• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 23/24

Some serious sticklers for the rules here eh. This is why we have referees not fudging robots to make some sensible decisions.

Pro football doesn’t need sensible decisions, it needs correct and consistent ones. The rules are everything, they are football, if they are not applied correctly everything else is undermined. That’s the framework of the game.

In a kids game there is no way I’m giving anything there, but at this level, it has to be given.

It's like a few years ago when we were playing Utd, Gomes fudged up thinking we had a free out and put the ball on the ground only for Nani to run in and score. There was no let off for a school boy mistake there, same should apply to all situations.

The great moments in football are great because they happen inside the rules.

If making a silly mistake excuses breaching them then nothing is special any more.

It's like a few years ago when we were playing Utd, Gomes fudged up thinking we had a free out and put the ball on the ground only for Nani to run in and score. There was no let off for a school boy mistake there, same should apply to all situations.

Wasn't it also the referee fudging up by missing what was a blatant handball by Nani if play had indeed not been stopped? He literally had his hand on the ball after the Comes incident.

I shudder to think about the times of always getting fudged over by Utd / Ref combos. It warms my spirit how mediocre they are (compared to how good they were whilst being aided by Howard Webb plus every other terrified referee not wanting to incur Ferguson's wrath). I digress, should have been a penalty for handball, don't know how it is even a discussion. Saka's was more nuanced, if anything it looks like him kicking the keeper, it's manufactured contact and I'm not a fan of it.

Andreas Christensen just scored what could be the winner for Barca on his birthday. I do love a birthday goal

Wasn't it also the referee fudging up by missing what was a blatant handball by Nani if play had indeed not been stopped? He literally had his hand on the ball after the Comes incident.

I shudder to think about the times of always getting fudged over by Utd / Ref combos. It warms my spirit how mediocre they are (compared to how good they were whilst being aided by Howard Webb plus every other terrified referee not wanting to incur Ferguson's wrath). I digress, should have been a penalty for handball, don't know how it is even a discussion. Saka's was more nuanced, if anything it looks like him kicking the keeper, it's manufactured contact and I'm not a fan of it.
Yes, Nani handled the ball, but the ref didn't blow because the ball went through to Gomes.

Julian Brandt was exceptional for Dortmund second half. Such a good player, unlucky not to get the equaliser with the last touch of the game.

Yes, Nani handled the ball, but the ref didn't blow because the ball went through to Gomes.

Intentional handball = Yellow card. That's the rule isn't it?

Things aren't always clear cut but without rewatching it, I don't think it was Gomes' rooster up. It was poor communication from the ref and Utd benefited from it, it made sense for Nani to take advantage of it, 99% of players would have done the same. I guess now VAR would have ruled it out for an obvious handball though, which should have been the case way back when.

I've potentially waded in to a discussion late on without fully getting the gist of it / how it links to recent events, I just feel like that was complete flimflam and it still irks me!

Intentional handball = Yellow card. That's the rule isn't it?

Things aren't always clear cut but without rewatching it, I don't think it was Gomes' rooster up. It was poor communication from the ref and Utd benefited from it, it made sense for Nani to take advantage of it, 99% of players would have done the same. I guess now VAR would have ruled it out for an obvious handball though, which should have been the case way back when.

I've potentially waded in to a discussion late on without fully getting the gist of it / how it links to recent events, I just feel like that was complete flimflam and it still irks me!
Ref didn't blow for a free, he played advantage. One of the earliest things told when playing football is to play to the whistle.

Wouldn't be a lot better game if there weren't freekicks or penalties given when highly paid players make mistakes, scrap these draconian rules and rely on the word of the players that they're sorry and wont do it again.

Ref didn't blow for a free, he played advantage. One of the earliest things told when playing football is to play to the whistle.

I don't recall seeing a clear gesture of advantage either.

The actions of both players, Nani handling the ball and Gomes dropping the ball afterwards suggested that they (alongside everyone else in the stadium) were under the impression that play had stopped. It may potentially have been a dive from Nani iirc, so advantage was yet another bad decision.

Not sure if the ref was your mate or something, you're doing anything other then blaming him for the incident but it was a clusterfudge caused by a lack of communication from the referee. He may literally just have not been paying attention to the game for all I know. But now, with the safety net of VAR, you'd think the goal would've been ruled out for a clear handball.

Edit - I would be interested in hearing why the Arsenal incident wasn't reviewed by VAR... A really strange one from the players involved as well as the refs..

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing a clear gesture of advantage either.

The actions of both players, Nani handling the ball and Gomes dropping the ball afterwards suggested that they (alongside everyone else in the stadium) were under the impression that play had stopped. It may potentially have been a dive from Nani iirc, so advantage was yet another bad decision.

Not sure if the ref was your mate or something, you're doing anything other then blaming him for the incident but it was a clusterfudge caused by a lack of communication from the referee. He may literally just have not been paying attention to the game for all I know. But now, with the safety net of VAR, you'd think the goal would've been ruled out for a clear handball.

Edit - I would be interested in hearing why the Arsenal incident wasn't reviewed by VAR... A really strange one from the players involved as well as the refs..
Not sure if Gomes is your mate or something, you're doing anything other than blaming him for the incident. Can disagree with who was to blame without such stupid and childish comments.

Not sure if Gomes is your mate or something, you're doing anything other than blaming him for the incident. Can disagree with who was to blame without such stupid and childish comments.

...Ok? It meant as a joke but if you've taken it as a dig then sorry about that!

Gomes does feel like a mate so perhaps I'm biased, at this stage I'm just repeating myself but the ref wasn't clear in communication and missed a blatant intentional handball (that the player only did because they also thought that play had been stopped). If a ref gives advantage and then the team receiving advantage loses possession, then it's called back to the foul. In this situation, if advantage was called, then we lost the ball as soon as Gomes placed the ball on the ground so why wasn't it brought back?

It's a genuinely intriguing situation, I'm not looking to bicker about it, it just doesn't add up. Playing to the whistle would have helped, I'm not disagreeing with that, but it doesn't remove the multiple issues that the ref caused.

Back