• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

non-figuratively shake my head reading more SAGE utter brick

If 70% of the population have been vaccinated, and at least 25% of the population have had Covid, even allowing for overlap between those groups (although generally older people have been vaccinated and younger people tended to have it), there's almost nobody left who is susceptible or can transmit it. If herd immunity is ever going to work, it will start/is working now.

80,000 death in 18-35 year olds, a population who had net zero deaths in the first two waves?

Should those who refuse the vaccination be made to pay for any subsequent treatment they need should they go on to contract the virus?

No.
That's not how our health system works. We don't make people pay for treatment due to choices they make, be that smoking, drinking, over-eating etc.
People need to be encouraged to take up the vaccine but they shouldn't be refused NHS treatment if they don't.

big mistake to open up indoor dining and interaction tomorrow. postpone for a month, "control the virus", get numbers down. We've waited this long, 1 month longer isn't the end of the world.
Why not just not open it in areas known to have the Indian variant rather than shutting the whole country down yet again

They have done this in Scotland with Glasgow being a 3 not a 2

Why, who is that desperate for an inside drink haha

Pubs open at midnight – but they're off to a slow start

Pubs had a relatively slow start as they welcomed punters inside at the earliest possible opportunity.

The Oak Inn in Coventry was among the venues opening their doors at midnight as restrictions eased in England, with owner Darren Lee saying about 100 people gathered for a drink.

He admitted it wasn't "overly busy".

But he said the early opening had been "very well received", adding that his locals were "really glad to be back inside - they're really up for it".

He anticipated larger numbers building throughout the day on Monday and into the evening as people finish worked work.

That hope was shared by Ian Snowball, the owner of Showtime Bar in Huddersfield, who acknowledged it was not as busy at his venue as when lockdown easing on 12 April allowed pub gardens to reopen.

"It's not as big as it was when we first opened in the garden, that was immense," he said.

"This is a bit of an anti-climax but I think it'll build up again - the anticipation isn't quite there like it was last time.

"But it's still good fun," he added.

Sat nearby was Finlay Woodhead, 20, who could barely contain his excitement at being back inside a pub.

"I'm over the moon, I've been waiting so long. It's so nice to be sat inside where it's warm. I love it, honestly, I love it."

Mr Snowball said he was hopeful his venue would not have to go into lockdown again, adding: "I think for people from the north, it's kind of special to us, a pub. There's an intimacy when we all get together, with our friends, and we talk."

Why not just not open it in areas known to have the Indian variant rather than shutting the whole country down yet again

They have done this in Scotland with Glasgow being a 3 not a 2

i think that's an option, however based on previous experience it's done little to control the virus. Look back at tier ratings before, how many areas which were Tier 3 went back to Tier 1, very few. On top of that, surrounding areas leaked into T3.

However, even that is a better option than simply opening pubs and restaurants in say Bolton.

big mistake to open up indoor dining and interaction tomorrow. postpone for a month, "control the virus", get numbers down. We've waited this long, 1 month longer isn't the end of the world.

No one has really been bothering with the current restrictions since about the end of Feb when the oldest and vulnerable had all been vaccinated and the sun first reappeared

Unless there's any evidence that the small numbers getting ill now are those other than older vaccine refusers (which seems the case in Bolton and Northampton), there just won't be any compliance whatsoever.

Singapore have 30 cases currently yet have gone back to not having kids at school, that's ridiculous

agree, we need to live with the virus.

however, we DON'T need international travel in and out the country. get the UK open, pubs, bars, restaurants with a UK vaccinated population. After that, then look at opening internatioanl travel more freely. We don't need added risks to close things down again.

I've just completed the short health questionnaire for Wednesday's game.
One of the questions is :
"Have you visited or stopped in any other country or territory outside the UK Government travel corridor list within the last 10 days?....If you have visited any of these, but for work purposes only, please select NO."

Why would visiting one of those countries for work purposes be treated as if you haven't been there at all? Makes little sense to me. If anything, being in a work environment you are more likely to be spending time indoors and in closer proximity to other people.

No one has really been bothering with the current restrictions since about the end of Feb when the oldest and vulnerable had all been vaccinated and the sun first reappeared

Unless there's any evidence that the small numbers getting ill now are those other than older vaccine refusers (which seems the case in Bolton and Northampton), there just won't be any compliance whatsoever.

Maybe in your world, in mine most people have been obedient.

However the outlook is the same and the government should not rely on continued goodwill given the now widely appreciated failure to protect out communities from without.

I've just completed the short health questionnaire for Wednesday's game.
One of the questions is :
"Have you visited or stopped in any other country or territory outside the UK Government travel corridor list within the last 10 days?....If you have visited any of these, but for work purposes only, please select NO."

Why would visiting one of those countries for work purposes be treated as if you haven't been there at all? Makes little sense to me. If anything, being in a work environment you are more likely to be spending time indoors and in closer proximity to other people.

What if you was in say Hilton Benidorm for work and I was in Hilton Benidorm for holiday? RIDICULOUS.

I'm kidding of course. As if they'd be a Hilton in Benidorm.

No.
That's not how our health system works. We don't make people pay for treatment due to choices they make, be that smoking, drinking, over-eating etc.
People need to be encouraged to take up the vaccine but they shouldn't be refused NHS treatment if they don't.

But indirectly they do, the taxes on tobacco and alcohol are high in order to offset some of the health and social damage they cause. We should definitely be taxing people more on fattier food I think - obesity is one of the biggest costs to the NHS. At the very least we should be educating more.

The Indian variant is not everywhere. And we are still averaging 2000 cases a day. So the infection rate has flattened even though the deadly new variant that spreads more is everywhere? Look I'm no anti lockdown person but some of the fear mongering from the independent Sage types is criminal.

The Indian variant is not everywhere. And we are still averaging 2000 cases a day. So the infection rate has flattened even though the deadly new variant that spreads more is everywhere? Look I'm no anti lockdown person but some of the fear mongering from the independent Sage types is criminal.

I don’t think it’s more deadly and there is a lot of media hyperbole.

But if it’s been detected in 86 council regions already, and its recorded prevalence has increased by 75% in four days, you can pretty much bet it’s everywhere.

Today’s unlocking will see it spread even more rapidly in the coming days.

Back