• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Big Summer Clearout?

In what way exactly? Position? Role? Style of play?

How would you fit both of them together in a team?

For me Sigurdsson plays as the most attacking out of 3 central midfielders for Swansea in a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-4-1-1 type formation. This is also the position VdV is at his best in, although I have seen VdV do well in other positions as well.

Sigurdsson is energetic, can do his fair share defensively and has played numerous times in the cm position. I've argue before that VDV can also play a deeper position well and does it for holland but if we signed Sigurddson i'd play him and parker as the cm's and Rafa in front of them. He's the sort of player that will drive us forward imo.

One starts from a deep position and goes forward and the other one starts from a more advanced position and drops deep. It would work perfectly imo and we'd actually have a runner from the centre that will bomb forward and create space when vdv has dropped deep to pick up the ball.

Ok so your team would basically be:

----------------Friedel------------------
Walker-----Dawson-----Kaboul-----Ekotto
Lennon----Sigurdsson---Parker-----Bale
------------------VdV-----------------
----------------Adebayor-------------

Sigurdsson is energetic, can do his fair share defensively and has played numerous times in the cm position. I've argue before that VDV can also play a deeper position well and does it for holland but if we signed Sigurddson i'd play him and parker as the cm's and Rafa in front of them. He's the sort of player that will drive us forward imo.

Where have you seen him play well in a CM position? From what I've seen he's only played the attacking midfield role for Swansea. And from what I've heard/read and seen (2-3 games) he started well in Germany playing that same AM position and got goals etc. But then when moved into a CM position he was largely ineffective and the problem that he could only play that one position was the reason he struggled to get games and why he was loaned to Swansea.

I know VdV has played that deep role for Holland, but I struggle to see how either of those players would be good enough defensively to be in that role in the PL apart from against poor sides.

One starts from a deep position and goes forward and the other one starts from a more advanced position and drops deep. It would work perfectly imo and we'd actually have a runner from the centre that will bomb forward and create space when vdv has dropped deep to pick up the ball.

As I said, different ways of playing. However they both provide the attacking impetus from the middle of the park with little defensive duty. Regardless of the finer details they provide very similar to their teams, they would not be compatible in the same team.

Where have you seen him play well in a CM position? From what I've seen he's only played the attacking midfield role for Swansea. And from what I've heard/read and seen (2-3 games) he started well in Germany playing that same AM position and got goals etc. But then when moved into a CM position he was largely ineffective and the problem that he could only play that one position was the reason he struggled to get games and why he was loaned to Swansea.

I know VdV has played that deep role for Holland, but I struggle to see how either of those players would be good enough defensively to be in that role in the PL apart from against poor sides.

For reading i'm pretty sure he played most (i.e. 75%) of games in a cm. I do not remember him playing in an advanced position and i didn't see him in the German league so i can't talk about that. For swansea he's played the advanced role but the guy tracks back and is pretty good at putting tackles in and defending. Was lampard in his prime good at defending to you? to me he was good and sigurddson's game is identical to his. He has the raw ingredients to be a Lampard clone (i.e. start deep and go forward) and to me he's nothing like Rafa.

For reading i'm pretty sure he played most (i.e. 75%) of games in a cm. I do not remember him playing in an advanced position and i didn't see him in the German league so i can't talk about that. For swansea he's played the advanced role but the guy tracks back and is pretty good at putting tackles in and defending. Was lampard in his prime good at defending to you? to me he was good and sigurddson's game is identical to his. He has the raw ingredients to be a Lampard clone (i.e. start deep and go forward) and to me he's nothing like Rafa.

I agree with this. We need midfielders who actually contribute goals other than Bale. Sigurdsson always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He gets himself into excellent positions. We wouldn't have to pay a great deal for him either.

As I said, different ways of playing. However they both provide the attacking impetus from the middle of the park with little defensive duty. Regardless of the finer details they provide very similar to their teams, they would not be compatible in the same team.

Ok well that's your opinion and i honestly think they would work wonderfully but neither of us can prove it. We'll just have to wait until he signs for another club (will be gooners or pool imo) and see how he's played. I personally think Wenger will deploy him as a cm and at Liverpool he'd play the advanced role but we shall see.

Diego i wouldn't want us to start the new season with a Kaboul + Dawson partnership.

Lampard at his goal scoring best was alright defensively. Was always laughable when England used Gerrard and Lampard in the centre because the best one defensively of the pair of them was Gerrard and they somehow managed to not get the best out of either player.

Lampard to me was at his best when playing alongside two very hard working players (Essien, Makelele for example), giving him the freedom to roam forward and also stay forward when he wanted to. Seems to me quite similar to Sigurdsson, and also VdV in that regard. If either one of those 3 players was given a deeper role out of a 3 man midfield or a role in a 2 man midfield I don't think you would see a lot of goals and I think you would see some average to poor defending.

If I was going to put the two of them together in a midfield it would be with a proper DM behind them:

Sigurdsson----VdV
-------Parker-----

Would work quite well I think. The 3 of them should cope defensively and then Sigurdsson and VdV could take turns pushing furthest forward when attacking. But I don't think it would work as well as Parker-Modric-VdV and I don't think it would be any better than Huddlestone-Parker-VdV - both giving VdV that in the hole role he currently plays in.

I really don't think we need to change that much in midfield if Modric goes. I think huddlestone would really flourish with someone like parker besides him in a 4-2-3-1

---------Huddlestone-------Parker-------------
---------------------VDV---------------------
--Lennon...........................................Bale--
........................Striker................................

With parker relieving him most of the defensive responsibility and all that movement infornt of him we would really be playing to his strenghts. I think he could be awsome for us!

Defence is another matter all together. We need some new faces, but what we need most of all is stability. Having 4 cb's taking turn beeing injured, and never playing more than 3 matches together in a row is really hurting us.

I really don't think we need to change that much in midfield if Modric goes. I think huddlestone would really flourish with someone like parker besides him in a 4-2-3-1

---------Huddlestone-------Parker-------------
---------------------VDV---------------------
--Lennon...........................................Bale--
........................Striker................................

With parker relieving him most of the defensive responsibility and all that movement infornt of him we would really be playing to his strenghts. I think he could be awsome for us!

Defence is another matter all together. We need some new faces, but what we need most of all is stability. Having 4 cb's taking turn beeing injured, and never playing more than 3 matches together in a row is really hurting us.

I agree, unless we could get in someone truly exciting like Javi Martinez or Nuri Sahin I'm not sure we should spend a lot of money on someone to step right into the starting 11 when we have Huddlestone. We should still try to get someone in to provide backup/be a squad player though and/or perhaps someone for the future if we can find someone. Might not be top of the wish list for most people, but I quite like Diame at Wigan and he will be available on a free or tribunal this summer I think. Bring him in for free as a squad player. Possibly bring in some youngster who could come good in a couple of years and we would be alright.

Spending ?ú10-25m on the next Barry/Milner/Charlie Adam/Meireles would be bad business and bad for our football as it would probably mean less playing time for Hudd.

Nuri Sahin would be an ideal replacement for Modric, imo. If Real want Luka, we should inquire about a part exchange involving Sahin plus 20-25 million.

Thoroughly agreed. The damage has been done now so Redknapp has to go regardless of the offer being made.

The week after the season ends should be when Levy makes his move, not a day after. Lets get the new man in and get moving with transfers early for once.

Agreed. First priority is a new manager. Then it will be up to the new manager who he wants and who he doesnt.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/gylfi-sigurdsson/leistungsdaten/spieler_90466.html

This data shows that Sigurdsson has not played CM yet.He is doing brilliantly for Swansea in the AM role,it's a bit of a mystery why he was getting such low ratings in Germany.
Anyhow,if Modric leaves,I hope Huddlestone will replace him,he has already proven what a great player he can be for us.

Striker
Bale- VdV - Lennon
Huddlestone-Parker

If we sell Modric,I d really like us to splash out the money on a world class and proven striker.Adebayor is great,but his first touch lets him down very often and his finishing is mediocre.

If Modric goes, it'd be a must to bring in Hazard.

--------- Striker ---------
Bale -- Hazard -- Lennon
----- Parker - Hudd -----

Would scare the poo out of teams.

@KD.....i assumed sigurdsson would be paying at the tip of the midfield three?

put it this way, is he mobile enough to defend from a CM position? and defend well? by this i mean ...at least to the level of modric and thudd.

Back