• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Cain Hoy takeover

Actually, Cain Hoy have now apparently announced that they are no longer considering a bid.

Sad news. So we're still stuck with ENIC and doubtless years more of underachievement, as we fall deeper into Arsenal's and Chelsea's shadow.

Sad news. So we're still stuck with ENIC and doubtless years more of underachievement, as we fall deeper into Arsenal's and Chelsea's shadow.

We don't know what Cain Hoy's plans for the club would have been. They might have been no improvement on ENIC. They might even have been disastrous for the club.

No point shedding tears imagining a lost future that might never have transpired.

Some great posts and insights throughout this thread it has to be said. On a rather simplistic front (perhaps?) could it not be argued that the club's footballing fortunes (positives and negatives) over the course of ENICs tenure have hinged to quite a large extent on marginal moments which could have gone one way or the other...? Specifically I can think of defeat to Spammers and the food poising debacle, Chelsea undeservedly winning the CL, Bale getting injured during the Europa league game when he was flying, etc... With the exception of the Bale injury which could be looked at as being a cavalier selection approach by AVB, the others were circumstantial and in the case of Chelsea outside ENICs influence.

I wonder how people would be reacting to a takeover if we had qualified for the CL over the past 3 seasons particular when there is a case to say that ENICs ability to directly impact those events was limited.

The flip side to those arguments are that for example the year we finished 4th and didn't qualify for CL due to Chelsea's win was down to ENICs lacking of spending in January and similarly if Moutinho has have come to acute reliance on Bale could have been avoided and as such he could have been rested more and avoided injury.

My point is ENICs "failings"
It could be argued have been self inflicted (I think following the sale of Bale this is 100% true by the way) however prior to last season it could also be argued that circumstances outside of their control determined the fate of the club.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Excellent, well balanced post.

:lol:

Could they not go to European law and state the restriction of letting more people play the game at any one time.. couldn't they say, we have 12 capable of playing.

Its no different, if you don't want to play by the rules of a competition you simply cannot enter the competition or even pick and choose which rules to abide too.

Women's golf is an example whereby women wanted to join the men's tour but were refused by the simple rule that they are women. If there was ever a case that should or could be overturned then that would be it, instead they found a compromise and said.. play by invitation.

Only the teams wanting to cheat the system.. which is about 5 teams, would want to go this route of European laws, they are not even the super heavy weight old G4 clan either and therefore would be chucked out of the competition IMO no quibble if they didn't want to tow the party line. Remember FFP is for the old G4 clan's protection plan.

No one is preventing anyone in Europe from playing a game which involves kicking a spherical object around on a rectangular surface with twelve players aside. Anyone who chooses to do such a thing is absolutely free to do so. Only thing is, they won't be playing Association Football. They'll have to call it something else.

By contrast, UEFA are preventing club (company) owners from investing in their clubs (companies). That breaches European competition law. There is no question about that. Countless legal experts have said as much. At the moment, FFP - which is designed to maintain the status quo with the top clubs at the top and the smaller clubs in their place below - is only hanging together with the cooperation of the clubs. It will only take one club owner with deep pockets to challenge it and it will disintegrate.

Last edited:

P.S. I don't think this would have made a difference with Carrick. The powers that be didn't want him. Isn't the story that Carrick was not offered a new contract in the spring because Comolli had identified an upgrade who was duly bought.

No that isn't the case at all. We had been trying to get Carrick to sit down and discuss a new contract for over 6 months. He was aware of the Man Utd interest however (tappedy, tap, tap!) and refused to even sit down and discuss a new deal with us.

No one is preventing anyone in Europe from playing a game which involves kicking a spherical object around on a rectangular surface with twelve players aside. Anyone who chooses to do such a thing is absolutely free to do so. Only thing is, they won't be playing Association Football. They'll have to call it something else.

By contrast, UEFA are preventing club (company) owners from investing in their clubs (companies). That breaches European competition law. There is no question about that. Countless legal experts have said as much. At the moment, FFP - which is designed to maintain the status quo with the top clubs at the top and the smaller clubs in their place below - is only hanging together with the cooperation of the clubs. It will only take one club owner with deep pockets to challenge it and it will disintegrate.

If a challenge was successful. I have been reading up since we were discussing the other day. The consensus seems to be that whilst there are questions over whether some parts of FFP may be open to a challenge, it is far from certain whether this would be successful.

So either:

a) It was all just a publicity stunt for them.
b) Lewis/Levy/both just want too much money.
c) Lewis/Levy simply do not want to sell.

Very much doubt that it was a publicity stunt.

Cain Hoy are not the kind of company that requires publicity. Their clients / investors will be very rich individuals or institutions - not the general public. Word about Cain Hoy would have reached all the right places regardless, simply on account of the Guggenheim connection and the main players at Cain Hoy.

It seems to be a matter of nothing more than Spurs approaching Cain Hoy as a possible source of stadium finance (leveraged credit is one of Guggenheim's - and Todd Boehly's - specialities) and Cain Hoy seeing an opportunity to investigate the possibility of a takeover instead.

In my admittedly limited experience, the murmurs of take overs and the likes tend to only come about when the selling party makes it clear that they are willing to sell or at least indicates that they might be willing. I won't be surprised if ENIC sell up sometime in the relatively near future.

In my admittedly limited experience, the murmurs of take overs and the likes tend to only come about when the selling party makes it clear that they are willing to sell or at least indicates that they might be willing. I won't be surprised if ENIC sell up sometime in the relatively near future.
I would be surprised if ENIC sell up before they can maximize the sale price. To me that means after the CPO has been sorted out, and when Stadium funding, including naming rights, has been completed. Then they will have a decision to make as to whether the sale price is at its maximum or whether further prudent management by ENIC will be able to make the Club worth even more. If regular CL football can be achieved that would make the club not only more saleable, but also more worth keeping. Unless Lewis and Levy are tired or bored with the whole process, which I doubt, I don't see a sale in the near future, but we shall see.

I would be surprised if ENIC sell up before they can maximize the sale price. To me that means after the CPO has been sorted out, and when Stadium funding, including naming rights, has been completed. Then they will have a decision to make as to whether the sale price is at its maximum or whether further prudent management by ENIC will be able to make the Club worth even more. If regular CL football can be achieved that would make the club not only more saleable, but also more worth keeping. Unless Lewis and Levy are tired or bored with the whole process, which I doubt, I don't see a sale in the near future, but we shall see.

The company I work for has been eaten up by a bigger company who seems to be on a never ending quest to buy up every smaller company on the planet so I've kept a relatively close eye on takeovers and the likes over the past year. Most companies I've read about where another company has declared interest has eventually been sold/bought over. Not necessarily by that company but by someone because if they have taken the time to meet with representatives to discuss, as we did in this case, then they are interested enough to meet with representatives to discuss and that tends to lead to an eventual sale.

This could be a book balancing act by Levy and Lewis. At the start of this all they will have pulled together a plan. They are now at a point where they can probably estimate reasonably accurately what the stadium is going to cost. In their initial plan, they probably factored in being CL regulars by now. They may have indicated that we 'might' be up for sale just to weigh up how much they would get for us right at this moment, verses how much much the stadium is going to cost following the realisation that there's no extra CL money on its way into the bank.

Back