• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Celtic Fans

Being part of the UK is irrelevant. As far as FIFA is concerned, we are four different countries.

The Welsh clubs playing in England is NOT a precedent. Completely different circumstances.

Scotland classed as a country, Wales a principality, I believe, makes the difference.

Not really.

Sure, there are loads of Scottish and Irish ex pats or second / third generation fans around the world. But, in global terms, their number is but a drop in the ocean.

They also have a massive fan base in Scotland, of course. But they play in the SPL. And the world isn't remotely interested in the SPL. So other than temporarily, because of a player like Nakamura, for instance, Celtic don't attract significant support in Asia, Europe or Africa.

By contrast, Spurs play in the Premier League - the most popular domestic league in world football, which enjoys a phenomenal global profile. And Spurs is one of the biggest and most exciting of Premier League clubs. Our global fan base is consequently growing rapidly.

They are bigger than you think Jimmy. They are a 2nd club to practically every Irish person and the extended diaspora, not to mention how many Scots. Just ask Robbie Keane!! It's hard to say who has the biggest extended following but if they ever got into the PL their fan base would be considerable.

I know that Celtic are a very big club with a very big fan base.

I'm not even claiming that Spurs are the bigger club. I was merely disputing the claim that Celtic are a "much bigger" club, worldwide, than Spurs is.

The thing is that, for all that Celtic attracts support from many of those with Irish descent around the world, the Irish diaspora can be counted in the tens of millions. And that, in global terms, is but a drop in the ocean.

The numbers of those around the world who are passionate about the Premier League, by contrast, can be counted in billions. Spurs benefit greatly from that profile - especially since they are one of the most exciting, entertaining, biggest and best of Premier League clubs. It's a profile that Celtic, and the SPL, cannot match.

All ifs and buts. Until England lets Celtic in they just to accept they are small fry. Like a fun size Mars bar.

Makes me laugh when people say that if Rangers & Celtic were in the Premiership with English TV money they'd be easily top half...based on what? Saudi Sportswashing Machine have a big stadium, big fan base, loud, partisan home support and a lot of money but they're 17th! All those things mean fudge all you need a well run club with good manager and quality players.

Makes me laugh when people say that if Rangers & Celtic were in the Premiership with English TV money they'd be easily top half...based on what? Saudi Sportswashing Machine have a big stadium, big fan base, loud, partisan home support and a lot of money but they're 17th! All those things mean fudge all you need a well run club with good manager and quality players.

I think its like buying a house, all about location location location.

Players will go to London because it is London. Manchester is a big, vibrant city, overtaking Birmingham as the country's second city. Liverpool is close enough to be part of that general region I think.

I think there is the potential to develop another monster club in Birmingham but everywhere else is too far off the beaten track.

Celtic have a large fan base and it is true that a lot of the second generation + irish have them at least of their second club. But how much money does that really generate? Celtic fans are colourful, copious and noisy but so are Boca fans. Just depends what part of the world you live in.

I think its like buying a house, all about location location location.

Players will go to London because it is London. Manchester is a big, vibrant city, overtaking Birmingham as the country's second city. Liverpool is close enough to be part of that general region I think.

I think there is the potential to develop another monster club in Birmingham but everywhere else is too far off the beaten track.

Celtic have a large fan base and it is true that a lot of the second generation + irish have them at least of their second club. But how much money does that really generate? Celtic fans are colourful, copious and noisy but so are Boca fans. Just depends what part of the world you live in.

Totally agree I'm Irish and like you say yes sort of see celtic as 'second team' but in all honesty what does that mean? I look at their results every now and again loose I don't cry win don't really care either just have a soft spot as far as the main part of the conversation goes..... Think I have one celtic shirt and I bought that in sports world at massively reduced price. I grew up in Kilburn and most people their as I grew up were celtic fans but in all honesty most were more
Crazy about arsenal spurs and qpr all on their doorsteps. No Chelsea. Just saying.

I like the look of Victor Wanyama. Built like a brick brick house but his touch and vision impressed me in their European escapades. Now that I google him I can see Arsenal, Liverpool and Southampton linked to him. I think he is gonna be a star.

Back