• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Could not agree more (this is becoming a disturbing regularity, recently :confused:)

This "we cannot carry 2 strikers" only assumes that the only thing those two would be doing is waiting to score.

It was a regular event to see Kane tracking back and tackling an opponent near our corner flag or to see Benteke in Villa's half closing space when they lost possession.

With two options moving around up front, we would force mid/lower table teams to defend deeper since they would know they would susceptible to the long ball; this in turn would allowing more space in midfield and more possession. Also one less midfielder would hopefully avoid the ridiculous situations we often saw last season where our midfield five were squeezed in a sixpense between half way and the penalty box with barely any room for effective maneuvering.

Barca carry not two but three strikers and they didn't do too badly, did they? It's not the number of strikers but having good midfielders, especially a Busquets/Matic type DM, to make sure the system works. Strikers score goals; goals win matches!!

I'm not opposed to playing Kane at number 10 and it might be a good tactic if teams set up to stiffle him at number 9 but if he is to play there we need to judge him against the other options in that position. It seems a little simplistic to me to say that playing a forward at number 10 is more attacking than playing an attacking midfielder there.

Today's rumours mention a part-swap with Townsend....

20mill + Townsend should not break our bank, especially if we get 8 - 10 mill for Soldado. Maybe Tim would also take Ade into the bargain???;)

Any chance of a link or a credit to those rumours? It makes it a lot easier to have a decent discussion if we know where they are from.

20mill + Townsend should not break our bank, especially if we get 8 - 10 mill for Soldado. Maybe Tim would also take Ade into the bargain???;)
I might get flamed for this but I think Townsend may still come good. His problems are largely decision making ones and can be rectified IMO. He seems to be suffering with the burden of expectation that comes with being a Spurs player and that is translating into him making bad choices on the pitch. I wouldn't let him go permanently just yet. 20mil + Ade + Townsend on loan seems a good deal for both clubs.

I'm not opposed to playing Kane at number 10 and it might be a good tactic if teams set up to stiffle him at number 9 but if he is to play there we need to judge him against the other options in that position. It seems a little simplistic to me to say that playing a forward at number 10 is more attacking than playing an attacking midfielder there.

You have a point; ultimately it depends on who that number 10 and in what system he plays. Sanchez is not a striker but he offers the scum more than playing a second striker upfront. However the system he plays in allows that; their movement off the ball pulls packed defences apart and allows him do the damage - as you rightly say.

However, much as we hate them, we must admit that their movement off the ball is years ahead of us. Therefore, as we have seen over and over again, our midfielders - including Eriksen - tend to come up against brick walls and we struggle against teams that park the bus, especially at WHL. Not a surprise to me that goals from midfield came so often late in games when the opposition defences had tired and therefore started to leave spaces.

We cannot rely on this factor to win though and to us, in our current style, I can see many possibilities for a Benteke - Kane attack: power, movement, heading ability and above all the ability to bully defenders.

I might get flamed for this but I think Townsend may still come good. His problems are largely decision making ones and can be rectified IMO. He seems to be suffering with the burden of expectation that comes with being a Spurs player and that is translating into him making bad choices on the pitch. I wouldn't let him go permanently just yet. 20mil + Ade + Townsend on loan seems a good deal for both clubs.

I have probably stuck my neck out for Andros more than most but tell me, how long can we wait for him to come good? If selling him means being able to afford Benteke, I'd take that...

I have probably stuck my neck out for Andros more than most but tell me, how long can we wait for him to come good? If selling him means being able to afford Benteke, I'd take that...
Not much longer I suppose but he is a spurs boy and for that reason I have a soft spot for him. I'd give him one more season to try and turn it around, or season on loan at Villa say, and another season back at Spurs.

If we are choosing makeweights in an attempt to sign Benteke then Ade would be my choice 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:

This is the crux of it for me he has played nearly 90 games for us and he still has the same faults, head down, run into blind alleys so turn round and go back. Plus the fact that he is 24 ( in a couple of days), now that is not old but its not as he is a kid who has shown he will learn from his bad habits/faults.

If we are choosing makeweights in an attempt to sign Benteke then Ade would be my choice 10 times out of 10.

Mine too :)

But we need to be realistic; if Ade goes to Villa it will be on a year's loan with us picking up half his wages... And even that would be cause for celebration

Does not exactly help us get Benteke at an affordable price though...

it doesnt work like that though. It will be 30-32 mil for Benteke and in a separate deal Townsend would go for 10-12 mill. Agents will keep the deals apart.

Mine too :)

But we need to be realistic; if Ade goes to Villa it will be on a year's loan with us picking up half his wages... And even that would be cause for celebration

Does not exactly help us get Benteke at an affordable price though...
Well I'd take that, and it may just help us get Benteke actually as Tim's ego knows no bounds. I'm sure he thinks he can get Ade playing to a high level again (and he may do!!) and getting a ready made :cool:replacement for Benteke as part of the deal may help get it over the line.

Cannot believe people want this utter garbage player after watching him against Wales the other night. Robson-Kanu was much better, and could probably be had for a fraction of the price

Cannot believe people want this utter garbage player after watching him against Wales the other night. Robson-Kanu was much better, and could probably be had for a fraction of the price

yeah he was very poor against Wales. I felt sorry for all those Belgian attacking midfielders, they had nothing to work off from him

Cannot believe Emirates Marketing Project are willing to pay even a fiver for the utter garbage player that was Sterling after watching him against Ireland the other night...

Cannot understand how Man Utd are willing to pay even 10 grad a week for the utter garbage player that was Rooney after watching him against Ireland the other night...

Anyone on the Irish team was much better than these three and and could probably be had for a fraction of the price.....

He was poor in the FA cup final also (not entirely his own fault mind) but in other games he has shown that he can be a game changer. It's this inconsistency that is really the only reason we might get him if truth be told. If he was operating at peak level in every match he probably would be unobtainable for us.

Cannot believe Emirates Marketing Project are willing to pay even a fiver for the utter garbage player that was Sterling after watching him against Ireland the other night...

Cannot understand how Man Utd are willing to pay even 10 grad a week for the utter garbage player that was Rooney after watching him against Ireland the other night...

Anyone on the Irish team was much better than these three and and could probably be had for a fraction of the price.....

I wouldn't buy Sterling either, 10k for Rooney!! it was a friendly after all and not a qualifier like against Wales. ;)

Benteke would be a huge mistake because he needs to play every week, he will go the same way as Soldado IMO. You shouldn't pay 20m plus on any player unless he is an every week starter.

I wouldn't buy Sterling either, 10k for Rooney!! it was a friendly after all and not a qualifier like against Wales. ;)

Love to know who you'd buy then.

I have been warned by our mods not to be confrontational so will try to bite my tongue... but to label a player, who has scored the number and quality of goals he has, as "utter garbage" based on one international game is beyond pathetic....

Back