• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Budget £50m. Which three would you buy?

I think that is true to some extent, however if we don't look to replace at least some of the weakest players in our team (IMO these are Fazio/Dier, Mason, Lamela, Chadli) then we are not going to progress. I don't think it would harm Mason's or Bentaleb's development if we brought in Schneiderlin for example. If we assume we're going to play 50 games next season then that would potentially be 33 games each for the three of them in the non attacking central midfield positions.

Also, as I've said before, I don't see Ings as being a good understudy for Kane at all, Ings looks to be a player who would either play as the support striker in a 4-4-2 or play as the number 10 type central player in our 3 behind the forward. If Kane is out through injury, suspension or needing a rest then I think we would seriously struggle with Ings leading the line up top. By all means we can bring in Ings as an alternative to Eriksen, but we're still stuck without a viable alternative to Kane.
Yep some sense in this post but I'm not sure we're really looking for a support striker. I think the number 10 slot is the one position we don't need anyone so I wouldn't use that criteria as a justification for buying Ings. Our cup overfloweth with number 10 type players or guys who could do a decent job there - Eriksen and Demebele both used there, Lamela touted as a number potential number 10 (which I'd like to see tried actually), Carroll looked ok in that position against Malaysia and Mason has played there for the development teams. Kane can do a job there and we even have Holtby coming back in a pinch. I nearly forgot Pritchard!!!

I think we need a top quality striker that can stand in for Kane and play with him if we go with 2 up top. Is that Ings? I don't think so myself.

I think that is true to some extent, however if we don't look to replace at least some of the weakest players in our team (IMO these are Fazio/Dier, Mason, Lamela, Chadli) then we are not going to progress. I don't think it would harm Mason's or Bentaleb's development if we brought in Schneiderlin for example. If we assume we're going to play 50 games next season then that would potentially be 33 games each for the three of them in the non attacking central midfield positions.

Also, as I've said before, I don't see Ings as being a good understudy for Kane at all, Ings looks to be a player who would either play as the support striker in a 4-4-2 or play as the number 10 type central player in our 3 behind the forward. If Kane is out through injury, suspension or needing a rest then I think we would seriously struggle with Ings leading the line up top. By all means we can bring in Ings as an alternative to Eriksen, but we're still stuck without a viable alternative to Kane.

I'm expecting Fazio, Dier and Mason to step up significantly in what will be their second seasons. And Lamela and Chadli were both showing signs of progress last season (although both had noticeable mid-season slumps). I just think we need a bit of patience with some of these, clearly very talented, players. The disruption of overhauls harms us far more than it ever achieves. I'd rather we back organic growth for once.

I think Ings suffers from the same thing Robbie Keane did. Because he's not quite 6', people assume he is a #10. But he's not at all. He's very mobile and runs the channels, much like Kane. To me the key with Ings at #9 is having a bigger WF up close to him (which Chadli is perfect for).

I'm expecting Fazio, Dier and Mason to step up significantly in what will be their second seasons. And Lamela and Chadli were both showing signs of progress last season (although both had noticeable mid-season slumps). I just think we need a bit of patience with some of these, clearly very talented, players. The disruption of overhauls harms us far more than it ever achieves. I'd rather we back organic growth for once.

I think Ings suffers from the same thing Robbie Keane did. Because he's not quite 6', people assume he is a #10. But he's not at all. He's very mobile and runs the channels, much like Kane. To me the key with Ings at #9 is having a bigger WF up close to him (which Chadli is perfect for).

Keane also encouraged that myth that he could play as a 10, he was so much better off a target man like Mido/Berbatov etc.

Keane also encouraged that myth that he could play as a 10, he was so much better off a target man like Mido/Berbatov etc.

Massively

The real Keane goalscorer came when he had a link up man and fed off them. It meant he had to play instinctively which suited him

Massively

The real Keane goalscorer came when he had a link up man and fed off them. It meant he had to play instinctively which suited him

Agreed, amazed me that Keane/Berbs were close to the best striking pair in Europe playing Berb deep, Keane front, and the clubs who bought them tried to play Keane deep and Berbs forward and it just never worked the same.

1) Ings - £12m

2) Ayew - free

3) Cambiasso - free

(with £38m towards the stadium fund).

I genuinely think team spirit, organic growth and players who complement our ethos and system are much more important than exotic shiny new toys.

Great suggestion GB. Would really add something we every much need to our midfield and a hell of a lot of experience for the youngers to learn from.

I have a feeling that Depay will not be as good as people think.
Memphis_Depay_2013-14.png

Shame on you.

We should have spent £25M on Depay and the other £25M on convincing him to come to us instead of Utd.

Not a chance in a gazillion that anyone would chose us over United at the moment - glamour, CL, LVG, Rooney, wages etc etc. Dream on - even with a £25m bribe!

Anyway, I think Depay may well turn into another Balotelli. Time will tell.

The difference being that Keane played in a 4-4-2. And there is a big difference playing as a number 9 in a 4-4-2 and the 4-2-3-1 that we play.

Agreed, amazed me that Keane/Berbs were close to the best striking pair in Europe playing Berb deep, Keane front, and the clubs who bought them tried to play Keane deep and Berbs forward and it just never worked the same.

I think that's a little unfair on Berbs, who fired Man Utd to the PL title the season he went there and had a very good goal record for his entire time at that club.

I think that's a little unfair on Berbs, who fired Man Utd to the PL title the season he went there and had a very good goal record for his entire time at that club.

not saying he failed, he just wasn't utilized well (and yes, that is a SAF mistake imo), and could have been so much more for them.

not saying he failed, he just wasn't utilized well (and yes, that is a SAF mistake imo), and could have been so much more for them.

I think Ferguson used him right, played him against all the smaller teams that tend to sit back as he can pull off that necessary bit of magic.

Whether Rooney was the better choice all the other times is debatable though.

Back