• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

The truth is Levy dropped the ball here. Kane and Dele always seem to have at least 3 years left on their contracts and then they are renewed. Levy failed to do that 2 years ago so should have sorted it out last season. Maybe Eriksen asked for too much money and it was not Levy's fault. Perhaps it is unfair to say that Levy dropped the ball. But once Eriksen has a year left then all of a sudden Levy no longer holds all the cards. Six months ago there was talk of Eriksen going for £100m+. If he were to go for that now I would accept that Levy is the master negotiator and I should never have doubted him

Absolutely untrue. Levy did NOT drop the ball. He tried to engage Eriksen and his agent on several occasions. The player chose to wait and see, hoping his dream move A would happen. What you also have to consider is where we were two years ago versus now. It is a different ball-game. Potential was the word then, next level big club is the term now. Everything is in place. For the first time since he arrived. it is clear to all parties that whilst we would absolutely like him to sign again, this club is ascendant with or without him (providing Levy does his bit this summer of course)...

Absolutely untrue. Levy did NOT drop the ball. He tried to engage Eriksen and his agent on several occasions. The player chose to wait and see, hoping his dream move A would happen. What you also have to consider is where we were two years ago versus now. It is a different ball-game. Potential was the word then, next level big club is the term now. Everything is in place. For the first time since he arrived. it is clear to all parties that whilst we would absolutely like him to sign again, this club is ascendant with or without him (providing Levy does his bit this summer of course)...
Very unlike Levy to allow a player with a high market value to run into the last year of their contract. It must have been a footballing decision to not force him into a move last summer, ie his worth on the pitch was more than the financial loss, possibly a way of supporting Poch without being able to provide transfer funds.

Very unlike Levy to allow a player with a high market value to run into the last year of their contract. It must have been a footballing decision to not force him into a move last summer, ie his worth on the pitch was more than the financial loss, possibly a way of supporting Poch without being able to provide transfer funds.

As I said in my post, maybe I am wrong and Levy did not drop the ball. But what is beyond dispute is the fact that by ot securing Eriksen on a new deal means that with 12 months left on his contract he is holding the aces. Come August and he has not signed a new deal Levy has to lower his asking price or Eriksen just honours his contract. I net even if he was thrown in the stiffs he would still be picked for his country because he is the main man. The one thing Levy will not want to allow happen is for him to go for nothing

As I said in my post, maybe I am wrong and Levy did not drop the ball. But what is beyond dispute is the fact that by ot securing Eriksen on a new deal means that with 12 months left on his contract he is holding the aces. Come August and he has not signed a new deal Levy has to lower his asking price or Eriksen just honours his contract. I net even if he was thrown in the stiffs he would still be picked for his country because he is the main man. The one thing Levy will not want to allow happen is for him to go for nothing
No first team football for a whole year at this point in his career could ruin him. I'd say the club still holds a fairly strong hand when it comes to new contract negotiations.

If you play well during the whole period of your contract....you always hold all the aces. And certainly can't be forced to sign a new deal, so Levy has to roll with it.

No I meant it as reinforcing the belief thAt Levy would never drop the ball on this, so it was a decision made accepting the financial risk. Very unLevy so I’m inferring a deference to Poch as it may have been the biggest supportive gesture he could make whilst the ground was unfinished.

Part of me thinks Levy would banish him to the reserves if he doesn’t sign a new deal, we may even see it in the pre season tour with the view to forcing the issue before this window as opposed to January.

I really hope a decision is made to sign or sell though, a seasons worth of speculation will be really distracting and as a few have suggested Eriksen plays better when his contract situation is clear.

No first team football for a whole year at this point in his career could ruin him. I'd say the club still holds a fairly strong hand when it comes to new contract negotiations.
Will it ruin it, though? It's not like he's Wanyama, for example, who would depend on getting game time to show he still has it, or Janssen who needs game time to showcase his talent. He's a known quantity at this point in his career, he's not injured and, even if he didn't feature for a whole year, prospective suitors would know exactly what they would be getting with him.

He still holds most, if not all of the cards.

Will it ruin it, though? It's not like he's Wanyama, for example, who would depend on getting game time to show he still has it, or Janssen who needs game time to showcase his talent. He's a known quantity at this point in his career, he's not injured and, even if he didn't feature for a whole year, prospective suitors would know exactly what they would be getting with him.

Uno cards, of course.

Rabiot did not play almost the whole season and number of clubs still want to sign him. And unlike Rabiot, Eriksen will still be picked for his country. Next summer Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juventus and PSG etc would welcome with open arms. His career ruined? you jest.

And if nobody comes in for Toby at £25m and he refuses to sign a new contract will you dump him in the reserves?

And what if Jan refuses an extension does he go on a free next summer or do you toss him in the reserves as well? Levy needs to be careful because you can risk alienating players because although they may not want him to go he is popular in the dressing room.

So when a player wants to leave when he is under a contract you say no because he has a contract and he must honour it, but now Eriksen wants to honour his contract you wanna threaten to throw him in the reserves? Good luck with that.

I actually think Levy would blink first because the thought of losing around £50m-£80m will be something he simply cannot risk.

Rabiot did not play almost the whole season and number of clubs still want to sign him. And unlike Rabiot, Eriksen will still be picked for his country. Next summer Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juventus and PSG etc would welcome with open arms. His career ruined? you jest.

And if nobody comes in for Toby at £25m and he refuses to sign a new contract will you dump him in the reserves?

And what if Jan refuses an extension does he go on a free next summer or do you toss him in the reserves as well? Levy needs to be careful because you can risk alienating players because although they may not want him to go he is popular in the dressing room.

So when a player wants to leave when he is under a contract you say no because he has a contract and he must honour it, but now Eriksen wants to honour his contract you wanna threaten to throw him in the reserves? Good luck with that.

I actually think Levy would blink first because the thought of losing around £50m-£80m will be something he simply cannot risk.
He might get by OK, he might not. That's a massive fudging risk for him - his whole career.

We might lose a chunk of money, he might lose his ability to play at the top level. Some players never come back from a season out at anything like the level they were at. There's no guarantee either way but if he has sense it's a risk he'll want to avoid.

And yes, I absolutely would do that to any player who refuses to sign with 1 year left or accept a sale.

He might get by OK, he might not. That's a massive fudging risk for him - his whole career.

I could not disagree with you more. He is done enough in his career that he will be in serious demand on a free. He only loses if come April for instance he does his cruciate ligament and then a couple of months later he is out of contract.

And what about Jan? If he does not sign a new contract do you put him in the reserves as well?

And what about Toby, supposing he decides to go on a free next summer would you put all 3 in the reserves?

And yes, I absolutely would do that to any player who refuses to sign with 1 year left or accept a sale.

And therein lies the rub, because he would probably accept a sale, the issue would be you/Levy pricing him out of a move.

We might lose a chunk of money, he might lose his ability to play at the top level. Some players never come back from a season out at anything like the level they were at. There's no guarantee either way but if he has sense it's a risk he'll want to avoid.

No, he won't. He may take a few games longer to get back in the groove (any new player does, even if he has played all the games for his previous team), but he won't lose his ability to play at the top level. Especially in a league not as physical as the PL.

And if you do that to a player that refuses to sign with 1 year left or accept a sale, then you are alienating a whole host of players who the club might want to sign in the future. Who would want to sign for a club that acts that way, whether justified or not?

He's a highly rated player we have been linked with for a long time - why shouldnt we be interested?

Especially if the £45m is up front, that could fund a good bit of business this summer.

I am happy to revise my earlier opinion on Celaballos, maybe he is a better player than I gave him credit for, and maybe along with Ndombele he may actually be a very good signing

I am happy to revise my earlier opinion on Celaballos, maybe he is a better player than I gave him credit for, and maybe along with Ndombele he may actually be a very good signing
He's quite highly rated and that says a lot.

(random cliche that can be applied in a million different situations)

Back