• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I am worried that we will know what we are missing only when he has left. I don't think he has no weaknesses - I would love for him to have the strength and grit of someone like Rose alongside his passing ability. But he is the only player in last year's squad who was truly capable of playing through bus-parking teams (of which we are going to encounter many again this year), and I do not see an obvious replacement. So if he goes, we lose flexibility and options at the very least. And quality.

I'd like him to stay and commit to the club long term. He is a very good player and has been key to our improvement under Poch. As @nayimfromthehalfwayline has been saying, we have signed players this summer who allow us to play a slightly different way and become less reliant on Eriksen, that is a good thing. As for playing through bus parking teams, NDombele showed with his first touch in the shirt that he has a very good pass on him and it is a little more direct than Eriksen normally delivers. Lo Celso too looks to have a good mix of running with the ball and passing. Let's see how the players settle down and how Poch plans to use them but I think that it looks good.

I think that it is the other way around. When we play well, he plays well. He relies on the other players making moves for him to pick out, if we are flat, he is unable to impose himself on the game and turn things around.

I do agree he fails to often to impose himself, and that there is certainly something for that reverse angle.

BUT...

When do we ever play well while he is playing badly? I cant help but believe we are deeply reliant on his performances. If he isnt on song we just dont get going as a team.

And now Moura has signed a new deal.

The money really cant be an issue in this Eriksen situation, its something else. Which, IMO, just doesnt go away if he doesnt have options to leave.

When do we ever play well while he is playing badly? I cant help but believe we are deeply reliant on his performances. If he isnt on song we just dont get going as a team.

That is the crux of it for me and why i really believe we have had a very good window with our two new additions to the C/M. He now will have competition for places and we now will be able to give him the rest time he needs ( something we have not been able to do before).

That is the crux of it for me and why i really believe we have had a very good window with our two new additions to the C/M. He now will have competition for places and we now will be able to give him the rest time he needs ( something we have not been able to do before).

In theory, yes. In practice I doubt itll happen that way.

I am worried that we will know what we are missing only when he has left. I don't think he has no weaknesses - I would love for him to have the strength and grit of someone like Rose alongside his passing ability. But he is the only player in last year's squad who was truly capable of playing through bus-parking teams (of which we are going to encounter many again this year), and I do not see an obvious replacement. So if he goes, we lose flexibility and options at the very least. And quality.
It will take some adjustment when he leaves, but eventually we'll cope with that too.
The graveyard is full of irreplaceable people.
But I hope, and expect him to stay for at least this season, and that will give us time to build the team.

So i assume if he was to sign a new contract it would be after all the other leagues windows have shut?

It will be great if we can keep Eriksen. But if we do sell him, hope we will sell him to non-English clubs. It will be stupid if we sell him to our direct rivals like ManU or Emirates Marketing Project.

He does know how to put it on a plate! And watching that, his assist tally really should have been much higher! Lots of absolute sitters being missed!

This really Highlights how bad our finishing has been...…………………………….We must keep Christian...……….in my humble opinion..lol

All this stuff about it being a weakness that we relied on Eriksen so much... I don’t understand why people think the logical solution has to include removing him from the team, rather than just adding to the team. It would be like having just one natural goalscorer in the team, and saying we don’t score goals when he doesn’t play well so we need to get rid of him and find another way to play. Why not play more natural goalscorers alongside him, so we’re not so reliant on him? (Like we do with Kane, Son and Alli?) And likewise with Eriksen, why not aim to play another player alongside him who can also bring what he brings to the table? Why do people think playing him means our style and performance is automatically totally dependent on him, in a way that isn’t true if we play other players and a different style?

It will be great if we can keep Eriksen. But if we do sell him, hope we will sell him to non-English clubs. It will be stupid if we sell him to our direct rivals like ManU or Emirates Marketing Project.
Neither of those clubs are our rivals but for very different reasons.

If he starts am hoping the crowd will be behind him 400% today

I think he will start and he will score a cracker

Will all depend on him, IMO.

If he starts looking like he can't be bothered it won't be pretty.

If he looks up for it and is trying to make things happen I think it'll be ok.

All this stuff about it being a weakness that we relied on Eriksen so much... I don’t understand why people think the logical solution has to include removing him from the team, rather than just adding to the team. It would be like having just one natural goalscorer in the team, and saying we don’t score goals when he doesn’t play well so we need to get rid of him and find another way to play. Why not play more natural goalscorers alongside him, so we’re not so reliant on him? (Like we do with Kane, Son and Alli?) And likewise with Eriksen, why not aim to play another player alongside him who can also bring what he brings to the table? Why do people think playing him means our style and performance is automatically totally dependent on him, in a way that isn’t true if we play other players and a different style?

It's about balance, for me at least.

My thinking is a change of style is how we will accomplish this, at which point I'm unsure how/where Eriksen fits into the new shape.

As above, if he stays, would seem to me he is set for a lot of rotation and being out the team

All this stuff about it being a weakness that we relied on Eriksen so much... I don’t understand why people think the logical solution has to include removing him from the team, rather than just adding to the team.
Don't think anyone's been saying we need to get rid of Eriksen because we rely on him too much. More that now he's lifted his skirt to other clubs they believe he's no longer committed. Which for me reveals they don't really get what Eriksen is all about. Anyone who has watched him critically over the years will know that if he ends up staying he will continue to give his all. Unquestioningly.

However commitment and dedication still does not guarantee form. No doubt he'll continue to have spells like every player when he is not at his best. His problem now though is every poor game he has will mean even more criticism from a certain contingent. And no doubt the media will feed off this like the piranhas they are, none of which will help.

The potential flipside if he does end up staying is he now has more competition for his place, and that could turn out to be the spur to help him up his game. Either way it makes sense for us as Tottenham fans to get behind him and put aside all the transfer window ballyhoo.

Sadly though for some he's now burnt his bridges and that's that.

Will all depend on him, IMO.

If he starts looking like he can't be bothered it won't be pretty.

If he looks up for it and is trying to make things happen I think it'll be ok.

It's about balance, for me at least.

My thinking is a change of style is how we will accomplish this, at which point I'm unsure how/where Eriksen fits into the new shape.

As above, if he stays, would seem to me he is set for a lot of rotation and being out the team

What is it about Eriksen that makes you think he can’t fit into a balanced side that isn’t too reliant on him? Or is it just that while you think that would be possible in general, it’s unlikely here and now because of the specific purchases we’ve made and/or his desire to leave?

Back