• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

BMJ

Leaving results and footy aside, I have to say, as a bloke Martin Jol is probably my fave Spurs manager.

I've just had a look on Youtube for it, but I can't find it, but there's a great vid of him at a Spurs fan's forum where he's talking about Santini, and taking over, and it's brilliant.

I'll have a hunt about in case anyone hasn't seen it...

Tried looking but can't it anywhere. It's the one where he's sitting next to Paul Robinson.

I think it's in the 2006/2007 season review. He answers a question saying how he had genuinely always wanted to manage Spurs and jumped at the chance to join us when Frank Arnesen approached him. Then Arnesen tells him we're after a big name coach after the horrible Hughton/Pleat caretaker season, but the big man still comes as he knows Santini will be out the door by January at the latest!

I laughed when watching it but that all sounds like a pretty apalling way of doing business now that I've typed it all out.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...erheads-with-fulham-as-he-edges-close-to-exit

Jol at loggerheads with Fulham as he edges close to exit door

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Martin Jol could be edging towards the Fulham exit door as his relationship with the club reaches breaking point, Goal.com understands.

The Dutchman is at loggerheads with senior officials over his contract negotiations and the club’s recruitment strategy amid concern they could get sucked into a relegation battle.

Schalke have targeted Jol to take over as their new manager in the summer after dismissing Huub Stevens last month and appointing youth-team coach Jens Keller in an interim capacity until the end of the season.

The former Tottenham, Ajax and Hamburg manager, whose current deal expires in June, has said publicly that Fulham have approached him about activating the clause in his contract that would extend his stay at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2014.

But Goal.com understands that, following early negotiations last October, Fulham have held back from offering the extension and Jol’s position now is under greater threat than at any point in his 18-month reign.

“Relations are strained between the manager and the board,” a source explained. “They are not agreeing on a lot of things.”

One area of contention is believed to be recruitment, with Fulham concerned that Jol has stockpiled the squad with too many attacking midfielders.

Senior club officials believe there is a need for more cover at full-back, in central midfield and in the goalkeeping position, where incumbent Mark Schwarzer has turned 40 and is out of contract in the summer.

“Fulham want him to be realistic and focus on the right players here and now,” the source added. “Martin has a scattergun approach. He has accumulated a lot of creative attacking players in comparison to quality defenders or players who can protect the defence.”

Fulham’s targets this month include Jordan Henderson, Yann M’Vila and Derek Boateng in midfield, and Jack Butland in goal, while the Londoners have also enquired about taking Andrey Arshavin on loan from Arsenal. However, there is no deal in the immediate pipeline.

The club have made two January signings, but both midfielder Chris David, 19, and versatile defender-cum-midfielder Noe Baba, 16, are regarded as players for the future rather than first-teamers.

Fulham have won three of their last 16 matches, and only two of their last 15 league games, since beginning the season strongly.

It is believed there is no immediate danger of Jol being dismissed but owner and chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed will not hesitate to pull the trigger if league results do not improve and Fulham plummet down the table.

Fulham are aware of Schalke’s interest in Jol and believe it is being used as leverage by the 57-year-old to get his own way on both his contract issue and potential transfer targets.

“All three options are possible at the moment,” the source added. “One, things don’t improve and he gets sacked; two, ride with it until the end of the season and he signs a new contract; three, get to the end of the season and he signs a contract with Schalke.”

The scattergun approach comment is insightful. I remember talking with Arnesen back in 2004/5 about policy, and he made comments which added up to 'if you have enough young talent around you just see what sticks to the wall and go with that' which suggested to me less of a dedicated way of working and more of a 'hoover up the young talent and see which works out'...the two were, as we all know, strong work-mates.

Back