• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League group stage rules

Dean Lewin

Paul Mahorn
Hi all,

If Spurs & Real Madrid finish with 13 points for example, do we finish top because of the head to head results. Or is it goal difference? I've been googling but couldn't find this info.

Many thanks.

Hi all,

If Spurs & Real Madrid finish with 13 points for example, do we finish top because of the head to head results. Or is it goal difference? I've been googling but couldn't find this info.

Many thanks.
  • a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to l) apply;
  • f. superior goal difference in all group matches;
  • g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  • h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  • i. higher number of wins in all group matches;
  • j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
  • k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points); l. higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

• a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  • e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to l) apply;
  • f. superior goal difference in all group matches;
  • g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  • h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  • i. higher number of wins in all group matches;
  • j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
  • k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points); l. higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

So we're getting Bayern because we haven't bribed FIFA accordingly?

Basically we only need to beat the Cypriots at home to win the group as we beat Real.

There is no need to send out the first team to Dortmund

Basically we only need to beat the Cypriots at home to win the group as we beat Real.

"ONLY beat Apoel". That will not be a walk in the park. They will be fighting to get third place (which would be a huge success for them), so they will be highly motivated to get a result!
Any hint of complacency, and we could be in trouble!

"ONLY beat Apoel". That will not be a walk in the park. They will be fighting to get third place (which would be a huge success for them), so they will be highly motivated to get a result!
Any hint of complacency, and we could be in trouble!

Ha didn’t mean it like that.

But given the group we would have all taken that.

Dortmund have been delightfully brick

I dont think this will happen, and neither should it. Poch has played a strong side many times before when expected to play a weaker team and I dont envisage him to view going away to Dortmund as an opportunity to play some form of reserve side and bank on beating Apoel. As poor as Dortmund have been it wont be easy at their place, and Apoel drew with them away so anything can happen....

I dont think this will happen, and neither should it. Poch has played a strong side many times before when expected to play a weaker team and I dont envisage him to view going away to Dortmund as an opportunity to play some form of reserve side and bank on beating Apoel. As poor as Dortmund have been it wont be easy at their place, and Apoel drew with them away so anything can happen....
I think some clever rotation is called for.

Kane and Alderweireld with muscle injuries in recent weeks...

Time for some Alex Ferguson 'injuries' for the international break, especially as they are pointless friendlies.

I know some players like playing for their country, but as a club we need to do this more often. As you say SAF wouldnt think twice of having a key player 'conveniently' injured for a friendly

Why should we send out a weaken side for a Champs League game,got a guts full of this last week against the spammers ,what other competition are we saving the players for,i don't think Poch will do it anyway but if he does it against Apoel and gets his fingers burnt he be ripped apart by everyone.

Its the Champs League not the Coconut Cup or what ever!!

Back