• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Celtic Fans

May aswell chuck over the successful Irish clubs why we are at it then?

Are they part of the UK, have they built 60k+ stadiums, and achieved European sucess despite of their relatively weak domestic league?

The precedent is there with Cardiff and Swansea for non-English clubs in UK tbf.

To be fair, the quality in the premiership is not that elite, I have no doubts they'd be around 7th-9th in their first season especially with the novelty of a new challenge and big home support. I think the main argument would be with the huge increase in tv money and sell out crowds each week, theyd rise to the top and its hard to argue against that which is why they'll never be allowed in.

The original comment compares Wigan (3rd bottom) and Spurs (5th) to Celtic. Celtic fan suggests their team would have both in their pocket, there's a big difference between 17th and 5th over a season. Spurs just beat the reigning champions while Celtic lost to Ross County. That's delusion.

The argument about why they should not be allowed in is twofold. One it kills the domestic league in Scotland, and 2 why should they start in the top division in England. Neither of which are hard to argue against at all. The other clubs in Scotland depend(ed) on Celtic and Rangers as the main draw in their TV deals and their attendances, as well as being top of the food chain for buying domestic players. With Rangers gone, but coming back in time, it leaves Celtic as a medium sized fish in a smaller pond. They haven't done anything to deserve a place in the top English league, as well as not actually being English (the Welsh teams were invited in at a time when the leagues were being formed and Wales as a whole couldn't sustain a league of its own), and joining a new league puts teams who have earned their way into the division under threat. Sorry, no Playoffs this year because Celtic are taking your place. That's a whole season down the tubes.

Are they part of the UK, have they built 60k+ stadiums, and achieved European sucess despite of their relatively weak domestic league?

The precedent is there with Cardiff and Swansea for non-English clubs in UK tbf.

Urgh. It's not a precedent at all. Read about why those teams, and Wrexham, are allowed in.

Not sure if the Celtic fan regularly watches the PL or has taken this game in isolation. They would not walk the PL, but don't most agree the PL standard has been poor this year.
If the popularity and cash that flows into the premier league starts to drop, think thats when
the Scudamore and the clubs may be more receptive to Rangers and Celtic joining

Have a look at Celtics recent record against English Premiership teams.....not too shabby I think you will find. They are a huge club, much bigger worldwide than we are. Unfortunately football fans in general cant have respect for any other club it seems.

Have a look at Celtics recent record against English Premiership teams.....not too shabby I think you will find. They are a huge club, much bigger worldwide than we are. Unfortunately football fans in general cant have respect for any other club it seems.

One off cup games ? anyone can win, they beat Barca ffs, that mean they are better ? lol. Huge club ? yeah in name only. Much bigger worldwide ? In the past yeah, but still very well known, means fudge all. We do have respect, but not for the deluded.

Except Celtic fans remember what it's like to win stuff (albeit gifted to them by the SFA).

That's how Liverpool fans think it should be as well. Liverpool should just have turn and everyone else would simply bow down to their superiority.

It's similar to how Championship teams occasionally knock PL sides out of the cup. They compensate for their lack of skill by running around like madmen, while the other side aren't properly motivated. Celtic's performances in the CL are some of the worst football you'll ever see. It's the epitome of parking the bus.

It's similar to how Championship teams occasionally knock PL sides out of the cup. They compensate for their lack of skill by running around like madmen, while the other side aren't properly motivated. Celtic's performances in the CL are some of the worst football you'll ever see. It's the epitome of parking the bus.

I don't think that is fair to say. I've seen them play some fairly decent stuff against good opposition in the CL. Yes they are raising their game and compensating with a bit more effort but they do try to play attractive football.

For me they are mid to lower PL standard when motivated, which is happening less often now that Rangers are out of the picture.

The important point is that Uefa are satified with how the arrangement works under the current system.

The football league predates UEFA by nearly 60 years. Cardiff and Swansea predate UEFA by 40/50 years. UEFA had no choice but to accept it.

These teams were invited in during formation of the league, at a time when the English FA wielded so much power it was not possible for FIFA/UEFA to do anything about it.

This is the key when using the Welsh teams as an example for Celtic and Rangers.

We'd beat Celtic like I beat my nob. Hard, fast and with nothing but lillywhite left at the end.

Always makes me laugh when they try and compare themselves to top English teams. To be honest I think they'd be in the relgation zone.

Celtic and ranger were to enter premiership with English tv money they'd be top half no doubt.

obviously they'd struggle with the initial gulf in quality if they were to move to the premiership. but long term they'd have everything needed to become one of the elite clubs - it'd be a huge kick in the gonad*s for ourselves should they ever be allowed to make the switch.

Being part of the UK is irrelevant. As far as FIFA is concerned, we are four different countries.

The Welsh clubs playing in England is NOT a precedent. Completely different circumstances.

Not really.

Sure, there are loads of Scottish and Irish ex pats or second / third generation fans around the world. But, in global terms, their number is but a drop in the ocean.

They also have a massive fan base in Scotland, of course. But they play in the SPL. And the world isn't remotely interested in the SPL. So other than temporarily, because of a player like Nakamura, for instance, Celtic don't attract significant support in Asia, Europe or Africa.

By contrast, Spurs play in the Premier League - the most popular domestic league in world football, which enjoys a phenomenal global profile. And Spurs is one of the biggest and most exciting of Premier League clubs. Our global fan base is consequently growing rapidly.

That's a seperate argument though. If Celtic or Rangers were in the EPL they would surely be a bigger draw for quality players than Wigan, Stoke, WBA etc. the stadiums, the city, global fanbase, history are all bigger and better than what those clubs can offer. Of course they would need to rebuild their squads to EPL standard.

I don't see why. Why would they be bigger draws/more equipped to succeed in the EPL than say the two Sheffield teams, or the two Bristol teams? All three have populations not far off the 500,000 mark and no other EPL team anywhere near by.

Back