• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cHARLIE aUSTIN

it may not be in Poch's control.

with the stadium investments becoming top priority, levy needs to decide is he can increase investment in the team mid-season, and shoot for top 4 THIS season.

There were reports in the summer that Levy offered Poch Austin but he wasn't interested.

Personally I'd have signed him but then I'm not managing the team

Would have been good cover for Kane for such a low fee.
Maybe Austin wasn't interested in being sat in the bench as cover.
Starting for a mid table team would be more appealing to many players rather than bench warming for a top 4 challenging team.
A hot run till the end of the season might also give him a final outside shot at a Euro spot...unlikely but possibly a consideration for him?
I get the feeling, however, that he wasn't exactly inundated with options.

Would have been good cover for Kane for such a low fee.

Exactly. Not sure why we didn't go for Austin. He was a success in PL last season. I would prefer us to sign the "tried and tested" players in the PL like him instead of the untried and untested players like Dembele.

To be honest I am not upset about not getting him and for the following reasons.

(1) There has been a lot of talk about his knee problems and this put a lot of clubs off in the summer.

(2) I never thought he would want to spend most of his time on the bench as a back up for Kane.

(3) And probably the most important one is the talk that he was a player that Poch was not really interested in.

I'm not too fussed about not signing him, I just think it would have made sense given the low fee and the type of player he is.

If he's gone to Southampton for £4m then it means one of three things...

1) We weren't interested in him.
2) He wants lots of game time and we weren't in a position to guarantee that.
3) Southampton were willing to break the bank in terms of wages.

I'm going for #1 myself. I doubt he was ever on management's radar because I think at this moment in time, we could have offered a more attractive prospect than Southampton even with Harry Kane as our obvious first choice. And at £4m we could have afforded him.

Back