• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carroll to start over Parker at Swansea?

Carroll was the only player today in a Tottenham shirt who seemed to realise that this was not a friendly and we should probably put in at least a modicum of effort. Probably our best player and even he was quite wasteful, but as pointed out by the OP, at least he wanted to move the ball with fewer than 5 touches, and at least he tried to create SOMETHING.

I dont think it would be fair to throw Carroll in at such a crucial time as this as his inexperience will show and he'll quickly get slated if he starts costing us points. I like him and think hes a decent player but without Parkers defensive work we'll get completly overrun. Thought when Holtby joined that Carroll would be the one to lose out though so maybe AVB thinks differently.

He made 2 defensive tackles today and the rest of the game he was either missing, bombing forward when he should have stayed back and let better players get on with it or giving the ball away when a simple pass was on. He never plays a bleeding obvious pass, dithers and then makes the bleeding obvious pass when that player has been marked. Dembele seems to have caught the same pirouetting disease.

Carroll was ok when he came on, if you look at his stats, they're pretty bad/below average...

Or - our forwards didn't quite get on to his two fantastic threaded balls, whereas no one else attempted anything as daring as a defence splitting pass.

Carroll was the only player today in a Tottenham shirt who seemed to realise that this was not a friendly and we should probably put in at least a modicum of effort. Probably our best player and even he was quite wasteful, but as pointed out by the OP, at least he wanted to move the ball with fewer than 5 touches, and at least he tried to create SOMETHING.

I agree, but the Swanse game will be a completely different scenario than what we just were up against.

Carroll was ok when he came on, if you look at his stats, they're pretty bad/below average...

What would those stats be if you have access to them?

If you don't mind, if you're talking about passes completed stats could include stats about passes in/into the final third and those passes that were not into the final third?

zkU6MDz.jpg

Looking at things in the long run, I would give Carroll a start against Swansea, as I think we need a fully fit Parker for Everton and Emirates Marketing Project home games and Chel$ea away?

Cheers.

Assuming that pass completion was what glenroyid was talking about this is a very good example of just how silly the pass completion stat is in isolation.

Looking at the map above, assuming that it's accurate (not all stats or maps like that are), he misplaced one pass outside the final third. One fudging pass. The rest of the passes he misplaced were into the final third, most of them into the box. Passes that will always be high risk and marginal. And those kinds of marginal passes are needed at least occasionally when you're chasing a game.

Yet people will look at, and argue based on, the pass completion stat alone as if it means something. Not saying that this is what you did glenroyid btw, if there was some other stat you were talking about please post that stat instead. This is more a general rant aimed at the general tendency to talk about pass completion in isolation.

He made 2 defensive tackles today and the rest of the game he was either missing, bombing forward when he should have stayed back and let better players get on with it or giving the ball away when a simple pass was on. He never plays a bleeding obvious pass, dithers and then makes the bleeding obvious pass when that player has been marked. Dembele seems to have caught the same pirouetting disease.

I think the fact our team was playing with limited width against a 10 man defense wouldnt help either of them. He didnt really have to make tackles today as Fulham were quite defensive even at 0 0. Against Swansea, we'll need him more as they'll have a lot of the ball.

yes

Parker seems to take on the creative role when played alongside Dembele which quite frankly he is fudging useless at so id much rather see Carroll in there who showed more ingenuity in his cameo today than Parker ever has for us.

Exactly the problem with Parker is not that he a limited player, its that he's a limited player who thinks he's steven gerrard or someone

You say it as a matter of fact - he won't make it. Very emphatic, and I'm surprised you think so.

I have fans of other teams telling me what a good player he looks which I don't usually get when it comes to up and coming players. Why don't you think he'll make it?

Back