• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Don't think anyone's been saying we need to get rid of Eriksen because we rely on him too much. More that now he's lifted his skirt to other clubs they believe he's no longer committed. Which for me reveals they don't really get what Eriksen is all about. Anyone who has watched him critically over the years will know that if he ends up staying he will continue to give his all. Unquestioningly.

However commitment and dedication still does not guarantee form. No doubt he'll continue to have spells like every player when he is not at his best. His problem now though is every poor game he has will mean even more criticism from a certain contingent. And no doubt the media will feed off this like the piranhas they are, none of which will help.

The potential flipside if he does end up staying is he now has more competition for his place, and that could turn out to be the spur to help him up his game. Either way it makes sense for us as Tottenham fans to get behind him and put aside all the transfer window ballyhoo.

Sadly though for some he's now burnt his bridges and that's that.

I think a lot of people do seem to think we’re too reliant on him, and that this will be solved by him going and us having brought players of a different style in? Unless I’ve misunderstood.

All this stuff about it being a weakness that we relied on Eriksen so much... I don’t understand why people think the logical solution has to include removing him from the team, rather than just adding to the team. It would be like having just one natural goalscorer in the team, and saying we don’t score goals when he doesn’t play well so we need to get rid of him and find another way to play. Why not play more natural goalscorers alongside him, so we’re not so reliant on him? (Like we do with Kane, Son and Alli?) And likewise with Eriksen, why not aim to play another player alongside him who can also bring what he brings to the table? Why do people think playing him means our style and performance is automatically totally dependent on him, in a way that isn’t true if we play other players and a different style?

I think he has missed Wanyama behind him, hopefully ndom sorts that.he can also pick a pass.
If we can get Lo Celso in the team with him to share the running and create then it takes some of the emphasis off him.
Still think he will leave before next season so we need to adapt.

What is it about Eriksen that makes you think he can’t fit into a balanced side that isn’t too reliant on him? Or is it just that while you think that would be possible in general, it’s unlikely here and now because of the specific purchases we’ve made and/or his desire to leave?

I certainly think it's highly unlikely now given the circumstance.

But I also think with Winks, NDombele, LoCelso, Alli, Lamela (sometimes!) AND Eriksen that it will be impossible to get them all into a we'll set up team.

Which means players sitting out.

With NDombele and LoCelso massive buys, o assume them to start most often. Then it becomes a bit of a job to get the others in the side.

Without Eriksen things seem much more balanced to my mind, to the degree I'm pretty sure we've already set up the squad to be without him

But I also think with Winks, NDombele, LoCelso, Alli, Lamela (sometimes!) AND Eriksen that it will be impossible to get them all into a we'll set up team.

With NDombele and LoCelso massive buys, o assume them to start most often. Then it becomes a bit of a job to get the others in the side.

Without Eriksen things seem much more balanced to my mind, to the degree I'm pretty sure we've already set up the squad to be without him

Massive buys yes, but not necessarily massive players yet

Eriksen is world class. His stats show that despite people’s opinions and the only creative players who get near him in the league play for city (De Bruyne and the Silvas).
If Eriksen is fit and willing, you play him

Eriksen is world class. His stats show that despite people’s opinions and the only creative players who get near him in the league play for city (De Bruyne and the Silvas).

How? Where? With who? How do we get the best of LoCelso at the same time? And Alli?

It's a bloody Rubik's job.

If Eriksen stays it would only work best for all of he isn't a "if fit, you play him" player.

We would need regular rotation for all players to make sure we always put out a balanced side and everyone gets games.

Which itself is not Pochs way and could leave us really unsettled...

I think you're right. Poch wouldn't be as desperate for Lo Celso if he didn't expect eriksen to move on, in my opinion. I'd love for us to sign a new contract with Eriksen, but I don't reckon it's likely at this point. I do think he'll play today though.

I think a lot of people do seem to think we’re too reliant on him, and that this will be solved by him going and us having bought players of a different style in? Unless I’ve misunderstood.
Impression I've had in the past is that fans who've said we're too reliant on him have wanted us to buy a similar type to relieve the burden on him rather than that we need to get rid.

Just my opinion of course.

Controversial, if not heretical, I know but I don't think he is world class. Very good yes, world class no.
Its the way i think its @parklane1 says about Hugo, he's up there but not quite.

Controversial, if not heretical, I know but I don't think he is world class. Very good yes, world class no.
Its the way i think its @parklane1 says about Hugo, he's up there but not quite.

I agree. If he was genuinely world class, teams would've been queuing up to buy him this summer. He's in that tier just below.

I think a lot of people do seem to think we’re too reliant on him, and that this will be solved by him going and us having bought players of a different style in? Unless I’ve misunderstood.

I agree that we are too reliant on him, that's not his fault though.

It's a bad idea for a team to be reliant on any one player, a lack of form or transfer of player leaves them with massive problems. I'd would be happy if he stayed, I still think as a team we'll shift away from him as the epicentre of our attacking play though. It's better for the team and for him.

The different type of player is just modern football. It's tough to carry (not in the bad sense) any player (especially in the modern midfield) just because they do certain things very well unless it's a godlike Messi level. 4 players that can rotate are long term better than 1 player who's irreplaceable. Ideally we'd keep him plus the additions and be stocked with numerous options.

If you look at someone like De Bruyne who's probably his closest comparison, he can play anywhere in midfield cause alongside the creative he does the defensive very well. Eriksen is almost a footballer from another era, one we're lucky to have but you won't see for much longer.

His stats are world class in the best/toughest league.

Doing it once is possibly a fluke... do it every season even a poor one and IMO your up their with the best best

Back