• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Crime and violence in Tottenham area?

Daisuk

Les Medley
I came a across an article online that describes Tottenham as a poverty stricken and crime ridden area, even violent. Lots of people chiming in with comments along the lines of "not feeling safe even on a match day" and so on and so forth. I've only been up in Tottenham on a few occasions when it's not been a match day. Have always prefered walking from Seven Sisters up to the stadium, and have never once felt intimidated or frightened (even though I'm a pretty anxious dude).

Anyways, I know the area is poor, but it has never struck me as potentially violent or dangerous on a match day! Have never felt that vibe, and I've been walking around the area by myself or with just one other buddy, as obvious tourists, and have never once experienced anything intimidating. A friend of mine went to White Hart Lane last weekend to visit the Spurs shop (after the CL game against Leverkusen), and said he experienced three young guys starting a fight on the train station, but that seemed to be a thing amongst themselves, nothing targeted towards visitors or innocent people in the area.

So, have anyone else here actually experienced any crime/violence in Tottenham? On a match day?
It just sounded a bit too tabloid and "scare, scare, scare" to me.

Around the match it's fairly safe, but walking to the train two hours after staying behind in corporate after a night match, was a different experience!
Seen plenty of police tape around incidences along Park Lane back to Northumberland Station, and I don't go that often!
Murder in the Bill Nic Pub recently springs to mind.

The area is mad, go on a non match day or like LemonadeMoney said go 2 hours after the event and its a whole new world.

You are safe on match days because of sheer numbers of people wanting a good day/night out numbering those wanting trouble and increased policing

Never seen any trouble on a match or a non match day. Admittedly, my visits to Tottenham on a match day far outweigh my non-matchday visits. I go to games on my own so I walk back to Seven Sisters after each game on my Jack Jones and I've never feared for my safety.

Sometimes take the shortcut to Tottenham Hale - I did that once going to WHL for a European night, never again, made a be line towards the high street asap. I have lived around Elephant & Castle and not felt the "danger" as per then. It changes when the Sun goes down...

It's long been a bit of a brickhole, and crime-ridden. As a kid from North London I was told never to venture there (apart from match days). But then I was also told never to venture to Shoreditch (where I now work), Hackney, Stoke Newington etc.

Things are going to change slowly I think, know lot's of professionals buying property there, the new stadium will definitely change things as well.

Going outwards from the city along the old Roman road (aka A10): Shorditch, Hommerton are fully gentrified. Hackney is getting there. You can't buy a reasonable small place to live in Hackney for less than half a million. Church Street, Stoke Newington are also populated by organic fruit buying middle classes, but that's where it stops. South Tottenham, Seven Sisters, Tottenham Hale, Bruce Grove are yet to see the same gentrification.

Good areas to invest in I guess, as all the surrounding areas have gone up massively - Walthamstow, Crouchend etc. There's also the untapped huge reservoirs, excuse the pun. The 10 reservoirs provide most of the tap water to London. One day they'll open these up turning them into nature parks, and sailing lakes, with bourgeois places to lunch... To be fair, if they did, it could transform Tottenham Hale.

I don't think Tottenham is particularly unsafe though. Just an undeveloped eye-sore.

Last edited:
Other side of Hale station, and just half a mile from WHL. Crazy really, jut been forgotten about. In a way it will be shame if its opened up. But it could completely transform the area imo.

Edit: looks like the reservoirs are being developed and opened up a little: http://www.walthamstow-wetlands.org.uk/

Looks like it will be quite closed off still, but an amazing huge place, most people don't know it's even there.

Last edited:
I'm often finding my way home from there several hours after the match has ended or late at night and I've never experienced anything untoward - think a lot of it is perspective, if you're not used to being in that kind environment then you'll be a little put out.

the area of Tottenham has already started to raise its prices (my hipster in-laws couldn't afford to buy there) and a real bargain can no longer be found. If you are willing to wait 5-10 yrs and still have a bit of "rough around the edges" its a no brainer, with the Marshes and a short train into leafy countryside. But you will need to look over your shoulder for the next 15 yrs while the gentrification happens, if Dalston can be gentrified then Tottenham is a certainty

I'm often finding my way home from there several hours after the match has ended or late at night and I've never experienced anything untoward - think a lot of it is perspective, if you're not used to being in that kind environment then you'll be a little put out.

I agree, when I first went to New York back late 80's I was told not to travel on Subway after dark but I found ok and the best way to get around quickly. It's just a normal rundown city area you find all round the world. I lived in Kings Cross for about 3 years in late 60's and that was dangerous.

It all depends what you consider dangerous? One of my best mates is in the Met and the area in terms of crime rate is considered dangerous. Our sample size of match days and the odd wander down the high street no way reflects the day to day

Back