• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carroll to start over Parker at Swansea?

Definitely play Carroll ahead of Pirouette Parker.

What on earth is going on here? Carroll is a great pass and move player, and that is what we are badly lacking.

zkU6MDz.jpg

Any chance of getting the equivalent up for Parker and Dembele?

Or an opinion.

Not looking to start an arguement but interested what makes you think that... I have seen Carroll play a good few times for reserves/u21s and now first team and more often than not impresses.. In my opinion he is one of the more likely young players to make it at Spurs..

no to the thread title

maybe he could replace demebele? after all he needs a rest and AVB wouldnt think about flogging a horse till its lame now would he? He should also get the whole squad involved

Re-watching the Lazio game, I noticed that Carroll stilled seemed hesitant to pass riskily - he often passed it straight back or backwards, which I believe is due to his worry about losing possession - but also showed a level of technique in his passing that too few of his teammates (can?) emulate. That is, he cushions even his safe/non-attacking passes slightly ahead of the player so they can take it in stride without needing another touch to control it, thus maintaining forward momentum. It's something Modric and VdV could do, but our other players will usually zip it hard to feet if they're not purposefully playing an attacking pass. I'm not saying that Carroll does this every single time, just more often than the rest.

I've often believed that we're just not that technically advanced when it comes to the passing part alone, forget the moving or the creativity part. The technical contrast between our passing and United's is pretty stark, even though it's a tiny difference. Things like precision and weighting and timing of the pass are absolutely CRUCIAL, it's not just about the possession or accuracy or even forward/backward figures. For example Dembele and Parker probably have 90+% accuracy but how many of their passes are quick one-touch passes? And we haven't even gotten to talking about the intelligence and imagination aspects yet!

It's possible Carroll will never make it here, but that's not a conversation that's useful at this crisis stage. The question is does he offer something we lack at this point in time, and can that something make up for his deficiencies? I think so, because we are so deficient right now in things like quick throughballs and quick, lively pass-and-moving in general. We'd need to play a three-man midfield that can shield him, encouraging him to take more risks and shoulder more creative responsibility, but I actually think the three-man mid is better for Dembele too, because his dribbling ability and powerful runs are more useful in the final third and because he's starting to look exhausted.

Finally, Carroll actually has some semblance of energy in him because he hasn't played all season and will be eager to impress. We need that freshness in this run-in or we WILL get dragged down by our own mental fatigue, to say nothing of the physical.

Definitely play Carroll ahead of Pirouette Parker.

What on earth is going on here? Carroll is a great pass and move player, and that is what we are badly lacking.

Parker has lost his legs, which was the only thing he really had going for him. The man can barely make a tackle without fouling nowadays. Stick Carroll in and have Moussa playing the DM role. Dembele is basically doing the work of two men in our current midfield.

I love carroll think the boy has something and he has never seemed scared when getting thrown in, the lad has quality. Townsend should still be at the club because we need him to rotate his fresh legs and spark.

Why oh fudging why did we loan out most of our reserve midfield????????????

Carroll won't make it at Spurs. As much as I'd love it.

I don't disagree actually. I think he might be a Vinny Samways type player for us - clearly talented whilst not exceptional, around for a few years mainly understudying before dropping down the table or going abroad.

An interesting thing is asking Derby fans to compare him to Will Hughes. Hughes is 3 or 4 years younger than Carroll, but was getting selected ahead of him purely on ability (not any owned player bias). They say passing wise there wasn't much between them, but that Hughes just moved so much better with the ball.

Re-watching the Lazio game, I noticed that Carroll stilled seemed hesitant to pass riskily .

That's why I feel today against Fulham can be a breakthrough for Carroll. As soon as he did the dribble past 2-3 players, it looked like he got a belief in himself that we haven't seen from him before.
He started to run the game, tried more throughballs and you could just see on his body language that he had faith in what he was doing out there.

I don't disagree actually. I think he might be a Vinny Samways type player for us - clearly talented whilst not exceptional, around for a few years mainly understudying before dropping down the table or going abroad.

An interesting thing is asking Derby fans to compare him to Will Hughes. Hughes is 3 or 4 years younger than Carroll, but was getting selected ahead of him purely on ability (not any owned player bias). They say passing wise there wasn't much between them, but that Hughes just moved so much better with the ball.

Will Hughes is an awesome player though :) And he gets a lot of corresponding hype. Carroll is totally unknown outside of Spurs fans.

I just don't think there's much point in comparing him to other clubs' players atm, the question's whether he's better than *our* options right now. Our academy players are well versed in the basics of pass and move, I can't even see that in our senior players though I acknowledge the level is far more difficult.

Will Hughes is an awesome player though :) And he gets a lot of corresponding hype. Carroll is totally unknown outside of Spurs fans.

I just don't think there's much point in comparing him to other clubs' players atm, the question's whether he's better than *our* options right now. Our academy players are well versed in the basics of pass and move, I can't even see that in our senior players though I acknowledge the level is far more difficult.

They have a young player down at derby as well called bennett we should look at doing a similar deal that we did with forest for reid and dawson with the two young english lads at derby.

I've not seen Carroll today, but I'll hazard a guess that the team were that flat, void of ideas and couldnt give a brick, that Carroll may have stood out, heck even Livermore may have looked decent today.

If you were not at the Lane today then you obviously do not realise how many times Parker gave the ball away today, he was shocking

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Bale:::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::
Bale:::: Bale::::::::::Bale:::: Bale
Bale:::::: Bale:::::::::: Bale:::::::::BALE
::::::::::::::::::::::::::Bale:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::Bale:::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::

This

I thought he played well and was trying difficult through balls when Fulham were quite deep.

The one passage of play that sticks in my head was 70-75 min mark when Dempsey had ball in the fulham third and he had chance to try to play Defoe (and I think there was a second Spurs player on the shoulder of another defender) and instead turned and played the ball backwards. I wished atnthebtime that Carroll had had that opportunity, as I think he would have at least attempted a through ball.

no to the thread title

maybe he could replace demebele? after all he needs a rest and AVB wouldnt think about flogging a horse till its lame now would he? He should also get the whole squad involved

I agree with this Dembele is the one to "rest".

We had zero creativity in midfield until this kid came on

Were fudged then if we are relying on Carroll to give us creativity. I'd guess at most Spurs fans wetting themselves at a completed pass or something like that, heck even Holtby is supposed to be class because of a few run about games.

Carroll is decidedly average and I worry that we play him.

Were fudged then if we are relying on Carroll to give us creativity. I'd guess at most Spurs fans wetting themselves at a completed pass or something like that, heck even Holtby is supposed to be class because of a few run about games.

Carroll is decidedly average and I worry that we play him.

The reason people want to see Carroll or Holtby, is not because of the incisiveness of their passing. Rather their decision making in playing the pass and helping the attacking flow of the game is superior to Parker's. Besides, Parker has all but lost the defensive side of the game, which is what we needed him for. You might as well stick some fresher legs who can pass in there.

Back