• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

When i started this thread i knew he was a player. I guess it showss what a genius i am and how this site is so lacking when im not here, i think you should all bow to my superior wisdom in matters relating to football.

First and foremost, we need someone who can score goals, Benteke showed he can last season. If we do get Benteke then our team will closely resemble Mourinho's Chelsea:

Sandro
(Makelele)
Paulinho ---- Dembele
(Lampard) --- (Essien)
Bale ------------- ???????
(Robben) ------- (Duff/Cole)
Benteke
(Drogba)​

I think AVB will play a 4-3-3 rather than the Chelsea formation of the early 00's. So I am expecting our wide men to play further forward and further infield.

It's funny because with Mata, Oscar and Hazard, they'll be the more pleasing on the eye team, whereas we'll be the strong, powerful, direct and hopefully solid side. A role reversal from years gone by.

I would prefer us being the powerful side, considering how often we've played the better football but been beaten by more direct, ruthless Chelsea in recent times.

Tottenham Hotspur being feared for their strength as opposed to their technical play....I'd like to try that for a while. :)

I would prefer us being the powerful side, considering how often we've played the better football but been beaten by more direct, ruthless Chelsea in recent times.

Tottenham Hotspur being feared for their strength as opposed to their technical play....I'd like to try that for a while. :)

Last season was the first time we lost at home to them since the 05/06 season. Away from home I'd always expect them to be favourites, and at WHL I'd always expect us to be favourites. Last season was an embarrassing occasion, but we normally hold our own against them in recent times.

I think AVB will play a 4-3-3 rather than the Chelsea formation of the early 00's. So I am expecting our wide men to play further forward and further infield.

what formation did the early chelsea team play then? duff and robben were out and out winger interchanging and coming narrow and scoring loads of goals and assisting.

the more this team takes shape the more it has jose mourinho's name all over it

Last season was the first time we lost at home to them since the 05/06 season. Away from home I'd always expect them to be favourites, and at WHL I'd always expect us to be favourites. Last season was an embarrassing occasion, but we normally hold our own against them in recent times.

FA Cup semi-final sticks out in my mind: we kept trying to dink little passes around while Chelsea just steamed through us. More pertinently, a lot of our draws in recent times have followed a pattern: we play well, ping the ball about, then concede an infuriatingly soft goal and spend the rest of the game labouring to a draw against a powerful, bullish Chelsea side. (See Drogba vs Gomes in that 1-1 draw, or Cole's handball cross that led to a Sturridge goal in that other 1-1 draw).

to be fair, last season at home to them we had Friedel in goal, Caulker partnering Gallas, Vertonghen at left back, Defoe up front on his own, Bale and Dembele were both out and Huddlestone partnerd Sandro in midfield.

Well we were without Dembele and Bale. Arguably our two most important players.

Last edited:
come on Levy, what are you waiting for, give them 25 mill and get Bentekkers in....we paid 17 mill for a midfielder we dont necessarily need, now go and get us a striker we desperately do need

do it man, just fcuking do it

I think this is my first post in this thread, I just can't believe some people aren't convinced about this player?! He has absolutely everything in his locker, and for some to think we should turn our nose up at him or not pay what £20-£25m in todays market when he is a rare commodity?! Forget about the fact he can score goals, he is an absolute beast and even if he somehow lost his goalscoring touch he would provide a shedload of chances for Bale et al. Defenders dont like playing against him, get him in....

When i started this thread i knew he was a player. I guess it showss what a genius i am and how this site is so lacking when im not here, i think you should all bow to my superior wisdom in matters relating to football.

Self praise is (usually) no recommendation, but I will bow to your superior wisdom, if the £25m we have to shell out for him proves to be money well spent!

I think this is my first post in this thread, I just can't believe some people aren't convinced about this player?! He has absolutely everything in his locker, and for some to think we should turn our nose up at him or not pay what £20-£25m in todays market when he is a rare commodity?! Forget about the fact he can score goals, he is an absolute beast and even if he somehow lost his goalscoring touch he would provide a shedload of chances for Bale et al. Defenders dont like playing against him, get him in....

welcome to the thread dude and because your singing from my hymn sheet...I like you!!!!!! I agree entirely with your sentiments....I hope Levy has his guns out and is flexing them towards Birmingham!!!\o/ get him in x2

It's very interesting to read on here how many people think that we need a Drogba style forward to play a 4-3-3, when actually the reverse is true. That's if we truly are looking to play a 4-3-3 and not a 4-5-1. We need more of an Aguero, Eto'o up front than a Drogba if we play 4-3-3. We need a forward who has a lot of pace, can beat a man in a dribble to get through on goal, have accurate long shooting when not much else is on and one who is very good at running onto diagonal through balls from the two inside forwards.

Drogba was a great player, but I don't think he is the style of player that AVB is seeking as his forward. Unless we do intend to play more negatively sit deeper and have that significant gap between the midfield and the forward.

Benteke is perfect for 4-3-3 as it's what Villa played last season. He often ran the channels with his pace and held it up, but as he showed with that goal v Liverpool especially is that he can easily beat 3 men with close control dribbling and strength and curl it in the corner!

Did anyone else hear the Belgian correspondent on TSport earlier?

He talked about Chadli a bit (excellent player who would do well here although he is more of a CM than winger, but keeping Fellaini out of the national team - not for this thread) and I thought he would be bigging Benteke up but I was shocked to hear him say that he doesn't rate him at all and he isn't good enough for a top 6 PL side in his opinion never mind fighting for top 4! He said if you have watched him playing for Belgium you would see that he mostly looks like a little boy lost! I was like "Huuuh??"

He did defend him in regard to the attitude he is taking with Villa (and what he did with Genk) because apparently S Liege treated him terribly and he was very affected by that so has since taken the attitude to "look after no. 1 always" so to speak.

It was an interesting perspective to say the least.

First and foremost, we need someone who can score goals, Benteke showed he can last season. If we do get Benteke then our team will closely resemble Mourinho's Chelsea:

Sandro
(Makelele)
Paulinho ---- Dembele
(Lampard) --- (Essien)
Bale ------------- Chadli
(Robben) ------- (Duff/Cole)
Benteke
(Drogba)​

Completed!

Did anyone else hear the Belgian correspondent on TSport earlier?

He talked about Chadli a bit (excellent player who would do well here although he is more of a CM than winger, but keeping Fellaini out of the national team - not for this thread) and I thought he would be bigging Benteke up but I was shocked to hear him say that he doesn't rate him at all and he isn't good enough for a top 6 PL side in his opinion never mind fighting for top 4! He said if you have watched him playing for Belgium you would see that he mostly looks like a little boy lost! I was like "Huuuh??"

He did defend him in regard to the attitude he is taking with Villa (and what he did with Genk) because apparently S Liege treated him terribly and he was very affected by that so has since taken the attitude to "look after no. 1 always" so to speak.

It was an interesting perspective to say the least.

Chadli isn't keping Fellaini out of the national team or anyone else for that matter, so if that was his opening line I'd be inclined to disregard the rest.

its funny how not one person here mentioned Benteke last summer when he moved from Genk

Is it really? How many people on here actually watch Belgium football. Personally I really paid attention to him last season when he started scoring and he impressed me. He really excelled playing through the middle. I loved the way he held the ball up and I saw him bully defenders many a time

Back