• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

People say that Kane needs to be pushed.. bull$hit, Kane is if not, is certainly one of the most highly driven players the premier league has seen in years, he doesn't need pushing.
I guess some people might be, but I'm certainly not. Most of us arguing for another top quality striker don't want one to "push" Kane, they want one because they don't think it makes sense - from a professional risk-assessment standpoint - to bet our entire season on (a) Kane's form remaining high, and (b) Kane remaining injury free.

I'd personally be half-willing to ignore point (a) if we absolutely had to... but failing to have an adequate replacement if he gets injured is just sheer irresponsibility in my view. We should have enough games next season to keep two top quality (and one back-up) striker happy. Betting a season on Kane remaining injury-free (or even on him having another great season) is ridiculous.

And I don't understand anyone describing a striker who had an injury-plagued premier league season but still managed to score 1 in 2, as "utter garbage". I can't see how that can be anything but nonsense based on personal bias. We can disagree about whether or not he'd be a good fit for Spurs... but "utter garbage"? Meh.

Eriksen Kane Lamela could work as a 3 behind Benteke - If Eriksen can keep his defensive contrinution up it'd probably help the team in a defensive sense as Chadli often shirks this side of his game.

yes but will Poch dare to drop Kane back

the point is that its ok to do this for a few games, but what about the rest. Surely Kane will want to and Poch will want him to lead the line. That means no room for Benteke and what a few of us are saying is that Benteke is the type that needs to play week in week out in order to establish some rhythm and form.

yes but will Poch dare to drop Kane back

the point is that its ok to do this for a few games, but what about the rest. Surely Kane will want to and Poch will want him to lead the line. That means no room for Benteke and what a few of us are saying is that Benteke is the type that needs to play week in week out in order to establish some rhythm and form.

I don't know what Kane would want - seemed happy to be playing that role at the beginning of the season in the cups and it was that position in which he forced his way in to the first team, so it's not out of the question that he'd be happy to play there again.

This isn't playground football where everyone wants to play CF and everywhere else is a lesser position...

I just can't see the link as I don't see Poch changing his system to accomodate two strikers. I think he's got his mind set on us playing a high possession game with the 3 man midfield being his "engine room". As much as I like Kane, there were times when we reverted to two up front this season and he looked out of place at #10. He's settled into that #9 role and when you have players like Terry talking about how difficult he is to play against, we should be taking note. At #9 he takes defenders out of their comfort zone and makes them think. If anything I think we should be looking for a pacy wing forward to attack the spaces that Kane makes.

With Kane at #9 we have found something that works and as someone else said earlier in the thread, a Martial or Berahino type player would make the most of Kane's hard work. I'd say that one of those plus Lamela could really improve our goal tally.

He wouldn't have to change his system though - 2 forwards on the same pitch doesn't have to equal 4xx2 - Kane can play central of the 3 behind a CF in our current setup and as we have already seen several times this season it works for the team and it works for Kane.

He could yes, but is that his best role? I'm arguing that it isn't and that he's better leading the line with a different type of player being aquired.

He wouldn't have to change his system though - 2 forwards on the same pitch doesn't have to equal 4xx2 - Kane can play central of the 3 behind a CF in our current setup and as we have already seen several times this season it works for the team and it works for Kane.

Yep. He's been good there but before we spend a smidge either side of £30m on another striker, we ought to consider whether it is his best position, the best in our squad in that position and where we see him playing long term.

He could yes, but is that his best role? I'm arguing that it isn't and that he's better leading the line with a different type of player being aquired.

You was also arguing that Poch would have to adapt his setup to accomodate two strikers - which is what i was dissagreeing with ;)

He played well as a #9 and well as a #10 - by all accounts he was equally adept at both roles during his youth team days. And from the outside looking in at a young player after only one full season to his name i don't think we can pigeon hole him as either right now.

But i do think on paper

Benteke
Eriksen Kane Lamela

Is quite a strong looking front four, could we expect better from the other targets we've been linked with?

Last edited:
Yep. He's been good there but before we spend a smidge either side of £30m on another striker, we ought to consider whether it is his best position, the best in our squad in that position and where we see him playing long term.

I agree with that of course, im not saying we have to sign Benteke and drop Kane back to the 3 behind - im just saying it's an option and it has worked for us already this season and wouldn't require much overhaul tactically (which are two arguments people have put forward for why we shouldn't sign CB )

Last edited:
I know they are much higher level players, but Messi moved out to the right to accomodate Suarez, even though Messi's favoured strarting position (and arguably hsi best position) is starting through the middle. But overall, the Barca attack is stronger from accomodating Suarez and Messi is just brilliant anywhere in the attack.

The same could be true for Kane playing at 10 instead of 9, if we were to sign Benteke or another striker who favoured leading the line. I think Kane would be excellent as a Sheringham to someone's Shearer. He's also blessed with enough talent to play the Shearer role.

This is a good potential problem for us to have. Whether that means we should spend £30m on Benteke is another story. My gut feeling is that the price is too high, but it really matters more who Poch wants for his team.

I agree it's an option, but I don't think it should be plan A.

To expand on the other thing; I think Milo puts it better than me. Whilst Kane can play there I don't think he's the best player in that role and we only do it when behind in a game and have opened up in search of a goal. I don't think Kane can play the role that Lamela or Eriksen play as well as they do.

I'd love to have Benteke as a game changer or as our second choice at #9, but he can't be either as we would never keep him happy.

I agree with that of course, im not saying we have to sign Benteke and drop Kane back to the 3 behind - im just saying it's an option and it has worked for us already this season and wouldn't require much overhaul tactically (which are two arguments people have put forward for why we shouldn't sign CB )

I agree it is an option. I expect teams to set up to stiffle Kane leading the line this coming season and dropping him back could be a good solution to that. My concern is that Benteke is a very expensive way of having this option.

I agree it's an option, but I don't think it should be plan A.

To expand on the other thing; I think Milo puts it better than me. Whilst Kane can play there I don't think he's the best player in that role and we only do it when behind in a game and have opened up in search of a goal. I don't think Kane can play the role that Lamela or Eriksen play as well as they do.

I'd love to have Benteke as a game changer or as our second choice at #9, but he can't be either as we would never keep him happy.

I disagree. This isn't a knock on Eriksen or Lamela, but I don't think either of them are better at any aspect of the game than Kane in playing that number 10 role. Kane gets back to defend better, works harder (and Lamela and Eriksen both work hard), is a better passer, a better dribbler...etc. etc. I really don't think the team loses out if Kane plays at 10 in place of Eriksen/Lamela, IF (big if) the new number 9 is of good quality.

Personally, I think Poch will leave Kane at 9 and sign a backup. But if he chooses otherwise, I can see the logic.

My sentiments exactly

I agree it is an option. I expect teams to set up to stiffle Kane leading the line this coming season and dropping him back could be a good solution to that. My concern is that Benteke is a very expensive way of having this option.

At 32mil so do i - but i would imagine if we were to get in Benteke it would be for more than just having the option and it would because we intend to use that option as our prefered setup.

Your all nuts if you think Kane will be given a role other than what he had last season. And to spend 30 large... Absolutely nuts. 30m! o_O

And I don't understand anyone describing a striker who had an injury-plagued premier league season but still managed to score 1 in 2, as "utter garbage". I can't see how that can be anything but nonsense based on personal bias. We can disagree about whether or not he'd be a good fit for Spurs... but "utter garbage"? Meh.

A while ago everyone was debating the mentality of the player we bring in.. everyone was saying that we cannot do another Adebayor. Fcuk that lets bring in a similar mindset.

A while ago everyone was debating the mentality of the player we bring in.. everyone was saying that we cannot do another Adebayor. Fcuk that lets bring in a similar mindset.

I don't think Benteke will suit our team as it is now; certainly not at the silly money being quoted. But what is it about him that makes it look he has a similar mindset to Ade??o_O

Effort when he wants too, under Lambert his body language was terrible. A similar trait to Adebayor, and something I see happening unfortunately. If we had no Kane then I would be more open to him coming.

Back