• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Chelsea Post-Match Discussion Thread

I'm torn on this mate - my initial thought was the same as yours, there's a time and a place for that sort of thing and (GHod bless Timmy Atouba) it isn't when you're the last person before the keeper. However, if you look at the video again, you'll see that nobody in front of him is making themselves available, he really doesn't seem to have a simple pass on, which is why he tries to buy himself some more time....and possibly with a hint of overconfidence after his zidanesque manoeuvre last week. The biggest mistake he made, even bearing in mind that he had a split second to make it, was where he then played the ball blindly. You may say hindsight is a wonderful thing if I suggest I'd have preferred him to kick it out of touch for a corner, but it's a basic that you don't play the ball towards your own area without looking, you play it into one of the other less dangerous zones like into touch or out to the channel - it's the same basic principal as never playing a back pass at goal, always aim wide just in case.

I do agree that outlet was (as has often been) a major issue for us, and was for him, but he has the skill and strength to carry that ball wider for a few more yards until the moment is forced. It was a mistake, as was the manoeuvre afterwards, and those happen. My issues with him have been going on for a while. In fact, I was as upset at Kaboul, ball-watching and slow to react, yesterday, as anyone in that moment.

Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I don't think Jose (I'll call him that because his surname sends my autocorrect mental) was forced into doing anything.

He's a naturally cautious manager up against a new opponent, with no style to speak of, whose team has been playing very erratically, with a striker on fire and who may or may not have his team really fired up for the match.

So he puts out a conservative team that he knows is unlikely to concede that can be easily changed in a number of ways. Knowing that Timmeh isn't big on modern management techniques it was likely that we'd be tired in the second half and that 45 minutes would be plenty to beat us.

In fact, I think that if we had him at all worried he'd have made a change in the first half.

I looked at his line-up and felt he was putting out a less than full-strength side to be fair...

I don't think Jose (I'll call him that because his surname sends my autocorrect mental) was forced into doing anything.

He's a naturally cautious manager up against a new opponent, with no style to speak of, whose team has been playing very erratically, with a striker on fire and who may or may not have his team really fired up for the match.

So he puts out a conservative team that he knows is unlikely to concede that can be easily changed in a number of ways. Knowing that Timmeh isn't big on modern management techniques it was likely that we'd be tired in the second half and that 45 minutes would be plenty to beat us.

In fact, I think that if we had him at all worried he'd have made a change in the first half.

I'd never have used the term worried, but it's fair to say that I don't think making a change at half time suggests that everything is going your way. Of course you're right that Jose's teams do have a habit of allowing possession to their opponents so long as that possession is limited to unthreatening zones but I think we did a fair job of containing them also up until the change.

I do agree that outlet was (as has often been) a major issue for us, and was for him, but he has the skill and strength to carry that ball wider for a few more yards until the moment is forced. It was a mistake, as was the manoeuvre afterwards, and those happen. My issues with him have been going on for a while. In fact, I was as upset at Kaboul, ball-watching and slow to react, yesterday, as anyone in that moment.

Yeah I think I wrote my thoughts on Kaboul somewhere else but I completely agree on your last point. Altogether sloppy performance from a man previously 'on fire' not so long ago.

I'd never have used the term worried, but it's fair to say that I don't think making a change at half time suggests that everything is going your way. Of course you're right that Jose's teams do have a habit of allowing possession to their opponents so long as that possession is limited to unthreatening zones but I think we did a fair job of containing them also up until the change.

I think we did OK. Better than I thought our line up would, worse than the correct line up would have.

Whilst they didn't have many out and out chances, they had a lot of moments when they were inches from springing the offside trap - so they'll never show up in shot stats but have to be considered as chances for them/weaknesses for us.

I think we did OK. Better than I thought our line up would, worse than the correct line up would have.

Whilst they didn't have many out and out chances, they had a lot of moments when they were inches from springing the offside trap - so they'll never show up in shot stats but have to be considered as chances for them/weaknesses for us.

Yeah we did ride our luck (in particular the incorrect offside decision which could have led to Lloris seeing Red in the first half) but I just think that our current side is not good enough to beat their current side no matter the personnel or tactics so on that basis we did ok for spells of the game until the goal. I called our manager deadwood as a player but he has earned himself somewhat of a reputation behind the scenes so I'm happy to see what he can do before we do or don't replace him in the summer...

What was the correct line up in your opinion?

I wouldn't have played siggy and would have put Lennon out to the wing where he has caused Chelsea problems in the past, in particular I'd have played him against cole who it could be argued may be short of confidence.

Walker right back (his position), Lennon right wing (his position), you see where I'm going with this, right?

Bentaleb sitting with Sandro as a double pivot, Paulinho as the forward midfielder getting up to support Ade.

Left wing? Anyone but Townsend really - this isn't the kind of match in which to waste opportunities with speculative shots.

Walker right back (his position), Lennon right wing (his position), you see where I'm going with this, right?

Bentaleb sitting with Sandro as a double pivot, Paulinho as the forward midfielder getting up to support Ade.

Left wing? Anyone but Townsend really - this isn't the kind of match in which to waste opportunities with speculative shots.

I can't help but think Holtby as a better option

^ drop the line lower, crowd out the midfield AS WE DID, but leave striker and the right wing ready for a counter attack.

if capoue were fit I'd have him and sandro. dembele for the first half for me - dembele does ever so well retaining possession for us in the midfield and looks a constant threat (he isn't) but oppossing players tend to fall back quickly once a player is passed in the midfield. i'd wait for oscar and whoever to come off the bench, and if we look like we can snatch it, i'd swop paulie for dembele on the hour.

^ drop the line lower, crowd out the midfield AS WE DID, but leave striker and the right wing ready for a counter attack.

Yep, the line has to be lower. Chelsea are at home and there would eventually be pressure from their fans to push up. Mourinho may not want to do that but Chelsea have a lot of English, anti-thinking fans who would get very shouty about a defensively sound thinky game.

If we're blocking the middle Ade won't get much support so he can't go off hiding in the channels - if he won't stay where he's dangerous, sub him.

Can't really argue with that to be fair. When the pre match analysis talked about us playing walker at right wing in order to prevent Hazard going forward by putting him on the back foot I did think to myself that we have a perfectly good winger in Lennon who could do that. Then I started to think TS must have been planning to double up defensively(which it seems was the plan) but to be honest Lennon and Walker are probably as strong defensively as Naughton and Walker, and with Lennon at least you have more of a threat than Walker who seemed to get a nose bleed any time more than one option was presented to him in the final third.

Ironically though, Naughton was probably our best player (maybe Ade) on the night. All in all it worked until Jan threw it away. If we were going to ever have any chance of winning the game we needed Eriksen on the pitch, and obviously that wasn't possible due to his injury.

For a club that spent the money we did in the summer we are so lacking in creative players it's unreal.

if capoue were fit I'd have him and sandro. dembele for the first half for me - dembele does ever so well retaining possession for us in the midfield and looks a constant threat (he isn't) but oppossing players tend to fall back quickly once a player is passed in the midfield. i'd wait for oscar and whoever to come off the bench, and if we look like we can snatch it, i'd swop paulie for dembele on the hour.

We kept possession excellently in the first half with Bentaleb consistantly recycling the ball. After the complete mess that was the first 5 minutes he was one of the main reasons we settled into it. With Capoue, Sandro and Dembele we wouldn't have had a hope of this.

Not sure about leaving your right winger up when their left side is manned by one of the most in form players about at the minute either.

Ade frustrates the life out of me as a striker. He reminds me of Robbie Keane when I used to scream at him for dropping in, picking the ball up off the centre backs then passing it to a full back. You're a ****ing centre forward, give us an outlet. I d

I felt the same, and was surprised to see his weird line-up hold it's own. it came undone when we needed it to step up a gear, as I said somewhere else, Walker ran his heart out but does not have the smarts (yet or perhaps ever) to make the right runs in that area of the pitch, and it compromised us greatly when we were looking to move the ball...

Didn't expect much from this game. But still it was really annoying the way we lost this match. The score should have read read Spurs-4 V Spurs-0. Chelsea were not even that good. They were helped by some shyte defending from us in the second half.

IMO, the main culprit was Kaboul. He was at fault for the first 2 goals, in addition to being red carded. Can't really blame Vertonghen for the first goal as he slipped and tried to kick the ball back to other Spurs player. Kaboul should have reacted faster but instead he stopped and let Eto have all the time in the world to score. As the TV pundits noted, Kaboul was busy tying up his boot laces just moments earlier. For the second goal, he let Eto get to the ball first and fouled him. It was harsh to be send off but Kaboul has only himself to blame. For both the goals, Kabouls lacked the concentration needed in a game against a big team. I have never been convinced of Kaboul as he is too error and injury prone. This mistakes won't do his image any favour.

It was unfortunate for Sandro to slip for the third goal. But it was annoying the way we conceded the 4th goal. It was really stupid for Walker to head the ball back to Lloris when the Chelsea player was near the goal. How many times have we conceded goals due to stupid back pass this season ? Why can't the players learn not to make stupid and unnecessary back passes ?

Sherwood has to take large part of the blame for this defeat as well. It was stupid to play players out of position in a big game. Walker in midfield was always going to make a stupid mistake or two. Also, why start Sigurdsson who have hardly played in recent matches.

This defeat has made it harder for us to stay in top 4 race. I think we have only left pride to play for in the league. Hope we will concentrate more in EL instead.

Last edited:
Walker's mistake was awful, but in fairness to him, he had run his heart out all day in an unfamiliar position, given everything he had and was most likely not 100% at that point in the game. A shame as his endeavor and effort were a credit.

You are so quick to criticise ( and be condescending to others) so let's all be privileged to hear what your view of " the correct side" would have been, given our player availability.

Back