• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

He won a league with Real. Ozil's one of the best players in the league. Sadly.

Paul Merson said he was one of the top 5 players in world football. I could name at least 3 better Germans than him.

He's achieved more than Eriksen as it stands but that doesn't mean he will have a better career when it's all said and done. If Ozil really was that good surely Madrid wouldn't have sold him. And he would have made an impact in big games for Germany too, which he hasn't done.

Last edited:
Paul Merson said he was one of the top 5 players in world football. I could name at least 3 better Germans than him.

He's achieved more than Eriksen as it stands but that doesn't mean he will have a better career when it's all said and done. If Ozil really was that good surely Madrid wouldn't have sold him. And he would have made an impact in big games for Germany too, which he hasn't done.

If Merson said that he's either ignorant, biased or both.

Eriksen is 21 now, it was at 21 Ozil had his breakthrough on the international stage at the 2010 World Cup before then getting his high profile move to Real Madrid. Before that he obviously had some very good seasons in the Bundesliga, but he wasn't a world renowned super star like he is now. Part of why I think directly comparing the two right now is less than useful.

I'm assuming Eriksen will start against Chelsea, will be interesting to see how he gets on against top class opposition :)

Wait, what? Using Madrid sales as a barometer of how good a player is is a terrible indicator. This is the club that has sold players like Robben, Sneijder etc in the last few years (who have then gone on to be hugely important players in winning CLs for their team). They're like a rich spoilt kid who throws away their great old toys when something new and shiny comes in.

Who are the 3 Germans better than Ozil?

Ozil is an exceptional player who'd I prefer we don't spend the season trying to compare to Eriksen to not put inordinate amounts of pressure on him. If Eriksen ends up outperforming Ozil this season, then great we've done great business. If he doesn't, not a problem, that isn't what he bought in to do. And I'll love him either way. :)

Wait, what? Using Madrid sales as a barometer of how good a player is is a terrible indicator. This is the club that has sold players like Robben, Sneijder etc in the last few years (who have then gone on to be hugely important players in winning CLs for their team). They're like a rich spoilt kid who throws away their great old toys when something new and shiny comes in.

Who are the 3 Germans better than Ozil?

Ozil is an exceptional player who'd I prefer we don't spend the season trying to compare to Eriksen to not put inordinate amounts of pressure on him. If Eriksen ends up outperforming Ozil this season, then great we've done great business. If he doesn't, not a problem, that isn't what he bought in to do. And I'll love him either way. :)

I think these player comparisons are so subjective as to be pointless really, especially if they are playing in different positions, but if I had a choice of three Germans to bring to the club Ozil might be one of them. For the other two take your pick from Reus, Lahm, Muller and Schweinsteiger. All exceptional players.

40mil bid for Reus in the Jan window would do for me.

I think these player comparisons are so subjective as to be pointless really, especially if they are playing in different positions, but if I had a choice of three Germans to bring to the club Ozil might be one of them. For the other two take your pick from Reus, Lahm, Muller and Schweinsteiger. All exceptional players.

40mil bid for Reus in the Jan window would do for me.

Would love that.. Reus is the next world class superstar waiting to happen..

Ozil is a very good player, but to put him in the top 5 in the world? .. no, he would have found it tough to be top 5 in Spanish league

imo, top 5 in Spanish League last season would have included Ronaldo, Mesi, Xavi, Iniesta, Falcao, when you start to add players from other European Leagues, he'd struggle to make a Europe Top 10.

Doesn't meant the guy isn't the real deal, just he isn't that absolute top tier.

I'll freely admit that I wasn't bowled over by the signing of Eriksen. I hadn't really seen him play for Ajax, just the national team in the Euros. And I wasn't impressed to say the least especially considering his growing reputation. The matches in the Euros for the most part passed him by so when we signed him I was meh.

The article is a ringing endorsement from his old mentors and countrymen but actions are all that count now. The article also implies we are a stepping stone on his march to greatness, but I have no problem with that if he produces the goods for the next 3 years or whatever, starting tomorrow.

I'll freely admit that I wasn't bowled over by the signing of Eriksen. I hadn't really seen him play for Ajax, just the national team in the Euros. And I wasn't impressed to say the least especially considering his growing reputation. The matches in the Euros for the most part passed him by so when we signed him I was meh.

The article is a ringing endorsement from his old mentors and countrymen but actions are all that count now. The article also implies we are a stepping stone on his march to greatness, but I have no problem with that if he produces the goods for the next 3 years or whatever, starting tomorrow.

On the other hand, if the club progresses as intended over the next 3 years, there may be no reason for him to move on.

It's easier to impose yourself on a game as a CM than a #10, if the rest of the team can't get the ball to Eriksen and the forward players then it's not really their fault. Whilst I don't think Eriksen was massively involved yesterday, he did cross for Vertonghen's goal and put Lennon through and Defoe in twice, so it was a case of effectiveness over involvement.

Back