• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Those that can stay at home do. There are also plenty of jobs that are essential and people will need to continue doing, if healthy and with extra protective measures in place. Isolating the over 70's alone is not enough on its own and not viable over the length of time required. Unfortunately, there are no ideal solutions.

I agree.

If absolutely everyone decided to isolate you would have to grow your own food, practice your own medicine etc. I'm being extreme, but you get the point. Simply saying those who are not isolating are endangering hundreds of thousands by keeping going is not really a balanced position. I am sure everyone would like to stay home, but if everyone did, it would be more catastrophic than maintaining some kind of functioning society amongst those who are low risk.

I agree.

If absolutely everyone decided to isolate you would have to grow your own food, practice your own medicine etc. I'm being extreme, but you get the point. Simply saying those who are not isolating are endangering hundreds of thousands by keeping going is not really a balanced position. I am sure everyone would like to stay home, but if everyone did, it would be more catastrophic than maintaining some kind of functioning society amongst those who are low risk.
I don't think the advice is for everyone to self isolate but to cut out non-essential contact with people. If you're ignoring that because you're OK Jack then yes you are endangering people because of the potential strain it will put on the NHS

I'm staggered by the nonchalance or downright ignorance of some people in this country (UK). Just driven through a local high street and the local cafe's/restaurants are full of people, some of whom are clearly over 70. Do they not realise the severity of this situation? 1000's of people are going to die in this country and the government can only hope their measures will mean it spreads thinly and the NHS doesn't break. Spoke to a customer of mine this morning who is 'hoping we're at the peak' and didn't want to know when I tried to explain this is only the beginning. I had to stop short of calling him a cretin because he spends so much with us. Sorry, had to get it off my chest

I've just driven home from work (was an essential planning session & won't be a regular thing) and couldn't believe how busy it is out & about. If you'd just landed, I don't think you'd be able to tell anything's going on.

I've just driven home from work (was an essential planning session & won't be a regular thing) and couldn't believe how busy it is out & about. If you'd just landed, I don't think you'd be able to tell anything's going on.

Yeah I live near several cafes and had to go out for the school run.

Tons of people sat outside eating / drinking... talking and COUGHING loudly. These aren't chavs either, fairly well off in their 30s, 40s, 50s.

I'm staggered by the nonchalance or downright ignorance of some people in this country (UK). Just driven through a local high street and the local cafe's/restaurants are full of people, some of whom are clearly over 70. Do they not realise the severity of this situation? 1000's of people are going to die in this country and the government can only hope their measures will mean it spreads thinly and the NHS doesn't break. Spoke to a customer of mine this morning who is 'hoping we're at the peak' and didn't want to know when I tried to explain this is only the beginning. I had to stop short of calling him a cretin because he spends so much with us. Sorry, had to get it off my chest

Said this to the better half when got in from work. Loads of cafes and coffee shops packed in North London .
Was very quiet in the city and kings X today tho.

Think If people don’t take it seriously the government will have to impose a lock down.

This annoyed me just to read it.

Keep overhearing conversations in the street along the lines of "well, they're not going to force me to stay in".
Nobodies forcing you in you freaks...it's for everyone's health. Unfortunately a lot of people are just very stupid.

In some ways it’s a shame the virus doesn’t have a higher and less discriminatory mortality rate - would help to weed out some of the more selfish / stupid individuals from the gene pool.

In some ways it’s a shame the virus doesn’t have a higher and less discriminatory mortality rate - would help to weed out some of the more selfish / stupid individuals from the gene pool.
Probably better for the economy doing what it is and taking out the weak.

For most businesses and employees there just isn't a choice.

It's not an option to stay home unpaid and it's not an option to just shut the doors and not work. Far more people will be in a worse state if that happens.

The 20/21 season will not kick off, at least not with fans in the stadiums

That’s as much of a guess as everything else here. It’s not out of the question - but neither is the discovery that an existing drug treats this well and aids recovery rates.

Truth is it’s all speculation - but then, that’s what this forum is built on, and why we all spend far too long on here.

I don't think the advice is for everyone to self isolate but to cut out non-essential contact with people. If you're ignoring that because you're OK Jack then yes you are endangering people because of the potential strain it will put on the NHS

Shades of grey. What is nonessential? Is keeping your pub business from going to wall essential or endangering, or both?

Walking home through Stoke Newington there were plenty of pubs and cafes open. Was surprising. And a few people coughing!

If lower risk people are happy to work in the pub, and there is demand, with people hand washing not shaking hands, not going to see their gran, can you blame these pubs for keeping going?

It’s still day 1 after the govt announcement late yesterday, so things may change next week. What is interesting is what do you say to businesses who would go bust? Close anyway?

And what do you say to businesses we need? Deliveries, food, care services...you guys don’t isolate while the rest of us do?

My business is involved with supporting vulnerable people, so we have to keep going with some adaptations to our services to do more things remotely, but we have to have a core office based team. Thankfully, most staff are young, some are working from home as things stand.

Those predicting longer term lock down, I am not sure how long the government and businesses can survive paying peoples wages if they cease to have income. It’s make it up as your go along time - which includes our government albeit with some scientific sheen.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
We need to ramp up testing to harvest better data of spread and numbers of those infected. We're flying blind without it. 50,000 tests have been carried out with about 4% positive results.

I'd hazard a guess 100k + have got it (had it), if its as contagious as a cold/flu (as it appears to be) it would have little problem multiplying rapidly, especially as it had a period where we were taking zero measures, just as in flu/cold season (as i appreciate it is now) the 6.34 to Waterloo is loaded with people sniffling, coughing and sneezing. Its plain hard to avoid.

I'm not sure if the two tests are the same (or can be performed at the same time) but testing to see if people have had it, ie recovered and have antibodies/immunity from it could be vital (if we risk the assumption) that if they are now immune 1.they can return to work 2.Be a foot soldier that can help the older community.

If immunity is not gained from having the virus, well we may as well move straight to the end stage and flush the whole country thru it :(

It is discriminatory in the sense that if you are reckless enough to continually ignore the peril you will almost certainly catch it.

Conversely, one in five is modelled to never get this thing - even in the full unchecked scenario. Keep your distance, clean your hands and leave your orifices alone.

Life has changed for a while, let’s embrace it.

It is discriminatory in the sense that if you are reckless enough to continually ignore the peril you will almost certainly catch it.

Conversely, one in five is modelled to never get this thing - even in the full unchecked scenario. Keep your distance, clean your hands and leave your orifices alone.

This. This. THIS!

For most businesses and employees there just isn't a choice.

It's not an option to stay home unpaid and it's not an option to just shut the doors and not work. Far more people will be in a worse state if that happens.
The knock on is immense.

Even big companies are realising with no money coming in the front door they're a couple of months from armageddon. Put your employees on unpaid leave, just passes some of the burden onto them, a burden that will be so painful for those individuals, so many people have no reserve (probably more likely to have a load of unsecured debt).

So many industries rely on the c.hain. Stop the c.hain, break the c.hain at any point has far reaching effects.

And so many of these stories are backdropped by thegoverment saying they'll help! What big businesses, sme's , sick pay, childcare? etc ....its just too massive an ask to bankroll all that

Shades of grey. What is nonessential? Is keeping your pub business from going to wall essential or endangering, or both?

Walking home through Stoke Newington there were plenty of pubs and cafes open. Was surprising. And a few people coughing!

If lower risk people are happy to work in the pub, and there is demand, with people hand washing not shaking hands, not going to see their gran, can you blame these pubs for keeping going?

It’s still day 1 after the govt announcement late yesterday, so things may change next week. What is interesting is what do you say to businesses who would go bust? Close anyway?

And what do you say to businesses we need? Deliveries, food, care services...you guys don’t isolate while the rest of us do?

My business is involved with supporting vulnerable people, so we have to keep going with some adaptations to our services to do more things remotely, but we have to have a core office based team. Thankfully, most staff are young, some are working from home as things stand.

Those predicting longer term lock down, I am not sure how long the government and businesses can survive paying peoples wages if they cease to have income. It’s make it up as your go along time - which includes our government albeit with some scientific sheen.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
To the bit in bold, we're not being asked to isolate (unless you or someone in your house has symptoms) thats what seems to be confusing people. Just avoiding non-essential contact for the time being. So yes, not going to the pub, not playing 5 a side, not going to play squash on a Thursday evening. All things I like to do but hey, life's going to be different and a bit brick for a while but if that means only 10s of thousands of people die and not 100s of thousands then so be it. I have a small business and there's been a massive drop off since the weekend but I'm going to have to cope just like everyone else

Consumerism died in 4 weeks.

We're back to food, water, heat and shelter....................all you need fellas.

To the bit in bold, we're not being asked to isolate (unless you or someone in your house has symptoms) thats what seems to be confusing people. Just avoiding non-essential contact for the time being. So yes, not going to the pub, not playing 5 a side, not going to play squash on a Thursday evening. All things I like to do but hey, life's going to be different and a bit brick for a while but if that means only 10s of thousands of people die and not 100s of thousands then so be it. I have a small business and there's been a massive drop off since the weekend but I'm going to have to cope just like everyone else

Depends on your contingency..............will you be saying the same in 90 days?

Back