• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bundesliga - best in the world

That's a strange logic. Are you suggesting they threw the game away on purpose? I can recall countless spells of possession where Utd were chasing shadows at best -they were tactically and physically outplayed by a team that would cause many PL sides problems

Not threw it, no, they just weren't motivated for a Mickey Mouse Cup and weren't prepared or instructed or exert themselves whilst in a Premier League title race.

Hmmm, not sure to be honest. Fergie would have loved another trophy (different one too for that matter) for his CV. In my opinion they underestimated their opponents and paid the price.

Last edited:
Is it still the best in the world in terms of operating income?

I have no idea what the best league in the world is as I haven't extensively watched any league bar Premiership and La Liga so I don't have much basis to decide what league is the best but I do cringe everytime Andy Townsend or the next taco says something about the premier league obviously being the best league in the world and the rest of the clowns in the studio awkwardly nod in agreement as if the PL chairman has a sniper trained on their foreheads. Fair enough if they had opinions to back up this notion but rarely do they provide any.

Regarding teams we like/follow, I'm a Dortmund fan, have been since Metzelder, Kehl, Rosicky, Ricken, Frings, Koller, Amoroso days. Glad to see them doing so well lately, built a very good young side with some very exciting players like Gotze, Kagawa, Subotic, Gro?ƒkreutz etc.

Is it still the best in the world in terms of operating income?

I have no idea what the best league in the world is as I haven't extensively watched any league bar Premiership and La Liga so I don't have much basis to decide what league is the best but I do cringe everytime Andy Townsend or the next taco says something about the premier league obviously being the best league in the world and the rest of the clowns in the studio awkwardly nod in agreement as if the PL chairman has a sniper trained on their foreheads. Fair enough if they had opinions to back up this notion but rarely do they provide any.
It's laughable when a fairly standard event occurs in a game (last minute goal, a couple of goals in quick succession, etc.) and you sometimes get a commentator saying "And THAT'S why the Premier League is the best in the world!" as if those things don't happen in every other league. The Premier League is great, but the ott hype is so off-putting.

Those commentators are paid to promote a product and simply fall in line with the mass propaganda advertising machine

Those commentators are paid to promote a product and simply fall in line with the mass propaganda advertising machine
It was really annoying when I heard even Gary Neville using that line in a match a few weeks ago (I forget which one but I'm sure it was for a last minute goal). I just thought, come on man, you're more intelligent than that.

It's St Pauli for me. I worked in Hamburg for a couple of months, and I remember standing in the terraces thinking "I just paid 10 Euro for a ticket, I'm standing here watching the game with a smoke in one hand and a beer in the other, and the atmosphere is 10x louder than WHL with a fraction of the attendance. This is amazing".

Truly the best league in the world and we'd do well to model the Prem on it.

Does anyone here follow a particular German team, by the way? Mine's FC K?Âln, because I can relate to the characteristic underachievement.;)

I support Spurs and only Spurs.

I have never understood the need to 'support' 20 other teams in each country to make myself feel better by looking out for a winning result from those teams to make myself feel better when/if Spurs lose.

And when it comes down to it, I don't trust 'supporters' like that and I have doubts over their loyalty to Spurs. I expect it from players, but It's also there in the fans when it shouldnt be.

I have never understood the need to 'support' 20 other teams in each country to make myself feel better by looking out for a winning result from those teams to make myself feel better when/if Spurs lose.

And when it comes down to it, I don't trust 'supporters' like that and I have doubts over their loyalty to Spurs. I expect it from players, but It's also there in the fans when it shouldnt be.

I agree with this in principal (I don't really support Munich despite what I said earlier). There's no other team on the planet that can set my mood up for a whole day/week/month/year like Spurs can. I just don't have the same emotions for a lot of things in life, not just football like our bloody football club.

However, in contradiction to that, I do 'follow' Galatasaray and Barnet. Galata because I spent two years living in Istanbul and went to a fair few games. Barnet because I used to live 30 seconds away from Underhill and it's my birth hometown. Neither hold a candle to Spurs though.

It's St Pauli for me. I worked in Hamburg for a couple of months, and I remember standing in the terraces thinking "I just paid 10 Euro for a ticket, I'm standing here watching the game with a smoke in one hand and a beer in the other, and the atmosphere is 10x louder than WHL with a fraction of the attendance. This is amazing".

Truly the best league in the world and we'd do well to model the Prem on it.

Have to agree about Sankt Pauli best team by far in the Bundesliga.

Ridiculous, and poorly-thought out at best. I already spend 300 out of 365 days a year worrying endlessly about Spurs, plus the other sixty-five pleading with the football gods to let us sign someone half-decent for once. That's 'support'. Following a team is a different, altogether more mellow experience. You crack a smile when you see them doing well, and you frown when you see them doing badly. That's really about it. Do I care much that Koln sacked Stale Solbakken? no, not really. Do I care they're selling Podolski? yeah, I feel a bit sad about it. Do I feel as bad as I would if we sold Bale? Hardly.

But when it comes down to it, a match between FC Koln and Spurs, who would I be supporting? I'd be roaring in anger at Modric misplacing a pass or Adebayor missing an open goal the same as I always would. I'd celebrate if we won, like I always would. I'd moan and fall into blackest depressions if we lost, like I always would. That won't really change.

Your narrow, excessively dogmatic view of what constitutes football support is rather mystifying to see. Do you never crack a smile when a small team rushes up to beat the big boys? Never feel a bit of joy at an underdog triumphing? Never a sense of satisfaction at seeing a team run the right way, with the right support, winning something?

If you do, you're as much of a supposed 'disloyal' supporter as I am. If you don't, then you're a rather miserable individual when it comes to the sport you follow.

Football is a game. yes, it is Spurs first and everything else second for all of us. But that 'everything else' part is still there. It's nothing you should ignore completely and blind yourself to, like some sort of bizarre cult in a darkened room paying homage to the statue of Jason Dozzell you shower with ritualistic sacrifices every day. It's a wonderful sport that encompasses the entire world; try looking at it for once.

would there be any kind of potential racial backlash if i went to game do you guys think?

i think there are one or two clubs which have a bad reputation when it comes to this kind of stuff, Hamburg are the obvious ones that comes to mind - wouldn't have thought it's a wide scale problem though, but then i don't really know. probably worth looking in to if you are planning going to see a specific club/match

Ridiculous, and poorly-thought out at best. I already spend 300 out of 365 days a year worrying endlessly about Spurs, plus the other sixty-five pleading with the football gods to let us sign someone half-decent for once. That's 'support'. Following a team is a different, altogether more mellow experience. You crack a smile when you see them doing well, and you frown when you see them doing badly. That's really about it. Do I care much that Koln sacked Stale Solbakken? no, not really. Do I care they're selling Podolski? yeah, I feel a bit sad about it. Do I feel as bad as I would if we sold Bale? Hardly.

But when it comes down to it, a match between FC Koln and Spurs, who would I be supporting? I'd be roaring in anger at Modric misplacing a pass or Adebayor missing an open goal the same as I always would. I'd celebrate if we won, like I always would. I'd moan and fall into blackest depressions if we lost, like I always would. That won't really change.

Your narrow, excessively dogmatic view of what constitutes football support is rather mystifying to see. Do you never crack a smile when a small team rushes up to beat the big boys? Never feel a bit of joy at an underdog triumphing? Never a sense of satisfaction at seeing a team run the right way, with the right support, winning something?

If you do, you're as much of a supposed 'disloyal' supporter as I am. If you don't, then you're a rather miserable individual when it comes to the sport you follow.

Football is a game. yes, it is Spurs first and everything else second for all of us. But that 'everything else' part is still there. It's nothing you should ignore completely and blind yourself to, like some sort of bizarre cult in a darkened room paying homage to the statue of Jason Dozzell you shower with ritualistic sacrifices every day. It's a wonderful sport that encompasses the entire world; try looking at it for once.

Good post.

would there be any kind of potential racial backlash if i went to game do you guys think?

Eastern German clubs are the ones with more of a problem with racism, I think. St.Pauli is fairly low risk, because of their extreme left-wing views, and most of the bigger clubs (Bayern, Schalke, Dortmund) have measures in place to protect against it. There are always going to be problems with racism; that minority won't go away for a long while yet. And in European football, it is a bigger concern than in the Prem. But I'd argue that the chances would be fairly low. It's your decision, though.

Back