• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Full booster vaccine advice from JCVI

Boosters must be provided before any possible wave of Omicron to maximise their efficacy, Prof Wei Shin Lim continues.

The vaccine expert explains the timing is key and if a vaccine is deployed is in the middle or at the peak of a wave, the effect is less pronounced.

However, he emphasises he is not predicting a wave of the variant - they want to make sure they are fully prepared if it does happen.

Prof Lim lays out the five pieces of advice issued by the JCVI for the booster programme:

• Boosters should be extended to adults aged 18-39
  • The rollout should follow prioritisation of older and vulnerable people, to ensure the people most at risk are protected, with the booster offered no sooner than three months after the second
  • Severely immunocompromised people should be given a fourth dose of a vaccine, with three jabs being considered the first course
  • The booster dose should be from an mRNA vaccine - the Pfizer-Biontech or Moderna vaccines - as these generate a very strong immune response given as a boost
  • Children aged 12 to 15 years old should be offered a second dose of the vaccine, 12 weeks after their first
He adds the priority must be the booster programme, to protect the most vulnerable people.

I find it ridiculous that people have any outrage when all that has happened is masking and PCRs for travellers. Literal snowflakes and these pricks coined that phrase

I think the issue is more that zero covid twitter/the newspapers will use any foothold to scream for more and more restrictions. And that's a very slippery slope to whatever hellish dystopian prison they seem to crave. So I don't think it's specifically about what is being asked, its more drawing an early line in the sand.

Although after 6 months of moving nicely from risk avoidance to risk acceptance (with the mitigation of vaccines and therapeutics), there will be a lot of kick back to the reversal of that. It does sort of break the 'take your vaccines and...' social contract that was made.

I find it ridiculous that people have any outrage when all that has happened is masking and PCRs for travellers. Literal snowflakes and these pricks coined that phrase

Tbh i don't go on twitter and that so haven't seen much outrage. Just the usual antivax think it's all a hoax idiots spamming comment sections on youtube news threads.
They're not even worth engaging. Only a small minority.
Nobody in the real world i know has a problem.

Wouldn't that also put you both back at home?

Working Tescos checkouts or bar jobs would be preferable. I'd seriously take 2/3 cut in salary just to be able to keep seeing other humans. I'd try for it as a career break, rather than full resignation

Last edited:
Tbh i don't go on twitter and that so haven't seen much outrage. Just the usual antivax think it's all a hoax idiots spamming comment sections on youtube news threads.
They're not even worth engaging. Only a small minority.
Nobody in the real world i know has a problem.

I think that's a bit unfair. Antivaxxers are loonies. The I'll take the chance of an million-to-one serious illness for the sake of having a decent life back, is I think the significant majority of the country, if the behaviours of the past 6 months are anything to go by.

Of course, some people are too thin. But this pandemic like most diseases has affected people with obesity. Something like 75% of the deaths worldwide are partly attributed to obesity.

I'd like to see the source for that statistic.
Sugar and processed food could be taxed far more heavily, or limits placed on its content in food. But both parties are too in the pockets of big business to ever do that. Make fresh food cheaper than processed food and the health of the nation leaps forward overnight.

People are so overweight here compared to 30-40 years ago. Sedentary work has contributed, but it's mainly the rise of brick foods and a sugar/taste buds arms race

Both the major players.
The amount of sugar/empty fast-hitting carbs which are snuck into foods these days is disgraceful. Add that to non-exercise and it is a tough road.

obesity is a symptom of metabolic dysfunction and past a certain point compounds dis-ease. metabolic dysfunction is multi-factorial and includes hormonal dysfunction, microbiome dysbiosis, genetics/epigenetics and the obesogenic environment we currently inhabit.

Absolutely. Trust me, not many in these parts will agree because they don't know...

I think that's a bit unfair. Antivaxxers are loonies. The I'll take the chance of an million-to-one serious illness for the sake of having a decent life back, is I think the significant majority of the country, if the behaviours of the past 6 months are anything to go by.

Go on youtube look at any sky news story on covid for the last year. It's the same people, the same comments.
Dr john camples channel used to get hit a lot aswell. They even pretended to be him saying his daughter died. Calling vaxs poison the lot.

Go on youtube look at any sky news story on covid for the last year. It's the same people, the same comments.
Dr john camples channel used to get hit a lot aswell. They even pretended to be him saying his daughter died. Calling vaxs poison the lot.

There's definitely a (sadly too large and loud) fringe that is anti-vax. But I do think hostility towards reversing restrictions is a (or even the) mainstream position, from a group that have also fully supported and engaged in the vaccination programme. Being anti-restrictions and pro-vax is a completely harmonious/logical position.

There's definitely a (sadly too large and loud) fringe that is anti-vax. But I do think hostility towards reversing restrictions is a (or even the) mainstream position, from a group that have also fully supported and engaged in the vaccination programme. Being anti-restrictions and pro-vax is a completely harmonious/logical position.

Dunno. Wearing a mask in a shop is the only real change. Doubt most have a problem with it. None i've met anyway.

I think the issue is more that zero covid twitter/the newspapers will use any foothold to scream for more and more restrictions. And that's a very slippery slope to whatever hellish dystopian prison they seem to crave. So I don't think it's specifically about what is being asked, its more drawing an early line in the sand.

Although after 6 months of moving nicely from risk avoidance to risk acceptance (with the mitigation of vaccines and therapeutics), there will be a lot of kick back to the reversal of that. It does sort of break the 'take your vaccines and...' social contract that was made.

I'm pretty clear there is enough immunity, vaccine and via infection, for us to now return to normal as long as we don't cripple the health system. We need that working. The zero Covid lot now are genuinely terrifying as it's impossible. We either have to live with it or we never leave our homes.

I’m not normally susceptible to conspiracy theories, but the media have been so negative (excuse the pun) about this whole pandemic. I get that bad news sells, but their behaviour has been a disgrace IMO. My phone pings multiple times a day with “updates” from BBC news about the shiny new variant which they are all thrilled about. I don’t need to know if one poor bloke in Scotland or Bristol has contracted the new variant. Just give me the facts and stop gaslighting us. I never got constant updates from the app every 5 minutes when the case numbers and deaths started to drop consistently, funny that.

Back