• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captaincy

Who should be the First Team Captain for 2012/13

• Younes Kaboul

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Scott Parker

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Luka Modric

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Rafael Van der Vaart

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Brad Friedel

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • OTHER (Inc current players + potential additions)

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters

AberYid

Steven Caulker
With Ledley King seemingly on his way out of the first team picture, William Gallas unlikely to be a starter, and Michael Dawson on everyone's bench - who do you all see as the Captain for the upcoming season?

I've listed some options here, and will include "Other" in the poll, use this if you think a linked new signing could fill the void.

Younes Kaboul:

Fast becoming our most important player, Younes has grown rapidly over the past 18 months becoming a key, and sometimes quite vocal member of the backline. Does he have the attitude, personality and leadership qualities required?

Scott Parker:

A lot of people had Scotty down to be England captain, he's also one of current manager Harry Redknapp's favourites - and was bought partly because of his lionheart and fearlessness. Could he get the armband? Would him being first choice hinder Sandro?

Luka Modric:
He's worn the armband before under Redknapp, is far from vocal, but so was King. Could Luka lead by example, and would the captaincy bring out the best in him?

Rafael Van der Vaart
One of our few players with the famed 'winning mentality' Rafa has played for two of the biggest clubs in the world, has won trophies, and turns up in the big games - would the added responsibility take him up a level? He seems to love the club, and maybe his passion could spur on the younger guys?

Brad Friedel
The man with all the experience in the game, could his calmness and vocal approach lead us forward from the back?

VDV. Head screwed on. Perfect choice.

I think Parker is a good choice but as the OP says Sandro should be getting more game time this season.

Parker enjoys the captaincy. Depending on how many games Redknapp is planning to use him in I'd go there. VdV seems a decent motivator but he comes off the pitch practically every game and isn't the most vocal. I'm never sure about having your captain too advanced up the pitch as well. It's difficult to tell others to roll up their sleeves when you aren't doing much graft yourself.

The captain should be someone vocal and with a winning mentality. Keane for United springs to mind. But they don't really need the armband to rally the team.

Sandro. Beast.

Only reason I didn't put him on the OP is because of his English - he still speaks through a translator in interviews. However, he may be more confident with the language around his team mates.

Is his English still poor? I was under the impression it might of been okay. Lip-reading through games isn't the best indicator but most people at Spurs think Sandro is the funny man and a real good guy. I suppose you can be all those without speaking proper English though.

And who is that in our squad?

That's someone we've always lacked. Davids, Naybet, Gallas were all brought in to provide a bit of experience and winner's instinct. The only one that comes close for me is Kaboul.

Voted for Kaboul, i guess Parker would be Redknapps choice but i am hoping that Sandro will start ahead of him.

VDV.

I still remember that shot of Modric/Bale arguing like mad at each other in the background with Parker in the foreground strolling away wearing the captain's armband.

Back