring information that is clearly laid out, and then expect brick not to happen.

Basically a return trip would require 24 days of quarantine in total. 14 out 10 on return. Logistically, physically, professionally that can't happen and another solution is required. Which was available in the summer and CONMEBOL chose not to take.

Brazil's Covid rules are the same as ours (if not harsher eg not even accepting direct flights)...from gov.uk...

Aircraft passengers who have been in the UK, South Africa or India in the 14 days prior to arriving in Brazil must quarantine for 14 days.

Brazil has temporarily suspended all direct flights from or via the UK, and has temporarily suspended permission for foreigners who have been in the UK during the previous 14 days to board flights to Brazil. There are exemptions, including for resident foreigners, close family members of Brazilian nationals (partners/spouses, children, and parents/guardians), accredited government officials, and professionals working for international organisations. This exemption is subject to a requirement to quarantine on arrival in Brazil for 14 days. Some British nationals have been denied boarding by airlines. You should check with the airline before buying a ticket to confirm you will be allowed to board.

So, someone (or many people) are ignoring information that is clearly laid out, and then expect brick not to happen.

Basically a return trip would require 24 days of quarantine in total. 14 out 10 on return. Logistically, physically, professionally that can't happen and another solution is required. Which was available in the summer and CONMEBOL chose not to take.

Understand that. But you'd think there must have been some agreement or understanding, mistaken or otherwise, between the Argentinian FA/CONEMBOL/Brazil that the restrictions would be waived or lifted? I mean the players wouldn't have travelled unless they knew they wouldn't have to quarantine. I've seen it mentioned that there was a 72 hour waiver, but that the match didn't kick off until after the 72 hours had passed. Which seems ludicrous if true, but then that's reflective of this whole situation (and still doesn't explain away excluding mention of the UK in the immigration paperwork).
Shambles is the kindest word I can come up to describe the situation.

Understand that. But you'd think there must have been some agreement or understanding, mistaken or otherwise, between the Argentinian FA/CONEMBOL/Brazil that the restrictions would be waived or lifted? I mean the players wouldn't have travelled unless they knew they wouldn't have to quarantine. I've seen it mentioned that there was a 72 hour waiver, but that the match didn't kick off until after the 72 hours had passed. Which seems ludicrous if true, but then that's reflective of this whole situation (and still doesn't explain away excluding mention of the UK in the immigration paperwork).
Agree - there must have been some sort of agreement. Otherwise, what did Brazil plan on doing with the players from the PL that they had called up? Granted, they were prevented in coming by their clubs but they would have had some special dispensation for them so I don't see how they couldn't of had the same thing in place for the Argentinians....

There probably was, and when they threatened this behavior the day before, CONEMBOL told them to go ahead with the match (indicating this was probably something already discussed).

The execution of the action, i.e. waiting until the match had specifically begun says more about it than anything else, this was a stage for some flimflam agenda more than "hey, these guys incorrectly filled out some paperwork"

Indeed. I did refer to that in my original post. A reneged on arrangement or stupid misunderstanding.
Think it just all comes under the title 'South American football...nothing ever surprises you!'

It's littered with these type of events, situations, outrages....but I kind of love it because of that.

Mate it's South America those rules are only for the plebs.
Willian remember him? He travelled back from the UK and was in the Brazil squad without any 14 day quarantine.

The whole problem arises from the Copa in the summer. Brazil hosted it in empty stadiums with each team in their bubbles organised by CONMEBOL.
Argentina stayed in Brazil. After a month they knew the Brazilian CONMEBOL protocols off as they applied to footballers.

Now come a few days ago. Its a CONMEBOL game organised in Brazil. The AFA, CBF and CONMEBOL expected the same rules to apply.

Until Bolsonaro got involved. He saw an oppurtunity for him to get one over on Argentina.
It's the equivalent of Boris seeing an opportunity to kick the Germans out to appeal to his base.

One of Bolsonaro's guys runs the health authority.

The AFA, CFB and CONMEBOL wanted the game to go ahead.
Bolsonaro's health authority, which has been asleep at the wheel the whole way through the pandemic with a lax attitude, suddenly woke up when it saw a chance to kick Brazil's great rival.

This is pretty good on it https://www.eldiarioar.com/deportes...-brasil-neymar-argentina-messi_1_8275058.html

Back