• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

cHARLIE aUSTIN

Plus the £15m price tag on someone who's contract is about to run out

I'd expect him to go for half that if he leaves in January. I could see a Premier League club sign him with an eye to turn a quick profit.

I'd expect him to go for half that if he leaves in January. I could see a Premier League club sign him with an eye to turn a quick profit.

How do they get a profit from a player that nobody wants to buy?

How do they get a profit from a player that nobody wants to buy?

I do wonder if there is something in the rumours about an underlying injury problem or maybe QPR just priced him out of a move. He is a decent player, works hard and has a good goalscoring record. He is not top level but he could do a good job for most Premier League clubs.

I do wonder if there is something in the rumours about an underlying injury problem or maybe QPR just priced him out of a move. He is a decent player, works hard and has a good goalscoring record. He is not top level but he could do a good job for most Premier League clubs.

Sounds the perfect back up to Kane.

I hope that is true.

Why? he is the least risk, most proven, sensible "back up to Kane" type signing I can see out there.

He's scored at a 1:2 rate for every club, every level he's ever played at ..

He'd be cheaper than SB, and we could probably still sell him in a year or two to lower level PL or top Championship club.

these are the kind of decisions that worry me about Poch's inexperience
- am I a huge Austin fan = no
- is he one for the future = no
- are we likely to have to pay a touch over value = probably

However, very similar to Kane, right workrate, best like for like cover and I could see him coming in and getting us 7 goals in the 2nd half that could be difference between CL or not.

He would be a decent signing imo, if the price is right. A consistent goal-scorer the past 5 seasons, with one of those being in the Premier League.

League Goals:

For Burnley:
Championship 11-12 season: 16 goals
Championship 12-13 season: 25 goals

For QPR:
Championship 13-14 season: 17 goals
Premier League 14-15 season: 18 goals
Championship 15-16 season: 10 goals (so far)

Why? he is the least risk, most proven, sensible "back up to Kane" type signing I can see out there.

There is a lot of talk/rumour/lies about his knees ( who knows if any of them are true) but seeing as no one seemed to want him during the summer then they may be some truth in them.

I do not see us signing him for several reasons, he has the fitness problems, he will not want to sit on our bench as back up, and the talk is that Poch does not see him as a buy ( again maybe rumours).

He's scored at a 1:2 rate for every club, every level he's ever played at ..

He'd be cheaper than SB, and we could probably still sell him in a year or two to lower level PL or top Championship club.

these are the kind of decisions that worry me about Poch's inexperience
- am I a huge Austin fan = no
- is he one for the future = no
- are we likely to have to pay a touch over value = probably

However, very similar to Kane, right workrate, best like for like cover and I could see him coming in and getting us 7 goals in the 2nd half that could be difference between CL or not.

All of those were true in the summer, though his price has obviously dropped a bit further since then. Nothing to indicate that we made a move for him in the summer, I'm not sure what's changed.

All of those were true in the summer, though his price has obviously dropped a bit further since then. Nothing to indicate that we made a move for him in the summer, I'm not sure what's changed.

For us or them?

- In summer for us, I could see why we wouldn't make a move. We ideally would have been looking for an upcoming player who would develop over time, better second half of season, even better next year (seems a lot of players need a year with Poch.
- Now is completely different, we are in a very good position to push on, secure 4th (or even better), the Kane situation is exactly what we feared (we are exposed, and Njie's injury has just made it worse). A short term proven solution makes much more sense now ..

For us or them?

- In summer for us, I could see why we wouldn't make a move. We ideally would have been looking for an upcoming player who would develop over time, better second half of season, even better next year (seems a lot of players need a year with Poch.
- Now is completely different, we are in a very good position to push on, secure 4th (or even better), the Kane situation is exactly what we feared (we are exposed, and Njie's injury has just made it worse). A short term proven solution makes much more sense now ..

I was talking about us...

Disagree about our situation. Kane has proven to himself, the club and the world that he's not a one season wonder. Son has settled in nicely and Clinton looks promising. Clinton wasn't a like for like replacement for Kane at any point so his injury, though unfortunate, doesn't change our situation heavily towards signing a Austin type striker.

I wouldn't mind Austin, if Poch, Mitchell etc think he's a very good fit. But I struggle to see how they could think that and not have made a move in the summer. Perhaps we did and the price has now come down to an acceptable level, if so I would be quite happy to see him come in. But nothing has changed about our situation to where we need to go for someone that Poch, Mitchell etc do not think is a very good fit.

I was talking about us...

Disagree about our situation. Kane has proven to himself, the club and the world that he's not a one season wonder. Son has settled in nicely and Clinton looks promising. Clinton wasn't a like for like replacement for Kane at any point so his injury, though unfortunate, doesn't change our situation heavily towards signing a Austin type striker.

I wouldn't mind Austin, if Poch, Mitchell etc think he's a very good fit. But I struggle to see how they could think that and not have made a move in the summer. Perhaps we did and the price has now come down to an acceptable level, if so I would be quite happy to see him come in. But nothing has changed about our situation to where we need to go for someone that Poch, Mitchell etc do not think is a very good fit.

- the worry about Kane is our dependence on him

- I really worry about that last statement, its al very well to be strategic in vision, to have a long term plan, to build to a bright future ... but sometimes you have to be pragmatic, do something very short term for the here and now. Lets say the choices came down to Austin or the guy from Barca (20yr old), the Barca guy may be exactly the mold for a Poch/Mitchell type buy, but we all know he won't do fudge all to help us get 4th/3rd this season. Austin could be a 8-10M insurance buy, that makes sure we don't fudge up this season.

I am with Raz on this in that I think that Austin would be a good backup for Kane in terms of being able to play as a true no 9 for all of the reasons that he has listed. He's a different option to the other alternatives that we currently have for Kane. I would imagine that he would be inexpensive and also would be accepting of the fact that he would have to earn his place. For those reasons, I think we would be stupid not to consider him as an option for the remainder of this season.

Having said all of that, I would also assume that Poch, Mitchell and Levy have considered that option and, if in the end we don't sign anybody, I would accept that. It may not make sense to me, but I will accept it on the basis that I firmly believe that it is an option that we have considered and if we don't do it, I am sure it will be for good reasons.

- the worry about Kane is our dependence on him

- I really worry about that last statement, its al very well to be strategic in vision, to have a long term plan, to build to a bright future ... but sometimes you have to be pragmatic, do something very short term for the here and now. Lets say the choices came down to Austin or the guy from Barca (20yr old), the Barca guy may be exactly the mold for a Poch/Mitchell type buy, but we all know he won't do fudge all to help us get 4th/3rd this season. Austin could be a 8-10M insurance buy, that makes sure we don't fudge up this season.

I'm not against buying a squad player like that, all I'm saying is that it doesn't look likely and that not signing Austin makes quite a lot of sense too from my perspective.

You say "insurance buy". But what does signing him actually insure? Probably makes it slightly more likely that we get a top 4 finish, but it would guarantee it by any stretch of the imagination. I often think the bookies have a decent grasp of such probabilities. Would we expect the bookies to adjust the odds of us finishing in the top 4 by much if we signed Austin tomorrow? I would have thought so. Or rather... How much more likely do you think it is that we finish in the top 4 with Austin compared to without any new signing or with a signing like Sandro Ramirez or Moussa Dembele the second?

4 possible outcomes talking about a top 4 finish and Austin: (1) We get 4th without Austin, (2) we don't sign him and don't get 4th , (3) we get 4th after signing Austin or (4) we don't get 4th even after signing Austin. All of those are probabilistic and the probabilities probably change a bit with the signing, but how much is the question?

Only outcome 3 makes Austin a clear value for money buy. Outcome 1 and 4 it wouldn't have done much for us. £10m is a significant amount of money for us considering that we pretty much break even with our net spend each season and will be likely to continue to do so whilst building our stadium. There's also potentially a considerable opportunity cost with not signing someone that will be better for us long term. A lot of our success has been with the long term moves we've made in the transfer market and someone like Sandro, Berahino or Dembele migh be the next one. Could make us a lot stronger next season. Again if outcome 3 is a lot more likely that probably outweighs the cost and opportunity cost, but for me it has to become more likely by some margin for that to be the case.

I would also be careful with conclusions like Sandro won't do fudge all to help us this season. Again a probabilistic way of looking at it seems superior.

There's also a chance that Austin doesn't work out and actually decreases our chances of getting 4th. Perhaps Son as a striker would actually have made it more likely that we get the necessary results... Austin's PL success came largely at a counter attacking, very poor QPR side playing as their main man and next to a very powerful striker in Zamora. His situation with us will be very different. And I don't think we can discount him being another Lambert at Liverpool type signing.

Back