• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I rate Tom Carroll highly. But he is the same age as Eriksen. Eriksen plays like he's 24 at least. Unbelievable experience for someone so young.

I rate Tom Carroll highly. But he is the same age as Eriksen. Eriksen plays like he's 24 at least. Unbelievable experience for someone so young.
That's what you get from someone with over 160 appearances for a regular Champions League side, plus almost 40 for a decent (but not top-tier) national team.

No matter how good his debut was, it was still only his first match in the EPL. He'll be a marked man now -- let's see what he does against teams with a little more midfield steel than Norwich.

Part of that is the advantage of coming through a smaller, less competitive, league.

Of course Eriksen being massively talented doesn't hurt either :)

Norwich going 4-4-2 certainly helped us keep hold of the ball more, versus playing against a possession-retaining side. But no doubt about, the quality of the passes is what matters. The more unpredictable we become, the more dangerous our chances will be.

Don't you guys think we're going a bit over the top re Eriksen?

He only cost 11/12million. and even if you do consider that he had 1 year left on his contract, the fact is, it seems no-one else really wanted him. Teams like Milan/Arsenal/Manu had been tracking him for a few years now, and when he was available for 11m, none of them bit. That says a lot no? Its almost as if the football community decided he doesnt justify the fan hype that had been surrounding him for years now.

He only cost 11/12million. and even if you do consider that he had 1 year left on his contract, the fact is, it seems no-one else really wanted him. Teams like Milan/Arsenal/Manu had been tracking him for a few years now, and when he was available for 11m, none of them bit. That says a lot no? Its almost as if the football community decided he doesnt justify the fan hype that had been surrounding him for years now.

Or most of the top teams either already have players like that or he does not fit their system? It was reported he turned a few top teams down aswell.

Vertonghen was only £8m. Why did no one sign him, AC Milan, Arsenal and others were tracking him for years. Or are we going over the top about one of the best centre backs in the league?

Spurs fans will do what us spurs fans do best, think he is world class then berate him completely when he has a bad game, and holtby (or random player x) should be in the team in front of him, while he should be sold :) That said, it was a good debut, and nice to see some cutting edge, but ill reserve any judgement good or bad until after xmas.

I'm pretty sure exactly the same thing was said in the past about Luka Modric, Dimitar Berbatov and Gareth Bale.

Christian Eriksen looks every inch to be the real deal.

Why should a player's ability and potential be always questioned just because Spurs were the club to sign them?

I'm pretty sure exactly the same thing was said in the past about Luka Modric, Dimitar Berbatov and Gareth Bale.
Why should a player's ability and potential be always questioned just because Spurs were the club to sign them?

This is exactly what i thought. Which would suggest we are going a bit overboard with our initial opinions of him despite his impressive performance the other day.

For every Vertonghen, Modric, Bale etc theres a lot more Huddlestones and Khumalo's.

It seems to me that we know as fans that there is perhaps a lack of creativity in the side to really challegne for a top 4 spot. And we are almost hoping that Eriksen is our world class playmaker to challenge the likes of Silva/Ozil/Mata/Hazard/Cazorla

Last edited:

I think so, a wee bit at least.

This is exactly what i thought. Which would suggest we are going a bit overboard with our initial opinions of him despite his impressive performance the other day.

For every Vertonghen, Modric, Bale etc theres a lot more Huddlestones and Khumalo's.

It seems to me that we know as fans that there is perhaps a lack of creativity in the side to really challegne for a top 4 spot. And we are almost hoping that Eriksen is our world class playmaker to challenge the likes of Silva/Ozil/Mata/Hazard/Cazorla

How about we go for a more like for like.

Why did no massive clubs buy Rafa Van der Vaart direct from Ajax? Could it be something to do with what AVB said earlier, about clubs not always being prepared to take the risk on big talents from little leagues?

Also when talking about over-rated footballers, it's best not to be called Neymar ;)

AberYid,

Isn't VDV a prime example of someone who was a bit overrated? Despite his immense technical ability, as a footballer, he was never world class. When he got his big move to Madrid, he was a (relative) failure. Then i presume we got him because teams in between us and Madrid were not interested in him. Also, once he decided to leave us, again, no bigger team wanted him. For his national team, VDV hasn't been a key member either, often being used as a sub.

I think hes the perfect example of a player who football fans in general love (me included) because of his flair and technical ability. However his overall ability as a footballer is not as highly rated by people within football.

Now, if only we had signed Neymar instead of the likes of Eriksen, I would be confident that we could land a top 4 spot. ;)

AberYid,

Isn't VDV a prime example of someone who was a bit overrated? Despite his immense technical ability, as a footballer, he was never world class. When he got his big move to Madrid, he was a (relative) failure. Then i presume we got him because teams in between us and Madrid were not interested in him. Also, once he decided to leave us, again, no bigger team wanted him. For his national team, VDV hasn't been a key member either, often being used as a sub.

I think hes the perfect example of a player who football fans in general love (me included) because of his flair and technical ability. However his overall ability as a footballer is not as highly rated by people within football.

Now, if only we had signed Neymar instead of the likes of Eriksen, I would be confident that we could land a top 4 spot. ;)

Firstly, in his two seasons at Madrid, Rafa made 78 appearances - that's not bad for the captain of the International Injured XI. Also, in his second season he saved any credibility they had when he came back into the team (maybe a touch revisionist ;)) your second point I can't agree with though. He has 106 caps for Holland, that is by no definition ever not a "key member" - added to that he's played in 5 international competitions for them.

Is he world class? I'd say so, at his peak anyway - for sure. But look at other players Ajax have sold to non top clubs, Luis Suarez to Liverpool - not an Elite club at the time, Vertonghen to us, are they also not Elite players?

Eriksen is 21, one of the reasons he'd not moved before now is that he didn't want to, he was learning his trade. Madrid didn't need him, Barca don't need him, Bayern went for Thiago, Emirates Marketing Project don't really need him, Chelsea probably wanted him, Man Utd have an idiot in charge, sometimes transfers just fall into place. We are the perfect club for him and he's the perfect player for us.

Sure, it's just one game in - and he was excellent (against a rubbish side) but give him 15 more games and you'll be buying an Eriksen 23 shirt.

As for Neymar, he's soon to become footballs most expensive flop, he won't even score as many for Barca as Torres has for Chelsea. But that's a different debate for a different thread.

Yours, AberYid - vice Chair of the Eriksen Appreciation Society (Rossi is the Chair)

Watched the full Norwich game yesterday as I was at a festival all weekend.. This guy is the answer.

hopefully we dont become reliant on one player to help us play effectively in the final third....i mean the scum could cut open teams at will before Özil arrived

AVB still has much to work on the overall fluency of our passing and movement in the final third

Back