• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

i still favour the wonky...i always will

It works as it offers defensive protection and ample attacking options, my issue would be that it requires such high level of fitness that Poch really should rotate players so as not to diminish our fitness levels. The next two weeks will give me an idea of what type of coach Poch is. I hope he is better then Redknapp was in this regard.

i still favour the wonky...i always will
Do you put the system above the players Affy? Would you always look to sign players to fit a wonky? I think that it is a formation with its merits and we have certainly played some lovely stuff using it in the past but it does not look like the best fit for our current squad to me.

It works as it offers defensive protection and ample attacking options, my issue would be that it requires such high level of fitness that Poch really should rotate players so as not to diminish our fitness levels. The next two weeks will give me an idea of what type of coach Poch is. I hope he is better then Redknapp was in this regard.

It's difficult for Poch in this regard. After taking some months to get a modicum of stability, he can't undermine that completely by rotating too much. He has to walk a tightrope between switching up some of the front players and building a settled team. If Poch can keep the back 4 stable (and rotate Rose and Davies who are both playing well and settling), and rotate just 2 or max 3 of the rest of the team then we'll do well.

Ultimately he will be judged on result.

Lamela was on the right cutting in. In fact, ironically, each were doing what they've been doing all season.

I think a lot his recent upturn in form is down to him digging in, training harder, working harder and WANTING to be 'the man' as opposed to just strolling in and out of games, Harry Kane's excellent movement (the boy is a threat, a handful and thus now brings people with him wherever he decides to go) and Bentaleb behind him instead of that waster Capoue.

As for central, long-term, he will flourish in the middle but a little deeper and not as part of a front 3 IMO...there he will be able to not only run games but get on the end of things at will...I still think for now he's better off the wide as he learns more and more, but we also have t bear in mind, our front three really don't play 'wide' per se as it's based on inversion and central movement.

Either way, it is great to see the young man putting in the desire and effort to develop into what he can be. And I agree with Raziel, we all (me as much as anyone) have to remember how young he is.

Absolutely NOT. The reason we were so effective yesterday (in the first half especially )is that both Lamela and Chadli started wide and gave us the width we have been so desperately missing. The first goal came from good old fashioned wing play and a cross from the byline (Scara please note) and lamela set up a sitter for Kane by getting to the byline and which Eriksen ended up blasting over. By their starting positions out wide it gave more room for Eriksen to spread the play and Mason to make darting runs into the box as well as giving Kane numerous opportunities. This is a pointer to the way forward imo.

Absolutely NOT. The reason we were so effective yesterday (in the first half especially )is that both Lamela and Chadli started wide and gave us the width we have been so desperately missing. The first goal came from good old fashioned wing play and a cross from the byline (Scara please note) and lamela set up a sitter for Kane by getting to the byline and which Eriksen ended up blasting over. By their starting positions out wide it gave more room for Eriksen to spread the play and Mason to make darting runs into the box as well as giving Kane numerous opportunities. This is a pointer to the way forward imo.
Yesterday we saw a well executed 4-2-3-1 which is the result of the players getting used to each other and growing in confidence.

The first goal came from a quickly taken free kick and smart thinking from Eriksen, Chadli and Kane. It was smart of Chadli to cross with his left and definitely the right decision. I do not remember Scars saying that our midfielders should never cross just that it should not be our primary method of attack. The second goal came from Lamela coming inside and shooting.

I don't really understand how this is a vindication of your calls for a 4-4-2 at all costs with wingers always played on their natural side earlier in the season.

Spot on. The midfield looked nowhere near as congested as it has in recent games and this was a big part of that.

LAmela was 100% told to hold the touch line far more yesterday and as a result he was able to get in far better positions as a result. With Mason moving the ball quickly out to him and walker overlapping we looked better balanced. Erisken got more space and he played well as a 10 when quite often he goes missing a bit. I think this had something to do with it.

Long term I still think Id like to see kane at 10 with a handful as our number 9 and ericken coming off the left.

Yesterday we saw a well executed 4-2-3-1 which is the result of the players getting used to each other and growing in confidence.

The first goal came from a quickly taken free kick and smart thinking from Eriksen, Chadli and Kane. It was smart of Chadli to cross with his left and definitely the right decision. I do not remember Scars saying that our midfielders should never cross just that it should not be our primary method of attack. The second goal came from Lamela coming inside and shooting.

I don't really understand how this is a vindication of your calls for a 4-4-2 at all costs with wingers always played on their natural side earlier in the season.

You seem to be fixated on my request for 442 . This formation is primarily for the lesser teams at home. My overriding reason for this is to give us WIDTH. We were well on our way to achieving this with the way the team were set up yesterday. Eriksen central and two wide receivers.
As Cochise and LCLC also noticed, there was a significant difference in how Chadli and Lamela positioned themselves to receive balls. I am surprised you didn't notice it.

Agreed. We're definitely seeing improvements and the players are settling in a a bit more.

Agreed. We're definitely seeing improvements and the players are settling in a a bit more.

Maybe it wasnt apparent unless you were actually observing the match in real time from the stands. But there was definitely a substantive change from the setup previously deployed.

Anyhow, what we can agree on is that it seems to be moving in the right direction.

You seem to be fixated on my request for 442 . This formation is primarily for the lesser teams at home. My overriding reason for this is to give us WIDTH. We were well on our way to achieving this with the way the team were set up yesterday. Eriksen central and two wide receivers.
As Cochise and LCLC also noticed, there was a significant difference in how Chadli and Lamela positioned themselves to receive balls. I am surprised you didn't notice it.

Spot on ref the width, very noticable that they weren't either running into each other or play pin ball by passing and receiving within 2 yards of each other.

Spot on ref the width, very noticable that they weren't either running into each other or play pin ball by passing and receiving within 2 yards of each other.

And it made a huge difference

But was shut because they let us play that game too? I mean we played the tactics and system we wanted too really well but Burnley didn't press us at all and let us have the ball. Better teams or more ambitious teams don't do that which is why we need multiple systems to suit the teams were playing.

I've been massively critical of Lamella but yesterday was by far and away his best game. He was however give the freedom by their left back to do whatever he wanted for a lot of the game. Better left backs won't do that.

Likewise we were up against a very basic 4-4-2 with their wide players being pretty woeful. They worked reasonably hard but offered very little and again IMO let us play our game.

Will we maintain the width needed against better sides? That's the key and if we can make this formation and tactics work against the Chelsea's and Uniteds then hallelujah.... But I'm not convinced yet

Does anybody else think that Ericksen has started to play a little like Modric in the last few games?.... Work rate, demanding the ball in tight spaces and retaining it, often beating a player with a dribble before laying it off, etc... He is starting to look the player that his talent warrants.

Christian Eriksen can be indirectly attributed with the assist for Harry Kane’s opener in Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Burnley on Saturday. Michael Keane had just been penalised for a contentious handball and Kane, who wanted to instantly re-start play, took a quick free kick. He spotted Eriksen who, unbeknownst to Kane, was stood in an offside position. However, the Dane remained static and left the ball alone, thus not interfering with play.

Nacer Chadli was the quickest to react and the rest, as they say, is history. Erik Lamela may have won the plaudits on account of his sumptuous curling effort to win Spurs the game, but it was yet another impressive showing from Eriksen, who was unlucky not to directly contribute to a Spurs goal. The 22-year-old played 8 key passes in the victory over Burnley; no player has played more in a single Premier League match this season.

Among the 7 players signed prior to Gareth Bale’s record-breaking move to Real Madrid two summers ago, Eriksen has been the very best of what conspired to be a bad bunch. Chadli and Lamela have shown glimpses of their quality having finally settled in north London, but neither have performed to the standard of the former Ajax star. Of all Spurs players, Eriksen’s WhoScored rating (7.30) is the best in England’s top tier this campaign.

Eriksen has firmly established himself as a key member in the starting XI at White Hart Lane. This season, the Denmark international has directly contributed to 7 of their 22 league goals, while his 6 goals from 17 league appearances is just 1 fewer than his 7 from the whole of last term. Against an out-of-sorts Leicester side on Boxing Day, one would not bet against the attacker reaching last season's goal return when Spurs travel to the King Power Stadium on Friday.

While Eriksen has registered just 1 assist this term - that coming against Swansea - it’s not without trying. He has played more key passes (42) than any other Spurs player this season, with Lamela (28) closest to matching that. It’s surely only a matter of time before his assist return rises.

There was the concern that Eriksen would perhaps fall by the wayside under new manager Mauricio Pochettino. While he was handed something of a free role under Tim Sherwood, Pochettino’s attention to detail and high pressing game meant Eriksen needed to do more off the ball rather than rely on his teammates to win possession back from the opposition. Pochettino has proven he has no time for players who are not willing to pull their weight for the good of the team.

Take for example Gastón Ramírez. The Uruguayan joined Southampton for £12m in August 2012 when Nigel Adkins was in charge, but saw his playing time limited under Pochettino. Much of this was due to his reluctance to buy into Pochettino’s high pressing game and it was little surprise to see Ramírez make only 5 league starts for Saints last season. Any qualms over whether Eriksen would suit his Argentine manager’s game plan, however, have been quickly dismissed.

On Saturday, in particular, whenever Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton was on the ball, Eriksen was often the first to close him down. Eriksen is clearly adhering to his manager’s demands - he has won possession more times in the attacking third than any other Spurs player has this campaign (11).

With the opposition defence caught out of position, this helps Eriksen when it comes to creating chances, though there is an argument to be made that there is room for improvement in this side of his game. While Eriksen is Spurs' creator in chief, on a number of occasions this season the goalscoring opportunities forged could have been of a higher standard. For example, in the second half of the win over Burnley, Spurs were counter-attacking through Eriksen on the left. He crossed for Kane, but overhit his pass where a better player would have found the striker. Nevertheless, at such a young age, this is one aspect of his game that will develop with time.

However, it is his goalscoring exploits that have really caught the eye this term. With Pochettino’s system implemented, fitness levels have increased, as Eriksen explained after the 2-1 win over Swansea earlier this month, where he provided the assist for Kane’s opener and then bagged a late winner.

The timing of Spurs’ goals this season have been a testament to their improved fitness levels - 5 of their 22 league goals have been scored from the 84th minute onwards, 2 of which have been scored by Eriksen. Without Eriksen's creative and goalscoring exploits this season, Spurs would have 10 fewer points and sit 2 points above the relegation zone rather than 4 points off 4th.

Clearly, Pochettino has challenged Eriksen to chance his luck in front of goal more frequently, emphasised in that he is averaging more shots per game in the Premier League this season (2.9) than last (1.9). Managerial instability hindered his initial impact last term, but under his new boss, Eriksen is fulfilling his potential at White Hart Lane.

If Spurs do achieve their aim and secure a top 4 place this season, chances are Eriksen will have played a key role. The north London side harbour Champions League aspirations and the Dane's performances this campaign suggests this is a competition he has earned the right to be playing in.

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/p...an-Eriksen-Fulfilling-his-Potential-for-Spurs

Hmm think we really need to rotate the players am not sure our players are fit enough to go again in 2 days time against a quality team.

Eriksen is absolutely quality.

Back