• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Do you understand the concept of finite resources?

Im sure Nigey doesnt mean that.

What I suspect he means, and sorry if this comes across like im a spokesman for him, is that we are fans, we are not in a position in anyway to discuss our finances etc. Since when did we all become businessmen and become a bunch of Levys? As fans we should be saying 'we want X,Y,Z' and not 'We want X,Y,Z but depends on our revenue streams, marketing channels' and all that malarky.

I am guilty of this slightly but moreso dont wanna pay 25m for Benteke than not wanting to spend 25m at all.

I'll be the first to admit the football we played last year wasn't exactly swashbuckling exciting, but there is no way we were as direct as Villa. Lambert's teams have always been brick to watch.

I'd argue that if Villa were more direct then they may not have struggled so much. They tried to play good football but lacked experience.

Lambert did what he could with Norwich, using a range of formations in order to win. Sometimes it would mean being direct, sometimes Norwich played some nice stuff. But Villa commonly set up in a 4-3-3 designed to play good football.

What I suspect he means, and sorry if this comes across like im a spokesman for him, is that we are fans, we are not in a position in anyway to discuss our finances etc. Since when did we all become businessmen and become a bunch of Levys? As fans we should be saying 'we want X,Y,Z' and not 'We want X,Y,Z but depends on our revenue streams, marketing channels' and all that malarky.

I am guilty of this slightly but moreso dont wanna pay 25m for Benteke than not wanting to spend 25m at all.

I'm sure Levy is well aware about the concept of finite resources too, and that's the important thing to me. I'd love Bentetke at Spurs as a player - the financial bit I leave to the club to take care of.

If Levy decides we can afford Benteke, I trust his judgement on the financial bit, and AVB & Baldini's judgment of the player's ability and how they think he'll fit in with the team.

oh and welcome n9 tel and ruducus......good to have new posters - fresh opinions. specially as they are pro benteke...lol

breathes heavily..........
Thanks for the welcome Nigeyman, it's good to be back again. (formally 'Tottenham Tel')

Bingo!!!!! I don't understand why there are those to bothered about a few mil here or there either????? its not our money and if its absolutely do-able we should press ahead.

none of us know the finances and none of us want to do a leeds, pompey and so on.

I really don't want to believe that we were happy to outlay 17m on a midfielder where it was obvious to every w**k*r and his dog that we are DESPERATLY lacking in the forward department I wont believe our board is that thick!!!!!!!!! we dithered and ummmd and ahhhhd over Villa as he is quoted as saying, we weren't 100% into him but I think Levy is with Benteke....!!!!

I can guarantee that the poster's raising financial concerns will and have moaned about us not buying a striker in jan last year or moaning because Levy doesn't get deals done. will these same posters please give us other options than benteke???????? no this transfer is the perfect fit for club and player. I don't want us moaning that we have ignored the striker situation 3 years in a row.

if we dither we will miss out...Napoli are flush and he must be on their radar, arse and Chelsea are watching......any messing around and trying to be clever over 1-2m will be fatal!!!!!

and in terms of creating positivity around the club and excitement through fans lets get this deal done...nice and early so he can settle with less pressure rather than being a late signing.

I absolutely believe we CAN afford this deal and not put the club in jeopardy!!!!!! is there anyone out there who thinks we are stupid enough to blow most of our kitty on one midfielder when we are in desperate need of firepower????????
A Facebook 'Like' for this!

So if he doesn't sign today, he has to go back to training with Villa tomorrow. The chances of it happening??

So if he doesn't sign today, he has to go back to training with Villa tomorrow. The chances of it happening??
I would expect some quotes from him though through his car window at the training ground, will be interesting to here something straight from the horses, sorry thoroughbreds, mouth on what he wants.

But hardly anyone that doesn't really want him hasn't stated a footballing reason why they feel this way(in terms of his ability).

You must have missed the Benteke chat on here last season. Many claimed he's just a big clumsy oaf who has no footballing ability and only gets by because he's strong. Not good enough for us and is a Stoke-calibre player.

Is nobody else concerned about the way Benteke is conducting himself with Villa? I know this is modern football, a player wants to move to a bigger club, puts in a transfer request, makes a pain of himself and eventually the club agree to sell him. The problem I have is that he did it at Genk, after one good season in their first team and is doing it again at Villa after just one season. If we buy him are we going to get one good season out of him before he puts in a transfer request to go to a champions league regular or a team that'll pay him well into 6 figures a week?

Obviously he'd be a great player for us, he's scored goals at every level he's played at, and scored regularly in the prem last year as well so it's not his ability that worries me, it's his attitude, I can see him being another Adebayor and we don't need another one of them.

If Levy decides we can afford Benteke, I trust his judgement on the financial bit, and AVB & Baldini's judgment of the player's ability and how they think he'll fit in with the team.

This, i would rather trust Baldini over players then fans who get most of their knowledge from playing on FIFA and the like.

Is nobody else concerned about the way Benteke is conducting himself with Villa? I know this is modern football, a player wants to move to a bigger club, puts in a transfer request, makes a pain of himself and eventually the club agree to sell him. The problem I have is that he did it at Genk, after one good season in their first team and is doing it again at Villa after just one season. If we buy him are we going to get one good season out of him before he puts in a transfer request to go to a champions league regular or a team that'll pay him well into 6 figures a week?

Obviously he'd be a great player for us, he's scored goals at every level he's played at, and scored regularly in the prem last year as well so it's not his ability that worries me, it's his attitude, I can see him being another Adebayor and we don't need another one of them.

I can certainly see your point, I've heard he wanted to reject the Villa deal at the last minute because he found out Aston Villa were not based in London. Not sure how true this is though

Do you understand the concept of finite resources?

yes I think I do and if you had read my previous posts I don't think you would have felt the need to say that.

I disagree with what you said about villa as well, when I watched them they were trying to play football from the back which at times would backfire on them.

Basically you or I don't know the clubs finances......but again I don't see why we would have sanctioned 17m for paulie without having something in reserve because the striker situation should have been prioritised. At no point have I said lets pay silly money here and there.......we both want a successful spurs I presume I would prefer we wallow in the delights of ucl money rather than missing out again.

All I am saying is we should have the courage to do the deal if 25m is the asking price because I believe the player will have a positive impact on us........ if you don't believe the same I have no problem with that. but please don't try and make me out to be stupid. I have been forthright with my views and therefore I am open to being shot down if I am proved wrong.

if you compare the posts we have made I am still in nappies lol, I should be your spokesman....... but thanks I didn't mean lets keep spending money we don't have.

I can certainly see your point, I've heard he wanted to reject the Villa deal at the last minute because he found out Aston Villa were not based in London. Not sure how true this is though

its a relevant concern but look how modric turned out....yet he was still a major force in us getting top 4 and ucl.......Berba was a git but helped us win carling cup.

Benteke is no saint and 95% of footballer's are mercs anyway!!!!!!! again the question remains......do you think he has the tools to get us top 4 top 3????? if you think the answer is yes then its obvious we should be praying the deal gets done....even if it pushes our transfer kitty to the max.

Dempsey did the same thing to get a move here, actually he went one further than Benteke has(so far) and told Fulham he'd never play for them again. Benteke can't afford to do that in a World Cup year.

So far I don't think it is fair to say that we have seen the player making a pain of himself at Villa. All that has happened so far is that the player has put in a transfer request. I haven't seen any quotes in the media from Benteke himself (or even his agent come to think of it?) and, as far as we know, The player will be returning to training at Aston Villa tomorrow.

This is much better practice than (for example) Wayne Rooney who is trying to get a transfer via stealth so that Man Utd still have to pay him the remaining installments of his signing on fee (AKA "loyalty bonus" - hah that's a laugh!) upon selling him.

Benteke's actions (so far) at Villa have been completely by the book. It does seem that he has previous from his time with Genk, but none of us know the details around his time there at the club. Perhaps he signed for Genk with the understanding that he would be allowed to move to a bigger league if a suitable offer came in and the club then didn't honour that. Or perhaps he never actually went on strike, but was told to stay away from the training ground while the deal was negotiated (I have seen numerous examples of clubs claiming that players refused to train to get a transfer only for it to later come out that it was the club who had asked them to stay away in the first place - a good example is Craig Bellamy when he moved from West Ham to Emirates Marketing Project (and very nearly came to us instead, his preferred destination).

To turn to my thoughts on the player and his transfer value/fee. If Villa are insistent on extras then I would have no problem in us paying £20 million and then 25% of any future transfer profit on that). If Levy can negotiate a better deal than that then even better, but I think that it's fair to rate Benteke in the £20 million (plus a bit more in the future) bracket when Wilfred Bony is going for £12 million having never scored goals in a top league.

With Kaboul and Sandro back this season and Rose and Townsend staying with us as part of the first team squad I think we could sign Benteke and then pretty much leave the squad at that.... Perhaps also adding this Nacer Chadli chap if he can play as a true left wing forward in a 4-3-3? (although I'm not sure why but I have a feeling that AVB might be looking to play Defoe in that role sometimes)

You must have missed the Benteke chat on here last season. Many claimed he's just a big clumsy oaf who has no footballing ability and only gets by because he's strong. Not good enough for us and is a Stoke-calibre player.

Similar then to all the Arsehole fans who are claiming that dirty cheating biting racist scumbag Suarez would be welcome after the battering they gave him before interest in signing him was known

Back