• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

So basically, everyone agrees that the government were slow to react. Hindsight allows us to see what should have been done. Those that support the conservatives are trying to paint a more pleasant picture of the government's performance. Had Corbyn done exactly the same thing that this government have, would those same posters be so forgiving?

So basically, everyone agrees that the government were slow to react. Hindsight allows us to see what should have been done. Those that support the conservatives are trying to paint a more pleasant picture of the government's performance. Had Corbyn done exactly the same thing that this government have, would those same posters be so forgiving?

Well hindsight allows us to paint a less pretty picture of him as even in Conservative turmoil he couldn’t get his party into power, he is the reason I stopped voting Labour after a lifetime.

How would you feel about seeing a patient with Covid-19 without appropriate protection? Particularly if you are having to do an aerosol-generating procedure?
That's a rhetorical question that I'm not sure I asked for?

I was just picking up on the logic of that tweet. If there is a shortage, then logically they'll be rationing? To make sure all vital key workers get something.

It was written as though rationing was a problem?

The first priority for this government was to make sure Cheltenham was not cancelled.:cool:
Bunch of buffoons to a large extent. Corbyn would have done dreadfully and acted no better.
They are doing their collective best but they are out of their depth IMHO.

That's a rhetorical question that I'm not sure I asked for?

I was just picking up on the logic of that tweet. If there is a shortage, then logically they'll be rationing? To make sure all vital key workers get something.

It was written as though rationing was a problem?

Rationing is a major problem.

We're being asked to see patients with inadequate protection, even by the government's own guidelines. The government's own guidelines have clearly been based on cost and availability as well, even though they're pretending its based on evidence, as they've downgraded it as and when they're struggling with supplies.

I'm not talking about rationing of food here and having one meal a day rather than 3. I'm talking about people being told to hold their breaths while going into covid wards, some having to source their own supplies, some nurses using bin bags and some using the simple surgical masks etc.

People are also being threatened by their trusts if they speak out and point out that they're being asked to see patients in an unsafe manner. But the NHS has been gagging and striking off their staff who poke their head above the parapet for a while now so there isn't too much new there.

So you think we've been doing a good job so far then?

Of course we could have done better but we could also have done a lot worse, it depends on what social media output folks read. I have said already its a MAJOR problem and there is no easy/right way to approach it ( lots of countries are struggling not just us). It just seems to me that a lot of criticism of the goverment is being biased according to what kind of political bent they are on ( just to be clear i am not accusing you of doing this).

Its a horror story and there is no simple solution to it ( unless you are some kind of expert on a football forum :rolleyes: apparently).

Of course we could have done better but we could also have done a lot worse, it depends on what social media output folks read. I have said already its a MAJOR problem and there is no easy/right way to approach it ( lots of countries are struggling not just us). It just seems to me that a lot of criticism of the goverment is being biased according to what kind of political bent they are on ( just to be clear i am not accusing you of doing this).

Its a horror story and there is no simple solution to it ( unless you are some kind of expert on a football forum :rolleyes: apparently).

And from what I’ve read are still likely to see a massive spike.

I think it’s shown up certain members of the cabinet that will be out of a job after this is over

Pritchard Patel/JRM have completely vanished in all this - I would be shocked if they survive - among others.

I think it’s shown up certain members of the cabinet that will be out of a job after this is over

Pritchard Patel/JRM have completely vanished in all this - I would be shocked if they survive - among others.

I would not disagree with that at all, as far as i am concerned i lost all faith in all MP's after all the arse dragging and self serving they were doing during the Brexit debates last year.

Corbyn couldn't have done it - the country would already have been on its arse.

You can't furlough staff at 80% if they're already on a three day week.

There certainly is a lot of backseat driving going on.

The problem is that I've seen a lot of people fall back on this defence. Other countries are struggling and we could have done a lot worse. Yes, other countries are also struggling, that is without question. As for them doing worse, how? How many countries can you list which have done a clearly worse job than us? We likely haven't even hit our peak yet and we're already hitting Spain/Italy numbers in terms of daily deaths. I can list a few who have arguably done worse(or you could say that we're roughly equivalent in how poor a job we've done). There currently aren't many though.

I don't think anybody of any note or consequence has said there are simple solutions to this at all.

It also goes without saying of course that not all opinions are made equal, on here, on social media or in real life. Some are far more informed than others. You can't just dismiss criticism in a blanket way, as if everyone speaking on it has equivalent levels of knowledge.

I agree of course that some people are just lashing out in a partisan way. I am seeing just as much blind partisan defence though.

Last edited:
There certainly is a lot of backseat driving going on.

The problem is that I've seen a lot of people fall back on this defence. Other countries are struggling and we could have done a lot worse. Yes, other countries are also struggling, that is without question. As for us doing worse, how? How many countries can you list which have done a clearly worse job than us? We likely haven't even hit our peak yet and we're already hitting Spain/Italy numbers in terms of daily deaths. I can list a few who have arguably done worse(or you could say that we're roughly equivalent in how poor a job we've done). There currently aren't many though.

I don't think anybody of any note or consequence has said there are simple solutions to this at all.

It also goes without saying of course that not all opinions are made equal, on here, on social media or in real life. Some are far more informed than others. You can't just dismiss criticism in a blanket way, as if everyone speaking on it has equivalent levels of knowledge.

I agree of course that some people are just lashing out in a partisan way. I am seeing just as much blind partisan defence though.

When people were saying that what happened in Italy could happen here... I was saying even in this thread that London was not Milan and it could/would be a lot worse.

The government partially implementing the herd immunity strategy in the beginning has lead to where we are now. They were either incompetent or complicit in a lot of people dieing

Rationing is a major problem.

We're being asked to see patients with inadequate protection, even by the government's own guidelines. The government's own guidelines have clearly been based on cost and availability as well, even though they're pretending its based on evidence, as they've downgraded it as and when they're struggling with supplies.
Rationing is a necessity (not a problem) when supplies are short. (That's what I was saying).

I wholeheartedly agree that the lack of supplies is bordering on disgraceful.(and IS the problem) As I posted a couple of days ago, PPE and testing is the frontline tools (the only ones) to limit infection and understand this virus so we can start to out manoeuvre it down the road. Wartime type attention should be paid to those two things. PPE tech can't be that high, there must be a wealth of factories that can be turned to producing it. We can't rely on finished product to purchase..we can try that route BUT we must be capable of being the manufacturer itself?.

And yes, the government have soundbited things on both PPE and testing in the early weeks but appear to be finding it difficult to fulfil those promises/predictions/targets.

The 'herculean' distribution mantra is gonads. Logistics for that can be tapped from many a company. The roads are empty and the trains available. There must be fleets of lorries,vans, doing nothing. (Even the fuels dirt cheap:))

I will add to that. Maybe only America has done worse than us so far in this crisis... and maybe Belarus when the sh it hits the fan there.

Back