• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cHARLIE aUSTIN

Again - I wonder whether you watched Austin?.... I would say that his link up play is one of his strengths, he isn't a head down and direct player at all. Austin also has good ability at playing with his back to goal. Again you say Austin won't contribute to our wider play, but I saw him pull out wide very intelligently last season. His work rate was also very similar to Harry Kane's in that he didn't give defenders a moments peace when they were on the ball.

I think if you go back and watch some of Austin's performances and you'll see a player with a very similar skill set to Kane's.

Have you actually watched Werner or do you just like him because he is young and hyped?

Every time I've watched him he only seemed effective at picking up Zamora's flick-ons.

I also know he also struggled at Burnley when Dyche replaced Howe and they switched from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 - he just got isolated because he couldn't link with their midfield.

I've not seen much of Werner but I like the sound of him because his attributes seem to match what we need - pace, intelligence and versatile across the front 3.

Every time I've watched him he only seemed effective at picking up Zamora's flick-ons.

I also know he also struggled at Burnley when Dyche replaced Howe and they switched from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 - he just got isolated because he couldn't link with their midfield.

I've not seen much of Werner but I like the sound of him because his attributes seem to match what we need - pace, intelligence and versatile across the front 3.
You mean like how Van Der Vaart used to do the same when playing with Crouch?.... Austin must be both an intelligent and very good player if he is able to be effective when having to play from flick ons. I had a quick look at Austin's goals from last season and (just like Kane) he scored all kinds of goals - shots from outside the box, headers from crosses, finishes from square passes into the box, goals from corners, goals where he picked up the ball in the box and made space for himself by getting around a player before finishing, and goals where he was put through one on one with the keeper. I haven't yet seen a goal that came directly from a Zamora flick on.

Unlike you, I can't confess to having watched Austin play at Burnley (either before or after Dyche took over) but he can't have struggled that much can he?... seeing as he played 37 league games that season (more than any other forward at the club) and he scored a further 10 goals that season after Dyche took over, which was twice as many goals as anybody else at Burnley scored in the same period (incidently in that same period Ings got 3 goals aand Vokes got 4).

Regarding Werner: I know the player is only 19 years old but last season he only scored 3 goals in 32 games, the season before that he scored 4 goals in 30 games. He may improve and become an excellent player in time, but he certainly isn’t ready to be starting in the PL for Spurs with us expecting him to make a difference for us. There is a huge amount of hype around him because he was the youngest player ever to play a Bundesliga match for Stuttgart. Remember that there was also lots of hype around John Bostock (for example) for similar reasons.

I'm not suggesting we get Austin (though I can think of far worse strikers we could go for), but when you say "every time" you've watched him... exactly how many games are you basing your opinion on? Because I've just watched the YouTube vid of all his goals last season, and while there are two assists from Zamora (out of 20 goals) neither of them are what you'd call "flick-ons". Austin scored a considerable variety of different types of goals last season and while football is famously subjective (one of the great things about it) I literally do not recognise Austin in your "only effective at picking up Zamora's flick-ons" description. It's miles away from being accurate.

You guys need to stop taking Gutter Boy so seriously. There's no way he's assessed all these players across all divisions teams countries managers and seasons to know half as much as he claims.

See exhibit (a) Mumorn and his knowledge of Lech Poznans reserve left back

I can't see a thread for Charlie Austin. So here goes.

Charlie Austin will be 26 years old in July . If we sign him now, we will see his best years as a footballer. He is a goal scoring machine, and whilst most of his goals were at the lower levels, his 18 goals scored for a relegated team in the premier league last season, is quite a feat and his signing should be seriously considered.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2006–2007 Kintbury Rangers 27 (20)
2007–2008 Hungerford Town 30 (5)
2008 Thatcham Town 0 (0)
2008–2009 Poole Town 42 (48)
2009–2011 Swindon Town 54 (31)
2011–2013 Burnley 82 (41)
2013– Queens Park Rangers 66 (35)

Here's 100 goals scored by Charlie Austin

Here's his premier league goals from last season to around January.

Rather than Benteke at £30m...I think we should go for Charlie Austin and meet QPR's asking price of £15m .

At that kind of money, I rate him a buy.

Whats the difference between his highlight reel and Soldados at Valencia?

All his goals are 'finishes". He may work well in a 442 where a partner can hold it up for him but there is nothing to suggest he can lead the line as a lone striker which is what he would be expected to do for us.

No thanks, not for me anyway.

Going on last seasons evidence Berahino has much more variation in his play and gets involved in the build up plus is younger and has pace.

No sane person can really believe Charlie Austin is worth 15m

I see. Maybe if I didn't mention Valencia in the question then your double negative would have proved most insightful
Well if the question is... "What's the difference between his highlight reel and Soldado's in the premier league?" then the obvious answer is: "Austin's reel is full of goals".

Whats the difference between his highlight reel and Soldados at Valencia?

All his goals are 'finishes". He may work well in a 442 where a partner can hold it up for him but there is nothing to suggest he can lead the line as a lone striker which is what he would be expected to do for us.

No thanks, not for me anyway.

Going on last seasons evidence Berahino has much more variation in his play and gets involved in the build up plus is younger and has pace.

No sane person can really believe Charlie Austin is worth 15m

If the problem with Austin is that he's not a line leading lone striker, what evidence is there to think that Berahino can play that role?

He's shown strength to hold of defenders and shows he can link up with players around him in creative ways which lead to goals. 2 things which are crucial to being a lone striker. From what I've seen Austins goals have stemmed from the rest of the team doing the work and he is there to finish, which again - is fine in a 442 but not in our system.

I also feel Berahino will give us another option in away games using his pace on the counter.

By the way I'm not saying Berahino is the answer but if it was a choice between him and Austin I feel Berahino has more to offer and is a no brainer if they are available for the same price or within 5m of each other

Austin has limitations, but is a natural goal scorer - you can't teach that.
Berahino will be a top7 EPL player long term.

I would go with Austin - goals win games and he will score more than Berahino. Fergie had some limited strikers, built teams that allowed them to do one thing.....

I look at Austin going to west ham or palace etc like Jose would, 'at a reasonable club he could take points from us',better buy him.

"The fans are waiting for the window to close and are hoping Charlie is still here," Ferdinand told the Evening Standard.

"These things always seem to drag on, but from the club's perspective you want it resolved as quickly as possible.

"All he can do is be professional, which he was against Charlton on Saturday. He's got into this position where clubs are interested in him because he's been professional and scored goals. He can't allow himself to slip now.

"The price is still £15million and the only firm bid that has come in is still from Leicester. Everyone feels that bids are going to come in for him, it's just a matter of when. But if a club doesn't pay the fee, then we will offer him a new contract to get him to stay."

---

'Anyone got £15 million to give us? Anyone? Please? Hell, let's make it an even 12.'

"The fans are waiting for the window to close and are hoping Charlie is still here," Ferdinand told the Evening Standard.

"These things always seem to drag on, but from the club's perspective you want it resolved as quickly as possible.

"All he can do is be professional, which he was against Charlton on Saturday. He's got into this position where clubs are interested in him because he's been professional and scored goals. He can't allow himself to slip now.

"The price is still £15million and the only firm bid that has come in is still from Leicester. Everyone feels that bids are going to come in for him, it's just a matter of when. But if a club doesn't pay the fee, then we will offer him a new contract to get him to stay."

---

'Anyone got £15 million to give us? Anyone? Please? Hell, let's make it an even 12.'
Ferdinand is trying to be smart to drive up an auction, but I'm unsure of how many clubs actually wanting to pay £15 mill or more - even in the latter stage of the window.
Could easily be 12 mill in the end of the day, and Les is looking lesser smart ;)

Do clubs really need to do that via the press though? Im sure they can just tell Austins agent to drum up some interest (which he's no doubt already doing)

Back