• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cann we?

If we can get back to form we're very capable of getting fourth. Second half against Palace was our best half of football in some time imo. Hopefully we'll be able to build on that.

Aim should be fourth I guess. But for me the aim should mostly be to get to the best form and performances possible and see how far that takes us.
Exactly. We focus too much on position, but what we should really be focusing on is to get the most amount of points that we can. We may consider a season where we finish 4th on 67 points as being successful, but is it really as good as a season where we finish 5th on 73?

Exactly. We focus too much on position, but what we should really be focusing on is to get the most amount of points that we can. We may consider a season where we finish 4th on 67 points as being successful, but is it really as good as a season where we finish 5th on 73?

Yes it's better. Like it's better to win 1-0 in a cup final than 10-0 in the 3rd round.

No, it is not ‘as good’. It is better.

No, it is not ‘as good’. It is better.
Really? Even if the underlying numbers indicated that the 73 points should have been 78 and the 67 points should have been 60? And I know I am introducing a new parameter here, but is league position the only thing that tells us how well we did? (outside of winning it, obviously)

Last edited:
Really? Even if the underlying numbers indicated that the 73 points should have been 78 and the 67 points should have been 60? And I know I am introducing a new parameter here, but is league position the only thing that tells us how well we did? (outside of winning it, obviously)
Your position in the table is relative to your opposition in any given season. So you could have more or less points than a earlier and finish in a higher or lower position. The position itself is the only constant. So yes for me 4th and 67 points is a better league result than 5th and 73 points.

In reality though 73 points will almost always get you a minimum of 4th and 67 points rarely gets you 4th.

Your position in the table is relative to your opposition in any given season. So you could have more or less points than a earlier and finish in a higher or lower position. The position itself is the only constant. So yes for me 4th and 67 points is a better league result than 5th and 73 points.

In reality though 73 points will almost always get you a minimum of 4th and 67 points rarely gets you 4th.
This year, however, 73 points may not get us 4th. It may just be good enough for 5th. But if you would argue that it would be equally successful as the 2014/15 season where we got 5th on 64 points.

As far as the strength of the opposition is concerned, it all depends on what opposition you are referring to. In our hypothetical (and more than likely this season) example of 73 pts getting only 5th, that means that the opposition at the top half of the table is pretty strong. If that's what we want to be measured against, then I would say 73 and 5th is a better performance than 66 and 4th (the pts that got CL in the 2019/20 season).

This year, however, 73 points may not get us 4th. It may just be good enough for 5th. But if you would argue that it would be equally successful as the 2014/15 season where we got 5th on 64 points.

As far as the strength of the opposition is concerned, it all depends on what opposition you are referring to. In our hypothetical (and more than likely this season) example of 73 pts getting only 5th, that means that the opposition at the top half of the table is pretty strong. If that's what we want to be measured against, then I would say 73 and 5th is a better performance than 66 and 4th (the pts that got CL in the 2019/20 season).
I do get your thinking and I largely agree with a small caveat that for me the league performance can be better or worse but I'd separate that from the league result if you will. So the performance will vary and a 73 point point season is probably better than a 67 point return but the better result will always be whichever one has you finishing higher.

Let's hope 5th gets a CL spot as well, as I think we'd be disappointed if we ended up 6th or lower considering the make up of the chasing pack.

We are very nearly at a 2pt a game average now, and factoring in the issues we've faced that's good going...so I see no reason why we can't maintain that as things injury and squad wise start to look rosier. And 76ish pts has to be good enough for 5 th and perhaps (usually is) good enough for 4th.

Let's hope 5th gets a CL spot as well, as I think we'd be disappointed if we ended up 6th or lower considering the make up of the chasing pack.

We are very nearly at a 2pt a game average now, and factoring in the issues we've faced that's good going...so I see no reason why we can't maintain that as things injury and squad wise start to look rosier. And 76ish pts has to be good enough for 5 th and perhaps (usually is) good enough for 4th.
That may end up being a tough ask. It will all depend on how well our remaining teams do. Even if City win the CL and Pool win the EL, we might still not have enough coefficient points to get a 5th CL team, if everyone else crashes out in this round. Spain and France are closer to us than we are to Germany. Spam getting through against Freiburg (hopefully with 2 wins or a win and a draw) will go a long way to us catching up with them (and I'm hoping they concentrate on EL, given they have little chance of 4th or 5th). If all our teams make it to the next round and PSV gets by Dortmund, then we should be good. Italy looks to be a lock for 1st, I don't see France as being a threat, and Spain have already lost 4 teams. So it'll be between us and Germany.

1709823119969.png

Wouldn't it be ironic if we finished 5th, Bayern made it to the final against City, and the country coefficients were tied for 2nd? Winner would give their country an extra CL spot. We all know what would happen...

😅😅😅

"11 points off top. Game in hand. With City, Liverpool and Woolwich to play… you do the maths."

Edit: obviously the maths don't stack up, but it's a humourous thought
The thing is that we are good enough to win every one of our remaining games. Whether that will be enough is another story.

And I still cannot get over that Chelsea game. If we don't lose our heads, we win that game and we don't lose to Wolves. Probably beat or draw Villa at home too. 1 point out of 15 in that run of 5 games just wouldn't have happened. We'd have minimum an extra 5 points, meaning the argument would now be 6 points off top with a game in hand. I can't think of another time when one game has had such a cascading impact on our season.

Chelski game was incredibly annoying, but now I'm just pleased we look better game by game, with fourth place very much within our reach. It would take an epic, once in a lifetime collapse from three very good teams for us to be in contention for the title this season.

Reactions: jrh
Back