• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captaincy

Who should be the First Team Captain for 2012/13

• Younes Kaboul

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Scott Parker

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Luka Modric

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Rafael Van der Vaart

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Brad Friedel

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • OTHER (Inc current players + potential additions)

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
Rafa is the obvious leader of our players.

However, I don't like attacking players as captains.

So I'd give it to Verts - seems to be intelligent, articulate and have a winning mentality. Been captain of Ajax for a while.

Kaboul would be my only other thought, but he just doesn't seem to have the right personality.

Voted Parker, as VDV never finishes 90. Oh, but hang on, neither does Parker, in that case it better be Brad, but I hate goalies as captain.

Rafa is the obvious leader of our players.

However, I don't like attacking players as captains.

So I'd give it to Verts - seems to be intelligent, articulate and have a winning mentality. Been captain of Ajax for a while.

Kaboul would be my only other thought, but he just doesn't seem to have the right personality.

You'd give to a brand new player straight away?

Voted Parker, as VDV never finishes 90. Oh, but hang on, neither does Parker, in that case it better be Brad, but I hate goalies as captain.

Thing is, next season I'd expect Sandro to be first choice over Parker. Especially considering Sandro's end of season form. Parker did superbly last year, he was my player of the year, but I wouldn't give him the Captaincy purely based on the fact I don't think he'll play as much.

I cant choose. As MK says Parker isnt a man for every game.

Kaboul is, but I havent seen leadership qualities in him.

Modric is a mouse.

I like VDVs attitude, but Im not sure he is captain material and as pointed out he rarely finishes games.

Friedel has a lot to offer, but being a GK that gets limited. Kind of pointless.

King, Dawson, Gallas.... Not regular enough.

Quite honestly I dont know who to give it to.

IF a new player had the gravitas and leadership skills to do the job, while its unusual I would be tempted to give them the armband - but only through a lack of alternatives

Players with leadership skills will lead regardless of any armband. It's not exclusively down to whoever's captain.

You'd give to a brand new player straight away?

We did with Parker.

If he's the right personality, then why not.

We certainly need to freshen up a few things this summer, and a new player as captain giving some of the too comfortable ones a kick up the arse wouldn't be a bad start.

We did with Parker.

If he's the right personality, then why not.

We certainly need to freshen up a few things this summer, and a new player as captain giving some of the too comfortable ones a kick up the arse wouldn't be a bad start.

As far as I recall Parker wasn't made club captain. I know he captained us in a few matches, but I didn't realise he was officially given club captaincy. If that was the case, then why are we even having this discussion? You don't strip someone of the captaincy, and if Redknapp announced Parker was club captain at the beginning of last season then he is again this year.

VDV for me definitely, he's first choice for his position, has experience at the top level of football and is passionate. Redknapp will probably play parker and in turn jeopardise our relationship with Sandro.

I cant choose. As MK says Parker isnt a man for every game.

Kaboul is, but I havent seen leadership qualities in him.

Modric is a mouse.

I like VDVs attitude, but Im not sure he is captain material and as pointed out he rarely finishes games.

Friedel has a lot to offer, but being a GK that gets limited. Kind of pointless.

King, Dawson, Gallas.... Not regular enough.

Quite honestly I dont know who to give it to.

IF a new player had the gravitas and leadership skills to do the job, while its unusual I would be tempted to give them the armband - but only through a lack of alternatives

Good summary. If Gallas played every week I'd give it him (assuming no Ledders), he always shows true leadership type attributes IMO: winning mentality, barking orders, organising and bringing players with him, and plays excellently nearly every time he steps on the pitch.

While I agree on what you say bout Parker... while 'Arry is manager, it may as well be Parker, cos 'Arry doesn't exactly drop Parker when fit.

Good summary. If Gallas played every week I'd give it him (assuming no Ledders), he always shows true leadership type attributes IMO: winning mentality, barking orders, organising and bringing players with him, and plays excellently nearly every time he steps on the pitch.

While I agree on what you say bout Parker... while 'Arry is manager, it may as well be Parker, cos 'Arry doesn't exactly drop Parker when fit.

But he did at the end of the season?

Im not convinced Parker is a captain. A for effort, never fault him there, but I dont see him displaying leadership skills, dragging a team through results, showing a calm head in a storm etc - things Id like to see in a captain

Injury-induced, no? And then Sandro came in and absolutely killed it, when Parker was half-fit with the Euros round the corner... would have been madness to have drop the boy Sandro.

Start of next season, if Parker is fit, he'll start and play till he gets injured...

Parker got injured, Sandro siezed the chance, Parker was then fit to start but couldn't get back into the team. And rightfully so (just like it was right that Sandro couldn't break into the team when Parker was playing well).

Im not convinced Parker is a captain. A for effort, never fault him there, but I dont see him displaying leadership skills, dragging a team through results, showing a calm head in a storm etc - things Id like to see in a captain

Well he puts his body on the line, throws himself infront of anything - I guess John Terry style?

Parker got injured, Sandro siezed the chance, Parker was then fit to start but couldn't get back into the team. And rightfully so (just like it was right that Sandro couldn't break into the team when Parker was playing well).

We'll see man. I think Parker was half fit when he came back, as referenced several times by 'Arry (mentioned the achilles problem he had several times). 'Arry ain't stupid and he ain't loyal to the point of blindness, that's not what I'm suggesting btw. I'm just saying: that Parker went out of the side due to INJURY (nothing to do with form), having not been rotated whatsoever, and he didn't get back in due to a combination of his own fitness/Sandro's form.

We'll see, as I said. Start of next season, if both Parker and Sandro are 100% fit, it'll be interesting to see who starts (presuming we play 1 of the 2 of course).... I'm putting my money on Parker.

And he'll stay in the side, until he gets injured. Pretty much how 'Arry works.

We'll see man. I think Parker was half fit when he came back, as referenced several times by 'Arry (mentioned the achilles problem he had several times). 'Arry ain't stupid and he ain't loyal to the point of blindness, that's not what I'm suggesting btw. I'm just saying: that Parker went out of the side due to INJURY (nothing to do with form), having not been rotated whatsoever, and he didn't get back in due to a combination of his own fitness/Sandro's form.

We'll see, as I said. Start of next season, if both Parker and Sandro are 100% fit, it'll be interesting to see who starts (presuming we play 1 of the 2 of course).... I'm putting my money on Parker.

And he'll stay in the side, until he gets injured. Pretty much how 'Arry works.

And that's the way it SHOULD work too. A Manager should pick what they believe their best players to be, and injuries and suspension will force rotation organically.

And that's the way it SHOULD work too. A Manager should pick what they believe their best players to be, and injuries and suspension will force rotation organically.

I don't agree.

If you believe in building a first 11 and a first 11 only, then maybe.

Which is great. Our first 11 is the gonad*s.

Only problem is, it's virtually impossible for that first 11 to go through a whole season at the same level of quality, avoid injuries, avoid suspensions.

Which as your post suggests is inevitable.. so then you need a squad. But it's pretty hard to keep a squad of players happy if they only EVER start in those circumstances, IMO.

To do that you need squad players of a certain level of quality, who possess the game to replace the missing first team players and fit into the first 11 'system', and who can accept the above conditions. Quite hard to find these type of players, based on these conditions.

'Arry is a master at building individual-driven first 11s. Less convinced bout how he can create an interchangeable squad able to rotate effectively.

But blah blah blah. This'll turn into a whole squad/rotation discussion, which I can't be arsed to roll with right now.

The point is as far as this thread goes, Parker may as well be captain IMHO, cos as we've basically agreed on, he ain't gonna get dropped unless he gets injured.

Back