• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan Johnson

I think I posted on here last year that I hoped we’d get him (I think I said I hope we can sign him after Forest get relegated so got that bit wrong but liked Johnson as a player from when I saw him dominating in the Championship despite being under 20 (any player that can do that should be a target for Spurs)

Likewise, I even think there was a thread about youngsters or championship players we should look at and we both called it.

I think I posted on here last year that I hoped we’d get him (I think I said I hope we can sign him after Forest get relegated so got that bit wrong but liked Johnson as a player from when I saw him dominating in the Championship despite being under 20 (any player that can do that should be a target for Spurs)

Fair enough

I too haven't noticed him being special; so for that sort of money I was looking at other players.

But I'm hoping he's twice the player I saw, just like Maddison turned out to be.

So after reading the hype etc what we are saying is that he will be worth over £2bn in the near future since Alex Scott was the one that got away and is easily going to be worth that and more ...

So after reading the hype etc what we are saying is that he will be worth over £2bn in the near future since Alex Scott was the one that got away and is easily going to be worth that and more ...

What happened to Alex Scott?

Been watching some highlights on Youtube, he looks very two footed to the point where I'm not sure what his stronger foot is (but if pushed I'd go right). Also read he only played once off the left last season. Ideally I'd like to see him on the left with Son in the middle Kulusevski right. I wonder why he hasn't been playing out on the left much? Is that a Cooper tactics thing or does he just prefer it on the right? Excited by the signing for sure, looks a good, balanced footballer and not just a speed merchant in the Anthony, Gervinho mould.

I always thought Brennan was a decent player. He has looked alright playing against us, but I'm not sure if Gibbs-White would've been better.

It is nice to have another RW option though, I think we need it considering that Kulu has been IMO hot-and-cold. He scored against Bournemouth but against Burnley, he held onto the ball for way too long in certain instances. Also doesn't notice players making runs even if they're right next to him. Also, I think he likes to cut inside too often and it becomes predictable. He's more dangerous IMO when breaking through the last line and cutting the ball back to the edge of the box. If he's capable of cutting inside or driving to the byline, that would at least make him slightly less predictable and would be better for his end-product. Or just releasing the ball sooner.

With all that said, Deki can be a very good player for us as he has shown. I don't know if Brennan is the right option, and as many of you have mentioned, "the right option at that price point." Hopefully both players can find success and strike up partnerships with Royal and Porro, as well as the midfielders.

Believe he was the fastest player in championship and 2nd fastest player clocked in PL (Walker still holds top speed clocked).

I think people need to move away from the old Spurs (includes Jose/Conte/Poch/Harry) that we required a WC player to do something on their own (a Bale/Kane/Eriksen), players like Solomon, Johnson will be better than their base ability because they fit the system, e.g. Johnson, Son, Solomon, VDV, Udogie, Porro means the team has a lot of pace in it, the fact that pretty much everyone in the main squad bar Son is under 26 means we can play the press/pressure game in ways our previous teams couldn't think of.

Saw some YouTube thing where Dan James was faster and Johnson agreed with it. I think it was speed on FIFA games, dunno how accurate it is.

1. his dribbling ability. He's one of those few that can outrun most other players whilst dribbling a football. And he tends to control the ball well even at pace. At full pelt, a standing defender facing him stands little chance.
  2. he can shoot. Shows signs of being able to finish well. More to come though.
  3. he's tenacious. He's not a pampered speed merchant who waits for the ball. He will track and tackle with the best of them, and uses his speed to win the ball.
Will be interesting to see how he is deployed. He could drop deep to help break through lines. He has that ability to run past people and disrupt, pulling the opposition out of shape. But ultimately his best work should be as a forward. He can round full-backs and cross from the by line, or create space to shoot himself. And it's this part of his game that he needs to develop and nail. It is promising already, but if he can hone his shooting, he has all the ability to open spaces for himself to get shots off.

We have an exciting team to watch develop again. I don't believe he'll hit Bale-heights. He's not the physical beast that Bale was in his pomp. And Bale's finishing was exceptional. But Johnson has serious pace and hints of serious ability too. If that ability develops we should have another player to watch ascend the ranks of the elite.

Here's a video compilation to back up your astute assessment:

Didn’t realize he’s a penalty taker as well, always useful to have.

Really don’t understand the ambivalence towards the signing from some, always looked like a decent player to me, tore up the Championship and more than held his own last season as a young attacking player in a struggling side.

Really don’t understand the ambivalence towards the signing from some, always looked like a decent player to me, tore up the Championship and more than held his own last season as a young attacking player in a struggling side.

I think part of it comes from people going all in on players they want to see, anything else seems second best.

Everyone is a fudging expert, reality is almost all of us are in no position to judge a player we have probably see play less than 5 times and weren't concentrating on them.

People actually did a youtube analysis of why Vicario was brick based on a set of highlight videos ..

This is the problem with the world today, the internet/social media makes people think having an opinion makes you an expert and that watching youtube is equal to people that actually do something as a profession

Everyone is a fudging expert, reality is almost all of us are in no position to judge a player we have probably see play less than 5 times and weren't concentrating on them.

People actually did a youtube analysis of why Vicario was brick based on a set of highlight videos ..

This is the problem with the world today, the internet/social media makes people think having an opinion makes you an expert and that watching youtube is equal to people that actually do something as a profession

There is an element of people dying on their sword and not admitting they were wrong. I think, as bizarre as it sounds, some would prefer players to fail sometimes as long as it meant they could say "told you so"

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone's got one, and they're often full of brick.

My disappointment about Johnson is due to:

1. Him not being an out-and-out striker to replace Kane -- the goalscoring half of Kane, anyway.

2. Him costing almost £50m. We have a terrible track record with big-money signings.

If Johnson had come in for £30m as a quick young CF with Prem experience and an eye for goal, I'd be a very happy man. But I'd only seen him as a winger / IF.

Fingers crossed that he turns into the lilywhite Terry Henry :)

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone's got one, and they're often full of brick.

My disappointment about Johnson is due to:

1. Him not being an out-and-out striker to replace Kane -- the goalscoring half of Kane, anyway.

2. Him costing almost £50m. We have a terrible track record with big-money signings.

If Johnson had come in for £30m as a quick young CF with Prem experience and an eye for goal, I'd be a very happy man. But I'd only seen him as a winger / IF.

Fingers crossed that he turns into the lilywhite Terry Henry :)

All of those are fair observations, my response/opinion would be

- Ange isn't trying to replace Kane (that would be a mistake in a 1:1 way), and apparently wasn't really looking for a #9
- £50M is the new £25M, our purchases in the summer of Rice, Caicedo, Havertz, Hojlund, Mount, etc are actually all on the lower end of price scale

All of those are fair observations, my response/opinion would be

- Ange isn't trying to replace Kane (that would be a mistake in a 1:1 way), and apparently wasn't really looking for a #9
- £50M is the new £25M, our purchases in the summer of Rice, Caicedo, Havertz, Hojlund, Mount, etc are actually all on the lower end of price scale

While I agree with you, I still think some of the Prem spending this summer has reeked of panic buying. Chelsea and ManU are desperate and have plenty of cash to spend, and of course the selling clubs have had no reason to sell for any less.

As always, the risk for the less thrifty clubs is lower, as they can throw money at 5 players and hope 2 of them work out. When you can only buy 3, however, the odds just aren't as good. So better to spend more on a sure thing than buy in another Soldado or (worse!) Ndombele. See? I'm still trying to convince myself!

Last edited:
Back