• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

totally, but the media tells it's slant, to support it's political narrative and in written media, let''s take The Sun and Guardian, they'll spin on the wings they support.

But BBC and Sky are actually fairly impartial, not perfect, hence why we rank 30th in Media Freedom Index, but not all publications are terrible. I don't think anyone WANTS a lockdown. We saw similar posts previously saying "scientists are begging for a lockdown to keep themselves in the limelight" - sorry, think that's horse a manure of a view. I fail to believe the Chief Medical Officer wants to be the guy that oversees 150,000 dead people on his watch.

I dont think so but there are two sides here, they dont want to be the guys that understate it only for it to flare up and others outside government want a name for themselves which in science invariably means having your name in lights next to a scientific theory that proves correct, some with not as much to lose....

I think the comments here are quite balanced personally. Obviously there are some who are less willing to give up their civil liberties more than others, but I find it quite refreshing to the endless doom mongering in the news media and on Twitter. The news has a negativity bias at the best of times but I find their narrative during covid as a whole has been appalling. What percentage of people who catch this disease die or end up in hospital seriously ill? You’d think it was 50%+ the way they talk. Most people in hospital right now with covid I’d be willing to be are unvaccinated but that’s not the narrative in the media.
I was told very recently by someone whose father is a doctor that the vast majority hospitalised due to Covid are unvaccinated but it’s not allowed to come out because of concerns regarding how the vaccinated will behave towards the unvaccinated eg intimidation/violence etc….

I was told very recently by someone whose father is a doctor that the vast majority hospitalised due to Covid are unvaccinated but it’s not allowed to come out because of concerns regarding how the vaccinated will behave towards the unvaccinated eg intimidation/violence etc….
I've heard that lots too from hospital workers. Unvaccinated and obese are nearly all hospitalisations. Simple age is far far less of a factor since vaccines

They showed a slide today which showed by age and vaccination status and it was hugely weighted in older unvaccinated people

didnt think it was being hidden, i read that 90% of ICU patients are unvaccinated.

Went to Bokan in Canary Wharf for a team (10 pax) Christmas meal this evening. When it was booked a few weeks ago the only slot available was 6pm, table back in 2 hours.
Tonight, the place was practically empty, so no issue with how long we stayed. The girl on reception said since omicron became an issue they have had loads and loads of cancellations. I would guess working from home hasn’t helped either but I have to say I was shocked at the effect this is having as I haven’t experienced that more locally - not yet at least.

Went to Bokan in Canary Wharf for a team (10 pax) Christmas meal this evening. When it was booked a few weeks ago the only slot available was 6pm, table back in 2 hours.
Tonight, the place was practically empty, so no issue with how long we stayed. The girl on reception said since omicron became an issue they have had loads and loads of cancellations. I would guess working from home hasn’t helped either but I have to say I was shocked at the effect this is having as I haven’t experienced that more locally - not yet at least.

Not just restaurants effected.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-theatre-London-West-End-shows-cancelled.html

think we've been so focused on hospitilisations and sickness levels, we've completely mis-read the upcoming situation. If you have a large proportion of people ill, squeezed into a short timeframe, as one analogy put it, imagine 1 years rainfall in 1 day, it will cause a deluge and overwhelm still.

Lots of people ill, absent, isolating in a short time, this will hit economies, countries HARD.

think we've been so focused on hospitilisations and sickness levels, we've completely mis-read the upcoming situation. If you have a large proportion of people ill, squeezed into a short timeframe, as one analogy put it, imagine 1 years rainfall in 1 day, it will cause a deluge and overwhelm still.

Lots of people ill, absent, isolating in a short time, this will hit economies, countries HARD.

This came so quickly I'm not sure what else could have been done?

Strategically this is back to square 1 - as little contact as possible and vaccinated asap.
The differences being, I. We have the infrastructure and II. We don't have the energy for the lockdowns again.
So this does seem like the best route.
It'll almost certainly result in minimal deaths and hospitalisation, so we'll have a new set of evidence to use for the next time a significant new variant comes.
One more year, possibly two of the cycle until the developed world has a full picture of "how we live with this".

Thats why scotlands new isolation rules are a bit nuts. Whole household has to isolate for 10 days, positive or not. I understand the thinking but it will shut down the economy. Think we'll have to change it to only have to isolate when you are positive until you have a negative test. Or maybe even just isolate while you are too sick to work. Omicron seems to infect people for shorter periods than other variants thankfully.

One thing though, this isn't going to be going on for months, more like weeks. For better or worse.

Hopefully that is the case, and if it is now is maybe not a bad time to have it.
A lot of business close for two weeks, or there abouts at Christmas. So the impact might not be so large.
It may mean a smaller Christmas, but im sure we'd all trade that to see this get a step closer to the end.

France shuts down for the whole of August every year. Projections are that this will blow through everyone in the next 2-3 weeks. From an economic point of view (but obviously not a healthcare one), ripping the plaster off in one is much better than the slow burn of the last 2 years.

Thats why scotlands new isolation rules are a bit nuts. Whole household has to isolate for 10 days, positive or not. I understand the thinking but it will shut down the economy. Think we'll have to change it to only have to isolate when you are positive until you have a negative test. Or maybe even just isolate while you are too sick to work. Omicron seems to infect people for shorter periods than other variants thankfully.

One thing though, this isn't going to be going on for months, more like weeks. For better or worse.
It will be months. Probably about two.
One month lag time from infection to hospitalisation.
Three - six weeks to get everyone jabbed, with declining risk the further along you get.

Realistically we'll have an good picture around week two or three in Jan.
Assuming vaccination roll out is efficient and infections have mild impact, we can probably say mid-Feb for an "all clear".

It will be months. Probably about two.
One month lag time from infection to hospitalisation.
Three - six weeks to get everyone jabbed, with declining risk the further along you get.

Realistically we'll have an good picture around week two or three in Jan.
Assuming vaccination roll out is efficient and infections have mild impact, we can probably say mid-Feb for an "all clear".

It's isn't a month lag between infection to hospitalisation. Not for the old variants and not for omicron (which seems to have a much shorter infection rate). It's why they record deaths as within 28 days of a positive test.
Gauteng the epicenter are already passed their peak. They're what 2 to 3 weeks ahead of us? Hospitalisations are on average there for 2.8 days.
The vast majority of us will have had it and recovered by February. Obviously there will be those effected longer though.

Back