• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

It's still a huge undertaking. Just under 20% of the UK's population is over 65. If we get to 2m vaccinations a week, it'll take you three months to give each of them two doses.

On top of that you need to prioritise people with long term health conditions, key workers and possibly secondary school pupils.
As we know the Govt have pretty much fudged everything up this is the chance to get this done fast and correctly and hopefully some of the restrictions can be relaxed

Don't mean to be all doom and gloom but:

we're facing massive issues on actually administering the vaccine as already highlighted. GP services and pharmacies aren't enough to hit 1m a week. If you're under the age of 50 the chances of you getting the vaccine won't be til around Sept 2021 based on 1m a week, and we're not even testing 1m people a week so how can we vaccinate 1m a week?

Also the assumption that only elderly will need it is false, already highlighted many people with no health issues or under 60 can still die, some US Senator or something aged 41 died this week from it.

Lastly our government has shown ineptitude at every possible corner on this task. How on earth can you think they'll get a mass vaccination programme delivered properly for the population, they can't even get basics right.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

we're facing massive issues on actually administering the vaccine as already highlighted. GP services and pharmacies aren't enough to hit 1m a week. If you're under the age of 50 the chances of you getting the vaccine won't be til around Sept 2021 based on 1m a week, and we're not even testing 1m people a week so how can we vaccinate 1m a week?

Also the assumption that only elderly will need it is false, already highlighted many people with no health issues or under 60 can still die, some US Senator or something aged 41 died this week from it.

Lastly our government has shown ineptitude at every possible corner on this task. How on earth can you think they'll get a mass vaccination programme delivered properly for the population, they can't even get basics right.

My feelings exactly. Israel are already showing how to do it. We’re still arguing about Brexit.

They could use the armed forces, the fire service, st john's ambulance, red cross etc to help out, or put the call out to retired medical people to help like they did with the first wave
It's a time for the British spirit to shine through and reach the target of 1m a week

I think that the only way to do it is to take over sports halls, theatres, cinemas and other large venues and run them around the clock. All roles that can be filled with people who aren't currently working in health, should, but I think that we would need to be a lot further along with this than we already are to hit the ground running. Chances are much of it will be outsourced.

They could use the armed forces, the fire service, st john's ambulance, red cross etc to help out, or put the call out to retired medical people to help like they did with the first wave
It's a time for the British spirit to shine through and reach the target of 1m a week

1m a week isn't enough. At that rate it takes six months to vaccinate pensioners and we need to protect a lot more people than that.

Statement on schools in England later

More on the statement from Education Secretary Gavin Williamson which is expected later.

We're told he will be speaking about schools returning in January after 3.30pm in the Commons - but the exact timing depends on the Brexit debate and other business in the house today.

Will phase one include key workers?

The second question is about whether the priority list in phase one of the vaccination programme will be widened to include other groups such as key workers.

Prof Wei Shen Lim, who is chairman of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, says there are many key workers and they have received many requests from professional groups who are concerned and want the vaccine.

He says any teachers over 50 will be eligible for a vaccine in the first phase, as will those under 50 with underlying health conditions.

Phase two will take into account "a range of other professions and key workers", he says, particularly if they can’t avoid travelling to work or they can’t avoid exposure at work.

He adds that the decision about those vaccinated in phase two “has not been made yet”. He says the rate of delivering the vaccine will determine when phase two is decided.

Remember with every batch of people getting the vaccine the risk of deaths will start reducing. Front loading the elderly and most at risk will have a huge impact, even if we get 4m done in January that would be a great start.

It will take a lot of this year to get every one vaccinated. But the measure won't be by numbers of vaccinated for me. It will be infection rates and hospitalisations. If those numbers start to really come down then a combination of vaccine immunity and natural immunity will cause this.

As the next few months go we should absolutely see a steep drop in cases. And then society can be opened up.

Remember with every batch of people getting the vaccine the risk of deaths will start reducing. Front loading the elderly and most at risk will have a huge impact, even if we get 4m done in January that would be a great start.

Reducing pressure on hospitals has to be the immediate priority. You're right that even relatively small numbers of people vaccinated, in the right groups, could have a big impact here.

We test well over 1m people a week, in the last week alone there's been more than 2.5m tests.

Vaccination numbers will now go up as well as this is easier to store and transport. I did read they're recrutiing and training a lot of people to give vaccinations, I don't think you need to be a medical expert to give a jab - I'd imagine with a day or two's training you'd be OK to provide the vaccinations provided there's someone qualified who oversees the sites.

They've been manufacturing since the autumn and it is far easier to make than the other licensed vaccines. It can also be made in the UK. I doubt supply will be an issue at this stage.

As @LutonSpurs says, the issue is more likely to be availability of medical staff to give it. I have heard reports of retired doctors, nurses and dentists volunteering but not getting responses. I know that some councils are recruiting volunteers directly.

Depends on how the centres are being run, if its going to be GP lead or NHS lead.
We test well over 1m people a week, in the last week alone there's been more than 2.5m tests.

Vaccination numbers will now go up as well as this is easier to store and transport. I did read they're recrutiing and training a lot of people to give vaccinations, I don't think you need to be a medical expert to give a jab - I'd imagine with a day or two's training you'd be OK to provide the vaccinations provided there's someone qualified who oversees the sites.

St Johns Ambulance have an absolute army of volunteers who are highly trained who are being called into help out, I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about yes 2 million is a lot but you need to break that down into areas, GP surgery amounts etc. So my GP surgery has about 11k on the list so let's say 4-5k is going to be 65+

Diabetics learn quickly to inject themselves, so I was wondering whether the Oxford Vaccine would be intramuscular or intradermal or subcutaneous... I guess the only difference is the length/width of the needle and how hard you jab it in? No idea really, just wondering if anyone knew e.g. could you walk up, stab yourself and walk out... it is rocket science or super easy?

Google sent me to this August 2020 article about how best to deliver vaccines including needle-free delivery and nitrogen powered systems... quite long and boring but someone might be bored and interested, so here it is https://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/news/preparing-mass-vaccination

Back