• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carrick - Would he get in ahead of Dembele, Sandro?

Sandro and Carrick to hold, and Dembele unleashed. Holtby could come on as sub for any of that trio.

Could he do what Sandro does for us? No. Not even close.

We seem to thrive with a Destroyer in the middle, looking back to last year when we came fourth, and this year when we are currently on track to come fourth (sort of).

Which footballer would i rather have in our side? Sandro.

But Carrick doesn't need to destroy - he's much cleaverer than that. He's an intercepting DM in the mould of Guardiola, Redondo, Pirlo and Senna.

But Carrick doesn't need to destroy - he's much cleaverer than that. He's an intercepting DM in the mould of Guardiola, Redondo, Pirlo and Senna.

This. I'd swap anyone currently at Spurs (except Bale) for Carrick.

Had we kept him, I believe this would be at least our 3rd season in a row in the CL, if not more.

Honestly can't see what Carrick does better defensively than Sandro. Sandro tackles and intercepts more.

Here are some stats.

Sandro averaged 3.6 intercepts per game this season and Carrick averages 2.4 intercepts per game this season in the PL.

Sandro averaged 3.3 tackles per game this season and Carrick averages 2.3 tackles per game this season in the PL.

So what does Carrick do as this 'intercepting DM' that makes him superior?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2115

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/68890

Last edited:
Honestly can't see what Carrick does better defensively than Sandro. Sandro tackles and intercepts more.

Here are some stats.

Sandro averaged 3.6 intercepts per game this season and Carrick averages 2.4 intercepts per game this season in the PL.

Sandro averaged 3.3 tackles per game this season and Carrick averages 2.3 tackles per game this season in the PL.

So what does Carrick do as this 'intercepting DM' that makes him superior?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2115

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/68890

Players might not attempt a pass if there's an opposition player positioned in the right place.

Players might not attempt a pass if there's an opposition player positioned in the right place.

In the match at The Lane, he always seemed to be there or thereabouts whenever we threatened, quietly ushering the attacking player into a less dangerous position. Thought he did his job fantastically. T'was very annoying.

This. I'd swap anyone currently at Spurs (except Bale) for Carrick.

Had we kept him, I believe this would be at least our 3rd season in a row in the CL, if not more.

how on earth do you come to that conclusion? we had modric previous seasons and he's superior to carrick, so im not sure what you're basing your comments on.. i think we got rid of him at the right time and for the right price.

-----------------Lloris------------------
Walker----Kaboul---Vertonghen--BAE
-----------Sandro----Carrick----------
Lennon---------Bale------------Holtby
--------------Defoe/Adebayor---------

Holtby and Bale switching.

Carrick is awesome and the most under rated English player of the last generation. The England team should have been built around him in the center with either Lampard or Gerrard beside/in front

ahead of one of them yes. but not sure which

depending on how we decide to play i think the player he would oust is dembele.

sandro is just too good defensively. and carrick is a better ball player then dembele

how on earth do you come to that conclusion? we had modric previous seasons and he's superior to carrick, so im not sure what you're basing your comments on.. i think we got rid of him at the right time and for the right price.

Different positions entirely - he'd play instead of Parker.

I really rate Carrick but want to play devils advocate here if I may. I wonder how many united fans would consider Dembele ahead of Carrick.

Carrick strengths:
Vision
Passing
Positioning

Dembele strengths:
Dribbling
Strength
Positioning
Tackle

Dembele could and should have a much better scoring return then he does.

Again Demeble's league record in a spurs shirt should not be sniffed at. I think it's something like:

Won 13
Drawn 5
Lost 1

And that loss was Everton when we were winning when he went off.

His defensive abilities make him a massive player for us. His distribution isn't fantastic, but his dribbling strengths opens new spaces and completely changes the dynamic of our attack.

He certainly lacks what Modric and Carrick have, that ability to switch our play, keep the ball ticking, and being generally integral to our play. But he has brought with him many strengths to our midfield.

Carrick above Dembele. Dembele is vastly overrated. He has a brick shot and his passing isn't that great. However he is a super dribbler and his defensive work is excellent.

Based on current form I'd put Carrick ahead of Dembele. I wouldn't compare him to Sandro.

I can agree with this.

In fact it's more to do with consistency. Carrick seems to be more consistent than Dembele.

Though when Dembele is at his best he far outshines Carrick.

That's because they play in completely different positions in midfield

Then why are we even having a discussion about whether Carrick would get in before Sandro?

He just wouldn't, because he plays in the wrong position, whatever that is.

Back